Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to get Moly grease

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Youngin', Jun 7, 2006.

1. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel say to use "moly grease" when rebuilding an F1 box. Where do I get it? I've called all around the autoparts superchinese stores and they all want to sell me Wheel bearing grease.

I did pick up a can of "Moly Foritfied" grease. But being fortified sounds like something in cereal.:eek:

I called one Autoboner and they thought I was crazy and the other Autoboner said they have a "Moly EP" grease. Gas is too expensive to be on a wild goose chase and "kid" behind the counter telling me he has it....

Any suggestions......without mail ordering...

2. try mcmaster.com

I however used STP oil treatment in my 36 box per recomendations of a few box rebuilders. I've had no problem with it for the past few months that i've run it. Apparently alot of people swear by it.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The last I knew, Oilzum and Kendall still made it, so anyplace that carries their brand.

4. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

It might sound weird, but look up a local bus repair or truck equipment installer in your area. Having worked with Bluebirds, etc, I know that any heavy truck place will stock the correct moly grease, and save you some time dealing with the kids in the 'Zone....

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Original usage was EP axle/trans lube, probably 90 weight, I could look that point up. A lot of conventional wisdom says grease will wear the box out quickly, as it will wipe away and leave the gears operating in a void, and that only the Saginaw ball thread type boxes should have grease as they are capable of continually dragging the grease back to where it's needed. I dunno personally, and of couse some greases may have powers of flow or adhesion that others don't have--I've never tried the idea of grease except in the later Chevy types. Anyone have any high mileage experience with grease in an early box? Tardel generally knows what's what, but I'm real conservative on expensive gears...
    I'd use modern synthetic axle lube, myself. I think with the tube that goes inside the shaft and good gaskets it would likely stay on the inside. The EP designation may be very important here, as this is a high pressure wiping contact when you steer.

6. My father swears by MolySlip... must be a Canadian thing...

http://www.molyslip.com

do an online search for molybdenum disulfide grease

7. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

superkleen has moly graph grease in tubes about $4.00 do a web search n you can find it
    Ken

8. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Well, crap now I don't know what to do.........do you think my wife would mind it I put a 50/50 blend of grease and 90w gear oil in the blender.....

EDIT: Grandpa says he always used gear oil but thinks the added grease to the rolling sector and worm is a good idea. And, my fill cap on the steering box says "Heavy Gear Oil" right on it.

Oh, these old steerings are a dime a dozen, just spray a little WD40 on it...

9. Bugman

Bugman

Ford spec chassis grease is a Moly grease. Should be avalible at any Ford dealer.

10. Rivet

Rivet

If you happen to have a bmw motorcycle dealer nearby they have it in stock. It is whats recommended for the axle splines their final drive unit.

11. Sta Lube makes a grease labeled Extreme Pressure with Molybdenum-Disulfide.

I've been using it in my Vega steering boxes for the last 7-8 years.

I haven't opened up the box except to spoon in additional grease once.
    Things looked ok and it steers as good as it ever did.

GM in fact calls for a grease for these steering boxes, but a couple Chevy parts counters I checked they didn't carry it.

The Sta Lube grease is available at most real parts houses.

12. At Kmart here every second grease is moly, Castrol, Valvoline etc. Can't be too hard to find.

13. dingleberry

dingleberry

Every cv axle uses moly grease. Check your local parts supplier every time you buy a new axle there is a tube inside the box and they usually have some extra on the shelf.

14. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I was wondering about that! That's good info....thanks!

15. Greasy1

Greasy1

Your local Harley-Davidson shop has moly-grease....

16. DualQuadFury

DualQuadFury

I'm ordering from Mr. Moly..seems they're the only ones who verify what percentage of moly is actually in their product. I tried to get it through McMaster-Carr, but the only info those reps know is what is on an MSDS sheet.

17. IIRC, most tubes of chassis grease are moly based. Look for top brands like Castol at any parts house.

Bob

18. HONDA M/C dealerships, its called MOLY 60 PASTE, comes in a tube.

19. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It's ok to use grease in steering boxes. In the '70s Ford was recommending grease as an alternative. Just make sure to get it fairly full.

20. Call NAPA they have it on the shelf here or they did the last time I was in there.

21. x2. Thats where I always go to get it.

22. That's bizarre. I was going to mention Molyslip, then I noticed I already did... 6 years ago :D

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

exactly. I see it all the time myself at K-Mart, WalMart, AutoMart, HallMark, and even at Manny, Moe, and Jack. Maybe he's just calling all those places without really going over there and seeing for himself. Over at O'Reillys, they have like 20 some greases to choose from. Young turds are so computer aged, they are used to pressing a button instead of doing footwork.

24. braindamage

braindamage
    from Arnold Mo

O'reilys has what you need and its cheap.

25. Damn got me again. :eek:

Bastages

26. A lot of the old Chevy truck guys use John Deere Corn Head grease. I've never tried it myself.