Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!! Is this a good enough contract to let my car be in a movie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Hotweel

Hotweel

Sounds like they use H&R insurance...hit and run!

2. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

No it states that they intend for the vehicle to leave in the same condition minus normal wear and tear. Who determines normal wear and tear.

Contract basically states they can use your vehicle when ever they want to for up to 6 months with you being responsible for any damage caused. The vehicle can also be used by anyone at anytime for any reason. You are also responsible for it running and driving as expected a car fit for the road should be or they dont have to pay you.

I say bullshit contract and stay away unless they are giving you enough money for the destruction of your car to be ok.

3. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Ware and tear is very common spelling in contract law. Very normal

You should also check with your insurance to see if they would even cover any damages for such use

4. Jims35

Jims35

I let mine be used in a small budget film one of my relatives was filming. They were careful and the actress was a good driver, but i would not do it again with out a real good contract. They spent about 6 hours making a 10 minute shot,done a lot of retakes. Then i drove 10 miles home in a rain storm with out any wipers L.O.L.:)

5. Whilst visiting my brother at college in Cornwall many years ago I visited a military vehicle museum which was run by a very nice chap who leant his very nicely restored 30's Mercedes truck to a film company who used it in their film. It was Raiders of The Lost Ark an no he didn't know it was gonna be used as a battering ram and have the shit kicked out of it until afterwards!

6. I had my T-bucket in American Graffiti. Got to do the driving and a bit part.
    You worry too much, you also have insurance, don't ya?

"Real Hot Rods don't have fenders"

7. Hotweel

Hotweel

I think we all would have paid to have been in American Graffiti!

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ever see how them rig explosive charges on a 1931 Model A Coupe to look like it is taking machine gun fire? I spent some time today fixing one that got bought to flip (resell, NOT roll over). Someone drove a one inch diameter pointed rod into the door and cowl. Each hole got a charge wired up to a control and covered with dumb dumb and a quick spray paint job. Not something "Car guys" would do but that is life in the movie world. Bob

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Which T and what bit part?

10. First part of the movie. You'll see it. It's not there for very long. Easy to miss.This was my first car. Universal Pictures.

____________________________________________________________________________

" Real Hot Rods don't have fenders"

11. dtracy

dtracy

When you were writing about the conversation you had with the movie company and the part about the $3000 worth of paint damage came up, the first thing that came to my mind was seeing that little Ford being run over by a D9 Cat. If that's all you want for that Ford, I'll take it!

Dave.

12. afaulk

afaulk

The contract clearly states that the production co. is in no way liable for anything. They could kiss my happy ass!

13. english rob

english rob

I worked for a company that supplied cars for film and tv work. I wouldn't let them use mine unless i was a paid driver for it on top of your cars fee. I have seen them damage very nice cars and then get them painted as cheap as they could and then retun them to the owners usually at night and get the disclaimer signed quick

14. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I'm in the film biz, and I have been on both sides. I've had my personal car in films, and also rented camera cars for my own production.

What I've read is iffy... I don't like it. Everything aside your car would value at least $4-600 per day. Through one of the camera car rentals I got a rough 70's Chevy truck for $300 a day.

Now productions have to have insurance for everything- equipment, actors, ect. Usually the min. is 1-2Million insurance coverage. On a film I did a few years ago we had a $80k budget and thats what we had. So even on "low budget" you gotta have it.

No insurance= very low budget unprofessional shoot.

Plus you usually get paid to drive as well, Unless I get a car from a company a crew member can drive the car. BUT if I have a car with owner, they drive the car.

Now I've been on sets where cars have been treated perfectly fine, but I also been on sets where they had a Model A and the camera reflected in the chrome headlight bucket so they scuffed the chrome to make it not as shiny. Unfortunately that is a true story.

Even on one of my sets, I had a crew member place there soda on a fender of a beautiful original Model A- It didn't cause any damage but I was extremely embarrassed, the crew member didn't know any better.

I have had my own cars on sets, and I just have to be aware of the potential damage that can happen, and just know that insurance will be there to cover it. I always have before an after photos of the car just in case, but if one scratch gets on it, sometimes it just comes with the territory, and you got to accept it.

15. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

And BIG damage can happen. I was on a set where winds picked up and a light toppled on the hood of a modern car we were using. Again- insurance covered.

16. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

Seems to me there's more to the deal than the first offering of a contract from them. I'd cross out things I didn't like and send it back. That's negotiation.

Second, I'd contact my insurance company, ask what a special policy would cost for this type of situation, and include that premium into my fee for using the car.

17. paintcan54

paintcan54

I have been ask a few times about useing my cars in films, after reading their contracts I ran as fast as I could. If I was you I would be nice and say No Thanks.

18. Uhhhh, you guys do realize that he told the movie company no, right? I mean it took three pages of posts to finally convince him it is a shit deal and now there's three pages after he declined their offer still telling him its a shit deal? :confused:

19. People usually just read the first post then just post their opinions.

20. If they can't spell the words correctly on the contract, probably not worth dealing with them.

21. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Wise counsel.

22. dclickster

dclickster

I've never heard of anyone that had a good experience with a movie production company,plus in some cases, they have been known to leave town in the middle of the night without paying a lot of people for services.

23. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Putting your car in the hands of Production with out a car wrangler is a disaster.....you must be with your car while on set........period. no stunts no fast driving no actors drive cars, no close calls....no no no no......

Scott Gillen

I have first hand knowledge on this one guys.