Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Muttley

Muttley

2. Muttley

Muttley

3. Muttley

Muttley

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Dave,The hemi wagon in the cartoon appears to be the "Cotton Picker" car raced by Cotton Owens and David Pearson which was only an exhibition/wheelstander built by Dick Branstner's shop and given to Cotton..The car was only match raced from what I could dig up:
    http://www.cottonowens.com/cotton_picker.shtml

....Your saying the cartoon was a different car that ran in B/FX?..That would make more sense if it was a B/FX wagon..Any clues to who raced it?

5. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

Anyone know of a source for Comet replacement parts(sheetmetal etc) 1965. Thanks

6. 65COMET

65COMET

pro 39;no outer sheetmetal is being reproduced.Floor pans are available from Mac's,Auto Krafters,Dearborn Classics.You need to find a donor car of the same year or fabricate what pieces you may need,a 65 is a one year body,doors interchange between 64/65 Falcons and 64/65 Comets,just trim changes.Fiberglass fenders,doors,hood,deck lid and bumpers are available from Crites Restorations. ROY.

7. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

Thanks Roy!

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

9. Wish I knew where this car ended up after I let it go:

Attached Files:

10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

You had a very nice '64 Ken.I'm sure you had fun with it too!
    Believe me,you are not the only one.My brother is always asking me that same question about all the cars he had.
    Myron_

11. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thats why I'll do my best to never let mine go... We've all read those stories. Most of us have had to do it at one time or another...

My car and I have been "off the grid" for way too long. What should have been a quick crankshaft replacement turned into something entirely different! The little 400- horse 289 is on its way back together, and soon thereafter, the old/new Pro-Gas 351 Windsor will be on the assembly stand. Next year will be a banner year for our Comets!!!! That means you too, Roy!!!!

Thought I'd throw this pic up from the Barona Drags over the weekend. Never got to talk with the driver, but he sure knew how to shift that four-speed!!
    [​IMG]

12. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

13. Falconred

Falconred

The last time I saw that car in the old days it was at Yellow River Drag Strip below Atlanta and Dyno had the front cover (chain cover) off working on the engine, dang that was a long time ago!!!!

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Well its been a Crazy year already. My Life seems to be going by faster than my Comet. Havent done any racing this year, So many Family things going on right now, just cant catch up.

Took my Daughter Down to Texas to go to college. I'm Relizing Now That I wasnt Ready for her to go. But on the way back I was Able to pick up Another Project Mercury to Work on this Winter.

Been working on getting this car for a year and a half and Finally was Able to get the deal done.Finally after 45 years of getting bounced around the 1967 Kenz And Leslie Mercury Cyclone Flip Top Funny car came back to Colorado.

Looks like I'm going to be really Busy this next year restoring the John Petrie Comet and Ron Leslies Comet. Only Four of the 67 Flip top Comets Exist . Most Likely going to have to give up on a Couple Projects to get these done.

Let me know if Anyone has any pics of it running back in the Day. I only have a couple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 1BADFE

1BADFE

Mercuryjunky is an understatement! Congrats Ken!!

16. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Awesome. Can't wait to see the progress reports!

17. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Ken says he's busy.

18. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Dale

Are you going to have the Rocket together in time to run CHRR?.....Mike

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I think Dale has to have the Rocket in a crate headed to Japan by then!!Todd is still working on his Comet,have not heard anything from Ken[he may be too busy buying cool old Comet Racecars]!!! I got my confirmation Monday so looks like I'm in!! ROY.

20. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I'm going to need to start. It Just Dawned on me how Expensive this will be. Looks Like I'm Going to have to sell Eddie. Anyone Got 5 Bucks, Done Deal. No Refunds

No Big Money Here, Just A regular Working Stiff. Just Happened to get lucky and be at the right place at the Right time.
    This Is What I do In the Rocky mtn Region

[​IMG]

Been working My Ass off this year and I'm Still Broke. Hoping to go to the Cali. Hot Rod Reunion, We Will see, wont know till next Month. Would Like To Race a Quality race At Least once this Year.

21. SOHC427

SOHC427

Ken, I'll give ya a buck fifty, for Eddie..... He has to many miles on him.
    Eric

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Five bucks,WOW that is a lot for someone that carries that much baggage!!!!!Ken;did a chassis come with your latest purchase?If not,do you have any plans on what to do? ROY.

23. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Eric

A buck fifty is a good deal...but like getting a free great dane puppy, he'll eat you out house & home.....Mike

24. 65COMET

65COMET

claymore;Ken needs to be reminded occasionally that he is NOT driving the big rig and to speed shift his Comet!!!! ROY.

25. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Sounds like a bidding war!!! Stuck in reverse. :D

26. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

With a rig like that, can't you get rid of that big bump in the background? :D

It reminds me of a movie, but I can't remember which one. How 'bout a little help here? Wasn't that mountain in one of the UFO movies?

27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Attached Files:

28. Mummert

Mummert

I think your refering to Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Mummert got it,he wins Fast Eddie as a prize!!!!!! ROY.