Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elmitcheristo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

No overdrive, but it does have the "high speed" rear end. I believe the rear is 3.54. It's more comfortable at 55 than 60. The rear wheels are 33-34 Ford 17" with 600-650 Firestones. They are plenty tall. The fronts are '35 Ford 16" with 500-525 Excelsiors.

-Mitch

2. doctorZ

doctorZ

ok. i think i have 4.11's in the back of mine so 60 mph seems unfathomable!

3. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Sooo, this morning, I got my first experience of the negatives of driving an 80 year old car as a daily driver. I was cruising down the freeway and everything was working great. I go to get off the freeway, hit the offramp and then it happens. I hear a loud bang and the alot of metal on metal. I pull into the gas station and check out the rear end. Definitely hot to the touch and not sounding to good when I try to drive away. Now, the question is where do I go from here. I've got a friend that will let me use one of his backup rear ends. But, it needs juice brakes. If I'm going to use juice brakes, why not use a more modern banjo rear. If I'm going that far why not go to a 39 toploader. Well then I should get rid of the four and put in a flathead 8. Well, you see where I'm at.

Opinions and suggestions are definitely welcome.... actually encouraged. I will borrow my friend's "A" rear to get it back on the road for now. But, this thing will get some new parts. I just don't know how far to go. Dammit, I was really enjoying it like it was.

Thanks,
    Mitch

4. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

Just start replacing stuff that breaks with upgraded parts and pretty soon you will have a reliable car.....well in theory at least

5. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Nice coupe... where did you find the Tech article on reversing the spring eye?>

6. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

7. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Hello,

It's been a while since I did an update on the coupe. The pinion bearings seized and sent roller bearings throughout the torque tube and the banjo. Luckily, the ring and pinion were not damaged. I found a great rebuild thread on the fordbarn and put it back togethor with new bearings after alot of cleaning.

While it was apart, I lowered the rear, dropped the headlight bar, got rid of the stock horn, louvered the hood, and did some more cleaning. It's starting to take shape now. I have got a good start on juice brake parts and a v8 tranny. I've been using it as my daily driver and it's working great. I'm amazed at how well it's been working in this cold weather. Still having fun with it.

Here's some pics,
    Mitch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Looks great! Makes me wanna find a set of fenders for mine.

9. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Very very nice! Love where your going.
    Did you lower the headlight bar your self? I Like it.
    What did you do to lower the rear?

10. To flippin cool Mitch! Hopefully will see it soon.

11. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I did lower the headlight bar myself. I just made a jig that fit the dimensions of the stock bar. About an hour of welding and grinding later with a little bit of torch work, it was lowered. I'm thinkin it only lowered it about 2", but I can see a difference.

As far as the rear, I kept the "A" spring. I just took the top two leaves and the fourth leaf out. I cut them down and put them underneath the pack as a spacer. I didn't want to go too low. The process is pretty well detailed in the Tardel Bishop book.

Thanks for the compilments,
    Mitch

12. Elrod

Elrod

That coupe is a 'beaut Mitch!! Nice work. You've really got a clean canvas to start with there on that early 1930 coupe!!

I also just dropped my headlight bar. A little heat, a table to clamp it to, a couple friends and a few beers got the job done in no time. A picture is below of a stock one compared to the dropped one.

Looking forward to watching this build!!

PS - You still have that stone guard? I might be interested in it!

[​IMG]

13. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

It's been quite a while since I did an update, and alot has changed on the coupe. To begin with, I tried to love the fenders but ended up taking them off. So, here is a list of the other changes that I have made:

-Deuce Grill
    -Guide 682-C headlights
    -New Headlight bar to fit with the deuce grill
    -Rewired Everything
    -Shortened Pitman Arm
    -added a B "Police Head", but shaved .060 before bolting it on
    -New water pump
    -New FS Ignition
    -'39 tail lights
    -Hollywood licensce plate light
    -Rebuilt Rear End
    -Red's Headers 4 into 2 header
    -Dual exhaust all the way out the back with a pair of Smithy's Mufflers
    -'36 Ford Dash (a work in progress)
    -Chromed Wishbone
    -Moved the seat back and down for more room
    -Lightened Flywheel with V8 Clutch
    -Chrome Model B Fuel Pump
    -Downdraft Intake
    -Holley 94
    -Louvered Hood

I am sure that I'm missing a few things. The drivetrain modifications really woke up the car. It's the car that I drive the most and it really has been alot of fun. My wife started driving it at the beginning of the summer, and now she's got the double clutching/mechanical brakes/steering intricacies down. There's been a few times where we actually argue over who gets to drive it to work.

As for the future, I'm not sure what's next. I will probably wood grain the dash and interior mouldings. I want a synchronized transmission for it. I am undecided whether I will put in a '39 box or V8 gears in a '32 box. It's going to get a heater for this winter and probably some cycle type fenders (winter only).

Sorry for the rambling,
    Mitch

14. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

15. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Loving it man. Am I going to see you up at Billetproof for the drags?

17. Holy changes
    Looks great!

18. grander

grander

I am watching your progress as I have a stock, restored 1930 coupe and am thinking of making some changes to the car. Yours is looking good!

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

What did you do with the fenders???? Still got them, want to sell them?

20. Go Man Go!:cool: I love it. My sawzall is always idling if you want to chop it:eek:

21. Elrod

Elrod

Looks great!

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

23. Ugh..... I don't want to bag on you, but I love a nice A coupe and I feel like the most recent changes ruined the whole look of this car. It was so damn perfect right after you lowered the rear... But I do applaud you for jumping in and doing what you like.

24. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Don't worry, the fenders are only a few bolts away. I honestly don't have an end goal with this car. It will never be the coolest Model A around but it may be the most fun to own. That is my end goal. I have owned an old Harley and built my '29 on Deuce rails. But, unfortunately looking cool often comes at the sacrifice of being comfortable. This is our utility "A". I want it to get out of the way, I want people to be able to see me stop, I want other people to drive it and get hooked on and appreciate the the fact that stock Model A's are worth more than just the body.

Thanks for the comments and criticisms,
    Mitch

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  25. 117harv

117harv

26. A Rodder

A Rodder

Damn hard to believe you guys have almost had it for two years.

What ever you do to it, it will be cool. May not be what others percieve as the best, but will always be cool to me.

Was that comment about an A only being worth the body directed at me? he he

27. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Never in a million years Joe. Although if I do chop it, It will be a two inch chop.

Thanks Buddy,
    Mitch

28. GARY?

GARY?

Put the fenders back on !!!! Just kidding, really neat coupe there bud.

29. A Rodder

A Rodder

I only said that as I was trying to buy your body.

......did I just say that :)

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Very neat little hot rod. :) Something that I never realized was that Ford still had a flathead 4 in 1934. I kinda thought when the flathead 8 came out that was the end of the 4's, although my very first car when I was 11 was a 32 5 window that was the 4 cylinder version. I just never knew they continued the 4 past then. So, was 34 the last of the 4's?

Don