Register now to get rid of these ads!

JE Pistons for a Cragar OHV banger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazlobassett, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Going through my B motor and looking to order new pistons from JE, I had a look through the Banger meet but didn't find what I was looking for.

The custom piston guy asked me what the compression distance was on the motor, it is a stock stroke B, running the Scat crank and rods, that's one question.

Another question is does any one know the cc's of a stock old cragar head? I don't have the things needed to cc the head laying around.

And lastly, maybe firstly, has anyone gotten pistons like I am looking for from JE ( or elsewhere) that I could make reference to and save some brain cells?

thanks,
    Matt

2. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

You can get all the parts you want from Egge Machine....

3. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Matt,

I know that Ross Racing Pistons have made pistons for Model A & B Engines with different head configurations. They may know the cc of a Cragar head. Their phone number is 310-536-0100 and web site is www.rosspistons.com

Another source that may know the head cc is Jim Brierley, 951-695-3713.

Bob

4. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Thank you for the info, I'll follow up on it.

I briefly checked this thread yesterday, there was 2 responses from " Old guy" or someting like that outlining how to measure the compression distance. I just got home, was planning on printing that out and having a go at it. I was quite looking forward to it. Seems those responses have disappeared?!?

Matt

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lazlo:
    Just go to the feed store and get a plastic syringe. It is graduated in CCs. Use a light viscosity liquid, (my wife uses solvent, for no error with miniscus)

Keep a level head; (literally)
    Fill the chamber with solvent, right up to the brim. (surface)
    Suck the solvent into the syringe, read it at the graduation;
    Or...pump the syringe into a graduated measuring cup.

6. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I would cc the head because most old Cragars have been milled at least one time. They were originally 6:1 compression so you might be able to reverse the math and come up with the number of cc's? Dave Barker measured several heads a few years back and came up with the following: Original Miller-Schofield=160; Remake Miller (Denver Miller?) =155; another "original Miller-Schofield" = 140cc. My slope-sided Miller measures 115cc so they are obviously not all the same and need to be measured before having pistons made. I use water to cc heads, it is cheap and not messy.

7. For more complicated chambers, ie. Cooke, use an old flat top piston and clay.
    With valves in head, rockers out, spray the chamber with WD40 and mock assemble with clay on piston. Carefully rotate crank over and remove head. It may take a few times to get the chamber shape. Once done, the piston mfgr can make a cast of the chamber.

Don't forget to measure the gasket if using something exotic.

John

John