Register now to get rid of these ads!

Possible scammer from UK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Munster Motors, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

heads up;
    had this guy contact me to sell me edsel parts, from an add i have posted, has no pictures but says parts are in excellent shape and only accepts money gram or western union.....

beware goes by "peter faulkner" e-mail is [email protected]

maybe a scam maybe not just throwing it out there.. seems fishy to me

2. Any chance it is this same guy? In thses two threads?

Someone said to google earth or google maps the adress in one of these threads.

Thanks for the heads up anyway. If it is the same guy he seems to prey on the HAMB and probably numerous other sites globally.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711331&highlight=england

Would it be this james floyd from this thread in England?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711311

3. 5window

5window

It's a scam-what do you think, with no pictures? Ryan should make this a Sticky, it seems like half the bandwidth is filled with posts like yours.

Best of luck with your parts search. Check in Hemming's for Edsel folks.

4. Jen......

Jen......

yes scammer , contacted me as well .

Jen

5. he has a bad sellers list that people seldom read, we have a problem with a fella that keeps showing up and getting kicked off. He changes his name all the time.

6. Here in the UK Money Grams and Western Union are unusual forms of payment to receive funds into the UK. I only ever use WU and m/gs if theres no other option to send money OUT to the US. Paypal is the most common for international transactions but is of course reversible, so he wouldn't want that! If it looks like BS and smells like it, chances are...
    If he approaches you fish a bit and see if you can find out where he is. Be nice to catch this arsehole!

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

x2 on the sticky. Its not exactly good for overseas relations:cool:

Crazy thing is they must be doing it as folks fall for it. I even know someone that fell for the Nigerian , "we have £10 million we need to deposit in your account, we just need your bank details" scam.

8. String them along and waste their time~its fun for the whole family!

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Surprised this guy hasn't been shut down and arrested yet.

10. Someone said in another post that he's not from the UK... good luck tracking down this hump.

Bob

11. When he responded to my classified ad he was able to provide pictures. So, beware.

12. I probably shouldn't say this out loud but why wouldn't someone provide pictures? I mean this is the internet and there are pictures everywhere. Some of the fellas on here have actually found their stuff for sale on craigs list with pics provided.

I think part of the reason that these fellas don't get caught or arrested aside from the whole please don't do anything ugly to our subway syndrome is that no one except the fellas loosing the cash really gives a flip. if it is going to be work there are just easier fish to catch. Its not like TV ya know, a New York cop doesn't call up the UK and they say sure come on over we'll wrap him and get him ready to deliver.

13. True. I told him to take some more pics out in the sun when he got them off the truck. Needless to say, I have yet to receive any more pictures.

14. Contacted today by a Brian Ashford from the U.K.

HAMB name brianashfrd.

Same M.O.

N.O.S. Parts with no pics.

He contacted in response to a post in the "wanted" section here.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  15. OneBad56

OneBad56

I guess it's still lucrative for him to keep doing it under different names no matter how many times he gets punt'd, amazing that people still fall for it.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

If anyone wants this guy checking out, send me the address he gives

17. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Had that happen to me once years ago before e-mail. A guy sent me a list of all the parts he had available for my '50 Ford. Sounded too fishy, so I checked back on the address. It was a prison in Ohio! These guys stop at nothing, I guess.
    Tom

18. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Well, scammers ain´t fun, but dont call everyone one before checked out to be true! Online community as internet, forums, online adplaces, online auctions, are places where you dont see the other person, but have to trust the other what he "says", Precaution is great, but also a lot of people not perfect at online are there, and some "room" should be given theese too!

Try to check out as much as possible, and if you´re not feel secure, or others cant either give you some input, then stand away.....

The last years a new tool seem to be great to find out about people(also scammers) ,their friends, life, etc.... FACEBOOK!
    A lot of people dont think so much about what they write, that most all is public, at least your profile, and possibility to check out your life, whos the friends, etc... very easy to give some message to their friendlist to get the person confronted!! Done it, function great, without the need of police and court!:)

19. So what are these fellas adresses. Lets google maps 'em and see where they live.

When I forst got on the HAMB one of the fellas was looking at some parts in new York, the guy gave a Post office box and a physical address but wanted the cash to go to the post office. So the fella thought that was a little iffy and had one of the easter fellas look up the physical addy for him. it was a vacant lot.

Anyway what are these fellas addresses, lets get a look at their mansions.

20. As others have said, it's a scam. I bet they aren't in the UK, aren't English - but are sat in an Internet cafe somewhere in Nigeria or somelike!
    The UK hot rod and even classic car scheme is pretty small and most people know each other (remember California is bigger than the whole of the UK!)

21. themotherbrain

themotherbrain
    from New York

Just a heads up, I've got a message from a garethR regarding a hood I'm looking for. Zero posts and when I looked into their homepage page it said they joined today and listed the UK as location. Two other people had checked his profile today as well. Wanted me to respond via email (gmail account) and not pm. I highly doubt I could get a hood shipped overseas for what it would take to get one here. As a moderator on two other forums, this sets off an immediate red flag to me and I would tell others beware.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  22. dualquads

dualquads

As Dave, Englishrodder said, compared with the united States the scene in the UK is quite small, there are one or two people who have been found to be scamming on some UK rod sites, these arseholes keep cropping up every now and then before getting thrown off the sites only to crop up again under a different user name doing the same stuff again, but it is quite rare, because its a close knit thing over here it doesnt normally take to long before they get caught out. not trying to cause bother to anyone over here selling to the states but sending stuff to the USA seems to be quite a bit dearer than sending the other way, i think to warrant the cost you would pretty much have to be buying hens teeth to justify the cost, and we over here know that nearly all of the hens teeth are over in the USA, which is why i personally and many others over here spend far to much time on US Ebay !
    kev

23. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

well looks like I found another scammer that says he's in the UK goes by gf957
    0 posts new account but has a set of 31 Chevy running boards I'm looking for....also wont pm and has a gmail account [email protected] and can't upload pics for me to see and only accepts Money grams

24. It bears repeating that NOBODY in the UK rodding scene will ever ask for payment by Moneygram or Western Union. That's NOBODY - EVER. If they do it is, without doubt, a Nigerian scammer.

25. vetteson

vetteson

I've been duped by this guy, complete phony. Fooled once, shame on me.....

26. reefer

reefer

I got a guy last week offering me a deuce grill,hood and rear fenders...he wanted paying in U .S .dollars(the whole$750!!!!!) and sent me a few pictures of an absolutely mint deuce five window that he said he was breaking...it had U.S. plates on it.He wanted payment via Western Union or money gram.
    Probably not anyone in America, probably a Nigerian as it usually is in these cases.