Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small bodied alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonmad, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Airplane alternator. Very tiny and can put out a good amount of amps, but can be kind of spendy.

2. Some of the light japanese comercials with diesel engines ( Nissan Patrol/safari , Pathfinder etc ) have an alternator that has a vacuum pump on the back of it,
    you might consider one of these , remove the vacuum pump and couple the shaft to your power steer pump .

3. I used a small nippon one from a daihatsu.
    [​IMG]

4. brady1929

brady1929

Hey Aussie oldie, do to have a part number that you can share?

5. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Use a drive shaft mounted alt on a switch so you can turn it off when not needed. It would be its own system to control amps to battery. Works good used this set up on a race car.

6. davidfe

davidfe
    from Illinois

I just looked and they are only about 45-50 Amps depending on the model. Pretty pricy approx. $ 200.00 or more.

I recall picking some up off the GM small 4L when I was in the salvage
    yards in the late 1990's . Don't recall much except they were small
    and looked decent compared to the ones off of V8s.

Many of the cars were transverse mount and had A/C. Would guess these would work for OP.

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

late '80s Toyota 4runner gets you v belt pulley

8. Those are cool as hell, but $ 6xx.oo for 22 amps isn't .

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why are you burning out the generator? I would look into that issue first, the AC shouldn't hurt it, you need an amp draw test to be sure what the issue is, when the ac is on current is being pulled for the blower motor in the car, the AC compressor clutch, and if you have an electric fan,it may be running all the time, if the car is moving .that fan may not need to be operating,but might be drawing a bunch of amps. if it's running all the time, you need a switch to keep the AC from running the fan when you are moving,or possibly an rpm switch and relay to turn off the AC fan control in a certain RPM window, EG if the engine was running above a certain rpm the car would probably be moving

10. I asked the guys at my favorite bone yard this several years ago. Geo metro was the smallest that he knew of or ever saw, but his disclaimer was that not knowledgeable about foreign stuff.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Now that would be a hell of a lot of stuff hanging off that poor old generator. But it would save a belt! Maybe you can post a pic of it.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yep, those springy thingys! Used them years ago to drive encoders for testing, work real well.

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Build a mounting bracket to mount a cheap little alternator in front of the water pump and use a "lovejoy" coupler to connect alternator and water pump shafts. But before doing that have a longer shaft installed that protrudes through the back of the alternator and modify the rear bearing for the through shaft. Attach a fan hub to the protruding alternator shaft, and presto, you have the alternator hidden by the fan shroud. Of course you have to watch the depth of the fan blades, but from what I can remember on my 59 Chevy, there was quite a bit of room before the fan hit the shroud.

Another fun idea: why not get one of those alternator/motor (I call them dynamos) things from the stop/start mobiles and put that down where the starter is! Hell yeah!

Man, I have too much time on my hands!:eek:

14. Hi brady1929, Here's a good link with some info. ''westfield-world.com''
    The alternator is from a 1 litre or 1.3 charade from the early '90s I think.
    I got it from another rodder who had it on a SBC. I couldn't see any part # on it. I think they are about 50 amp.

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

It's a dihatsu charade, I think they only built a couple of models, if you get one of those make sure you get the plug that plugs into the regulator, you never see those at yards so it would be hard to find, A friend of mine had one growing out of his yard for years very strange ugly little shit