Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I put a flathead in my 1950 mercury?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950-mercury, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mr.32

mr.32

Run what you're" running buddies" are running. You gotta keep up. Leave the hood down! Traditional ? Air conditioning ? Heh it's your car ! Do what you want.

2. I drive 65 - 75mph in overdrive 112 miles round trip to work using flathead power. I have no issues with reliability and it actually gets decent mileage. I wouldn't hesitate to take off across country with it at the drop of a hat.

3. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

I think a SBC is cool in a rider mower or Chevy Vega ,but not in a hot rod. What if it was a 1950 Harley barn find with no motor...would anyone suggest replacing it with a honda? Hey it would be way faster, get better mpg and parts are cheap....and ya it would look like shit. The motor is the bike and the motor is the hot rod...so go with the flattie and when someone asks what your runnin' you can open the hood with pride.

4. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Small block Chevy cool , but not in a hotrod ?? Thats probably the dumbest statement I've ever heard! Jesus, what the hell is the matter with you ??

5. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Nothing worse than seeing a nice old Merc or Ford with a SBC in it... my $0.02. Also, AC is not traditional.. not to me at least.

6. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

What the Hell is the color of you guy's sky?? Do you realize they made SBC in 1955??

7. 390kid

390kid

i dont know man. is that you in the cut offs and the white reboks. you can have your sbc. GFY

8. Flathead-- no way car is to, FAT WAY TO FAT!!!

'' Real hot rods don't have fenders ''

9. jfrolka

jfrolka

Flathead all the way. However, I would definitely consider a Cadillac 331 as an alternate. Any of these motors definitely backed by the factory 3 speed OD trans from the merc.

I have my flathead slowly going together while I went ahead and dropped in an early 283 chev with an adapter to the merc 3 speed trans with od. I have a ford 8 out back with 2.79 gear in it. It should be getting 710-15 tires on it.

Good luck picking your poison.

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

IMO, if you have a Flathead, run a Flathead!
    There a 2 ways to find out if it's a good idea; ask a friend you trust, or mount it! If it takes you 5yr to break you had a great run/great fun.

My philosophie on hot rods is get it in, and get going with what you got. And when somethings disapoints you or goes to slow, upgrade!

Did the merc run flat' before? Or does it have CSB mount and stuff. If so, it's a No-brainer!
    All motors can be rebuilt to work better, and still be broken! Just my two cents.

11. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

My sky is Washington Blue! Hahaha
    Vintage SBC is cool.. 350/350 is lame.. T-5's too!

12. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

["It's better to be thought a Fuckin Idiot, than to open your mouth,and remove All doubt" Try to remember that !!

QUOTE=390kid;8029709]i dont know man. is that you in the cut offs and the white reboks. you can have your sbc. GFY[/QUOTE]

13. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

It is perfectly ok to put a Ford motor in a ford car.
    Flatheads are neither easy or cheap but man their sweet

14. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I'd go with a Flathead.
    I just picked up a 53 F-100 with 47k original miles. Yes, from teh original owner also.
    I really didn't see the excitement over the flat head. Until I drove this one. Yeah it does blow the doors of much of anything..but it is a blast to drive. A few upgrades in the right areas...(cooling) Radiator and water pumps, (power) drop in dizzy module, (exhuast) free flowing headers and no crossover oil pan soaker pipe, (heads,carbs) better air flow and heat dissapation and fuel pressure...This trucks going to be a great little cruising machine.

15. kracker36

kracker36

It is really funny to me when I see the following: A Ford hot rod that has a 900.00 radiator, 1500.00 intake / carb. combo and a 350 chevy crate motor with an owner who justifies the engine because it was cheaper and easier to install. Why dont these guys just build a Chevy car--------they are cheaper.

16. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Easy?? Whats not easy about a flathead? I bought my re-built 50 flathead for less than a 350 crate engine...

17. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

traditional? run the flathead and use one of those window-mount a/c units (swamp coolers?) like you see on the lowriders!

18. Flathead
    Flathead
    Flathead
    Flathead

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

19. oldratrodders

oldratrodders

Its your car build it how you want it. I have had flattys and sb they are all good engines no matter what. I have run flattys on the power tour with no problems, ac is not vintage but thats why you buy a swamp cooler. If its really hot then buy a cooler and a bag of sonic ice and load that sucker up. I have a truck that has a merc flatty in it, had been sitting since '89 got it home change oil hooked up a tank to it, put some lube in the cylinders and fired it up next day, its a daily driver when i am home. i drive big trucks so i come home once a month and thats what i run around in. just got to get right gears, i have a 4 speed granny and 4.11 with 8.20 15s on back and run 60 all the time. I do want to put a merc aod behind it and drop to 3.00 but it works for now. The only way to know what you want is to experience it.

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

It's YOUR ride,....But I'd say FLATHEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

21. fatkoop

fatkoop

amen.

22. coldtexan

coldtexan

I have a 1950 Merc coupe with the flathead. May not be the fastest but it looks great and the sound with smitties is hard to beat. I am considering A/C as well and has been converted to 12V. I live in Arizona so it gets a bit warm here. P1010061.JPG 100_1124.JPG P7270096.JPG