Register now to get rid of these ads!

$2.50 a lug nut!?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jul 31, 2012.

1. I pick a few of them up off the ground at the you-pick and toss them in my wagon every time I go.

But there is one lug nut I throw away - those expletive fake chrome ones GM liked to use with rally wheels especially on Chevy trucks in the 80s and 90s. They're just a steel nut with a stamped stainless cover on them and they always get munged up and soft when they get old. I've literally thrown them as hard as I can in whatever direction ensures they won't hit anything or be likely to be found again on removing them.

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Shop around....it does pay !

4TTRUK

3. Do they have to be new? I might have some used ones.

4. Biscayner

Biscayner
    from MN

Don't laugh at the prices sometime. I had 2 bucket loads of GM lug nuts from cars in the 70's and 80's SAE and Metric chrome ones from Firebirds and Camaros and other GM cars. I was getting up to $15 a piece for these as GM don't make them anymore and they are hard to find. Sadly the buckets are close to empty now, but the free meals I got off the sales were worth it. Wished I had saved more of them.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

You know the new lug nuts are missing10- 20% of the threads as well in the taper area. As they call it lead-in.. Also they are using a larger tap so its got more play or slop in the threads. . So the next time you use a old one com pair the old with the new . :rolleyes:

6. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

better not own a toyota tacoma 6 lug.... they are special thread not US not Metric and cost 12.50 each x6x4=???

7. WaynesSpeed

WaynesSpeed

I sell stock open ends for .75 ea, chrome closed ends are still only 1.25 ea

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

are you serious? is this really pertinent? somebody lock this shit.

9. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Why? You don't use lug nuts on your ride?

Alex.

10. WaynesSpeed

WaynesSpeed

Don't read it, its not that hard

11. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

That's great to hear! Those "Made in Chinuh" lugs scare me...I've seen the threads spiral out of the core like drill shavings.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I hadn't bought any in a while, so when I went to my NAPA store and got socked for $1.00+ each for standard, open end 1/2" SAE Ford lug nuts, I almost shat.

I found this thread most pertinent and informative. Thanks to all who shopped around and shared.

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's like luke warm beer on a hot day in the desert, can't stop.

15. I picked up 20 1/2 X 20 chrome acorn lug nuts brand new at the Jefferson swap meet in April for $10.00. .50 cents each. The guy sells brand new steel wheels, center caps, and trim rings in Wheel Vintiques boxes. He had boxes and boxes of lug nuts.

16. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

$1 each for new chrome ones at the swap meets around here.

17. iamben

iamben

18. This morning, I ended up paying $1.50 each for ten (1/2-20's, standard) out the door at a nationwide autoparts chain store, but I needed 20 and they did not have that many in stock! I guess it is understandable that most folks buy all they can by Internet. The parts store guy wanted to have a year and make to look up the part number! They did not like "1929 Ford" for their computer.

19. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i paided $3 each for my lugs plus had to order them at the local parts place and go up their about 10 times

20. Be careful. Just because the threads are the same doesn't mean that the seat angle is correct for the wheel you're using. Use a blue or red Marksalot for a little experimenting and make sure that all of them are the same type/weight on each wheel.
    Chuck