Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 216 Engine...What's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irishman, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Irishman

Irishman

I have a 47 Chevy 216 engine sitting on a stand in the garage.

I've been back and forth for the last few months wondering is it worth the effort?

I finally decided to chuck it and later decide if I want to go with a different engine. The 235 is appealing to me since it appears to be the easiest swap. But who knows, I might go for a 350 or even an LS.

The point is, this piece of iron is taking up room in my garage and will do so for another few months, so Craigslist it is.

It does turn over by hand. I also took off the valve cover and oil pan and everything looks nice and lubed. No metal in the oil. Apart from that, it's a mystery as to condition.

My question is, how much should I look for it? I'm keeping the transmission, flywheel, starter, etc just in case I decide to go with a 235.

2. 50 bucks.

And I would definately go with an LS. :rolleyes:

3. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I paid $100 for a complete running low pressure (1953) 235 with a trans behind it. The 216 would be in the same ballpark, but even less if you're keeping a lot of the other parts.

4. Irishman

Irishman

That's what I figured. Why bother paying a few hundred bucks on a rebuild kit. I think it will be a "Make me an offer" CL Posting.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Let's put it this way: I've seen probably 25 of these "Who wants a 216?" threads, and never one "I need a 216" thread or ad. I think "free" is the appropriate price, unfortunately.

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I couldn't give one away in SoCal......

7. squirrel

squirrel

"Free" seems to be the value around here.

8. Irishman

Irishman

Bleh, I can't complain if its worthless. For the price I got the car for, I'm not going to sweat it the engine disappears. LOL

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you guys just don't try hard enough. I got about $250.00 from parting out a 216 with a cracked block. gave the block, head and crank to the scrap guy. everything else was sold on ebay.

you guys are throwing money out the window.

10. jchav62

jchav62

In the lowrider scene, vatos in bombitas love these old 216's and 235's. My cousin, back about 15 years ago, paid over $3000 to have his 216 rebuilt for his '51 bomb truck. I think if someone wants it or needs it bad enough you can get a few bucks out of it. Depends on who you ask. Good luck with whatever you do with it.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Probably so. But we're helping you make money, by depleting the supply of those hard to find parts

12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

13. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

Just for comparison:
    A buddy of mine just picked up a complete top to bottom front to back 1961 era 235 and the guy loaded it into the trailer with a home made Van/Forklift all for fifty bucks. I told my buddy it was a nice free engine and that $50 was a deal to have it loaded.:D

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'd offer it up here for fee, meanwhile rush out and buy an LS engine and 4L60E. If you're carefull shopping, you can score a 5.3 or 4.8 complete with harness and computer for around $500, they're bullet proof, good for 300K miles. An LS will put a smile on your face, a free Stovebolt might make somebody else happy. Everybody wins.

Brian

15. ERKEL

ERKEL

Ive got a 46 216 that Im getting rid of also. Its going LS btw. Probably a 5.3. In the past two years Ive done over 30 LS swaps. Im building a 23T right now with a carbed 6.0 and T350 for a cruiser. My 55 post is a carbed 5.3 with a T56 and 3.73s. Cruising on the interstate at a steady 80-90mph I still average over 25mpg.

16. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I have one powering my 53 Chevy... Yeah they are not worth a whole lot... My buddy offered a guy $150 for one at a swap meet that said offers, didn't even run, i told him thatw as too much, and the guy said he needed at least $300... he must have been dreaming... If anything, I'd go with a 235 i6 engine because it is a pressurized engine if you are thinking a chevy 6 to put in, the 216 is a babbit, splash oil engine and mine is coming out this fall for a 327 swap. But i do haveto say, so far it's been bulletproof! And gas mileage is great! I put over 8,000 miles in it in 2 years. Just leaks and burns like crazy, but it's not worth it to rebuild unless you are a restorer.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If you happens to come by my shop, I take of you hands for 50$. LOL

There is always someone willing to pay for you stuff, but they are often low on Cash when you'r needing Cash:)

But if you go to the Stovebolt site, you would straight up double you'r chances for a sale.

18. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I love those old 216's and 235's. I think they look awesome in an old ride. seems that I'm in the wrong area of the country b/c everyone thinks they are worth gold around here in TN. I had a 235 that I rebuilt and chromed out and tricked out with fandancy thingys and then low and behold, I had to sell it because of money issues at home.

19. boyzfanindc

boyzfanindc

I have one to complete scrap metal

20. PackardV8

PackardV8

Definitely offer it on some Stovebolt sites. It's worth less than nothing as a rod engine, but the numbers/build year matching restorers are always whining about not being able to find one made in the same shift as their car.

jack vines

21. I advertised a running but cracked block '56 235 for months with zero interest. In the end I scrapped most of it. I saved the manifold, carb (sold), distributor, bellhousing (sold), clutch, valve cover, and the fan and pulley off the water pump. Should have kept the oil pan, I could have sold that a couple times.

I would say stash it away and run ads for it until the winter and when scrap comes up junk the block and head.

22. I may be inclined to give 125 for a running 216 as well. Especially if I had an old hooptie that I wanted to drive and it was a bolt in.

I can't imagine anyone giving much for one in unknown condition unless it was what was needed for a car that forwhatever reason had to have one.

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I kind of think it would be fun to build a '29-'32 Chevy roadster using all period-available parts for the 1940s, including a '48 216.

But don't everyone start offering me your splash oilers, I don't have the time or room right this minute.

24. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Wow. 30 swaps in two years? I can honestly say that I don't know 30 people that have cars/trucks that would be interested in a swap.

As usual, I'm hanging with the wrong crowd.

25. I think like all engines they have their place. It would be pretty silly to throw a 389 in a 40s period car and equally as obsurd to throw a 216 in early '60s style hot rod.

I think that if I was building a '40 Chevy Coupe custom a 216 would be a real nice engine.

I think if given my choice of a 216 and a 235 I would probably lean toward the 216. I cannot come up with a legitimate reason why, I just like them better. That said I am still not willing to give much for one.

26. Ask someone on Stovebolt or chevy.com, damm thing has to be worth at least a double cheeseburger,fries and chocolate shake!:rolleyes::D

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

everytime someone posts "LS" on the HAMB an old motor somewhere developes a crack that can not be repaired.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The only way I would give more the scrap price for one is if I could hear it run and be able to drive the car its in,since the 235 I have in my 37 is making noises I toyed with the idea of going back to a 216 or low pressure 235 but all the 216s I found were advertised as ran when pulled and wanted over 200 for then so I passed. The 235 that is in it now was advertised as a drop in and go motor that ended up having a bad cam along with a cracked cylinder and even though rebuilt still has issues.

29. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

[​IMG]

30. Truckedup

Truckedup

Don't be so hard on the lS...It's an OHV with pushrods just like American V-8's have been since 1949.And I believe it's the last of it's kind built today,Mopar and Ford are all bulky OHC designs?
    And fitted with a carb,the coil on plug ignition carefully designed, the LS looks better than many more traditional engines.And the power of a Hemi at half the weight and bulk :D

How about a standard bore 235 block with zero cylinder wear,bellhousings,complete 216 running engines,generators,starters,stock intakes,flywheels? No takers here or anywhere after 6 months of ads.Hauled to the scrap yard in my 51 Willys truck.