Register now to get rid of these ads!

spacer plate behind flathead distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TimberwolfFXDL, Aug 1, 2012.

1. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

My friend pulled the distributor off his 47 flathead, and I'm guessing someone changed the cam to a long snout at some point, because whoever did it made a cobbled up hokey-ass plate to space out the distributor.

Being cheap, and having access to equipment, I drew one up for him at work and am going to cut it out on the CNC plasma table.

My only question really, is what thickness it SHOULD be. The one we took out is about 1/4" thick, but bent and so rough it's hard to tell if that's accurate.

Here's some pictures showing the old plate, and the to-scale pattern I drew and printed to check dimensions and hole placement:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

anyone on the evening shift here at the HAMB happen to know?

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

If the engine was running ok with that mickey-mouse spacer, then go with that same thickness. The gaskets will add a bit too.

4TTRUK

4. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

it wasn't running at all. distributor is being replaced as the condensor post was shorting on the housing. I think you posted in the thread where I was trying to troubleshoot it even :)

5. speedway has some type of spacer and button for this swap.

6. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

7. it was a dist drive adapter.may not be for your set up.[​IMG]

8. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

The distributor is meant for a short nose cam, the difference between the two cam noses is 0.400". I just measured the two cams from the flat face the gear bolts to , to the front face. the short one is .075" and the long one is .475". So if every thing else is the same, make it .400"

You Dont need the drive adapter shown above, that is for putting a diving bell (pre 39 i think) distributor onto a short nose (later) cam.

9. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

If I could chime in here...I just tried to fire my 59ab for the first time but had trouble. I have a Speedway adapter/spacer mentioned above that is .400 thick and allows the distributor (I have same as pictured above) to seat on the timing cover. But what I didn't know is the spacer meant that my distributor wasn't engaging with the cam (must be a short-nosed cam??). So assuming I need to add in the button pictured(?) By my measurements I am about .150-.200 shy of making the cam and distributor work together.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.