Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reminder to all surviving the heat.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tantank49, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

When was the last time you drove in the rain? Remember your thoughts the last time you did? ..........I do now..........
    They are calling for Rain sometime during our fun this weekend. CRAP! I haven't thought about my poor old wiper blades for months. In defense of my lack of memory at times there is not a parts store around home that can even find a listng for my car.
    [​IMG]
    I remembered a trick my dad tought me years ago. Smooth them out with mild sandpaper till you can afford new ones.
    All you need is a glass,a sheet of 400 wet/dry sandpaper, and some water mixed with Dawn.
    [​IMG]
    Wet down the paper and work the blade back and forth keeping enough pressure to keep the blade flat.
    [​IMG]
    Keep an eye on the blade, don't take too much off. Just enough to make it kinda sooth.
    Here is before
    [​IMG]
    Here is after.
    [​IMG]
    Not perfect but good enough till I find a good set.

2. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

Thanks, that is a quick & cheap trick. I like your cream colored June Bug, so I'm going to "ask the man who owns one" , is it reliable(within reason, considering it's age)?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Great tip...thanks!!

4. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Yes, it's reliable, and driven almost daily. It gave me the normal vintage car fits at first. The brakes issues came first, then the occasionally charging 6 volt system, followed by changing the fuel filter daily. Good to go now with a rebuilt master cylinder and new brake lines, a 12 volt system (with new bulbs) and a good used tank. The only recent problem was an axle seal that started leaking on the "Rust Revival" trip.

5. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Must be nice to have to worry about a chance of rain on your parade. Be thankful. We will hit 112 degrees again today.

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

RAIN !!!!!!!!! omg.
    B.B.

7. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

And boy did it rain!
    [​IMG]

We needed it!

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

A friend of mind has a restored one. Around town, he drives it often. However, he went on a cruise where part of the run was on the freeway. He said it was scary to say the least and he couldn't keep up with the rest of the pack. He actually bought it for his wife.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Last 2 times it rained heavy here, I got a flat tire.. :mad:
    Both flats on the same tire... :mad:

10. Irishman

Irishman

I love rain. Nice cold rain...not the messed up warm rain and humidity Texas gets on rare occasion.

And dont get me started on this godforsaken heat. Ive gotten NOTHING done the last while and im as cranky as a snake with a tick on his ass.

11. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I hear ya on the heat. Either have to get your work done early or late in the day.

12. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Mine was a little scary on the highway with the old bias ply tires. The new radials made it a completely different car. I can cruise 70 comfortably, (it has overdrive) with very little effort. Fun car!

13. Deuces

Deuces

That's funny as hell.... :D:D:D

14. garcoal

garcoal

im sorry but as much money as i have in my rides, a pair of wiper blades every 4-5 years is ok we me. at 8-9 dollars apiece it just seems a no brainer. our cars sit in garages 99 percent of the time and the blades do last a long time. period maintenance includes oil/filter, check the tire pressure and replace expendable items like wiper blades

15. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Find me a parts store that sells wiper blades for a 1949 Packard and I would be more than happy to buy a few sets. Untill then, I have to make what I have work.