Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone still "Hold" a car on someones word anymore??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Jul 30, 2012.

1. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

If someone says they are on their way, I tell them I will hold it for X amount of time (usually enough time for them to get there X2).

When I bought my '49 last year it was a 6 hour drive away and the seller held it for me, which I was thankful for. We had exchanged lots of emails and pics before striking a deal on the phone. I told him that I was driving down the next morning and if there were no surprises I would pay what we had agreed upon. I then called when we hit the road and a couple times on the way down so he knew I was actually going to be there. Was I taking a chance driving 12 hours round trip and spending $250 in gas? Yep. Was he taking a chance holding it for one day? Maybe, but I am glad he did because it was my dream truck! :D

2. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I only hold for friends, and there's always a limit. I've been dicked around too many times.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hey...take it easy...you obviously didn't read my post #42......I'm on your side here. :D

Ray

4. zgears

zgears

Thread over.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

He drove an hour didn't have the money in hand so forgotten buyer as soon as he leaves. Hold something only with a non-refundable ,sizeable deposit. If a buyer can;t deal with that I got 2 words for him. Get lost. Don't exactly know when but the day of a man's word are lost in time and probably never be the same again.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

From what I have been reading I dont think I would ever want to come and look at a vehicle most on here would be selling since it probably would get sold from out under me before I got there to look at it.

7. Rodders

Rodders

I have always held stuff for a week after that its time to pay up

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I used to be willing to take someone at their word, but after missing out on sales holding for someone who never shows more than once, I've adopted the "money talks, bullshit walks" attitude. That doesn't mean I'm not a man of my word, but I'm tired of dealing with people who definitely are not men of their word(s).

It happened to me just last weekend. I had a '66 Ford swb F-100 for sale and the guy told me he wanted the truck and would be back later that afternoon. He must have told me a dozen times that he was "a cash buyer with a pocket full of dead presidents". Uh huh. I much prefer dead elder statesmen than dead presidents anyway.

9. Paul B

Paul B

Way too many tire kickers out there. Old saying" Come backs arent Greenbacks"

10. Sorry Ray I guess my frustration is showing...A sick wife, hot weather and a poor economy seem to be taking its toll on me....

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I think holding it till Wednesday was the right move, calling the other intrested party come wednesday afternoon would have saved the sale, holding till friday was to much sorry to say.

BUT you did what you thought was right, so sleep easy you ARE a man of your word, more people should be that way, the next buyer is the one the truck is ment to be with.

Godspeed
    MRC.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

No Way! the last two cars I've sold were to out of state buyers and I call both of them the cars sales from Hell. I've sold numerous cars before but nothing like these. The cars were not junk. One was a 46 Ford Convertible 350/350 that had nothing but the best components. It would take five minutes of typing to list them all. The other was a 56 Bel Air two door post car. A 56,000 original mile rust free car that was frame offed. It had a hard hitting 350 and an M-22 four speed. It needed nothing. One went to Ohio the other to Alabama.
    A guy interested in the 56 told me he's been looking for a car like mine for ten years but had never seen the car. His friends saw it and told him about it. He called me numerous times with every BS story there was on why he couldn't make it down to see the car. On the day I finally sold it another guy from Ohio called who hadn't seen either but his son- in-law had. We agreed on a price and he told me he's on the way with a trailer. As I'm waiting, the first guy from Ohio calls and says he's finally on the way. I told him to forget it. You snooze you lose.
    The 46 Ford sale was by far the worst experience I've ever had. I had it on eBay. Like everything on there, nothing ever meets the reserve. Once the auction is over your phone rings off the hook. Every Douche Bag in the country calls you. To make a long story short it took about a month of BS from the buyer before I got my money.
    I'm not looking forward to any future sales with out of state buyers. Taking more then $10,000 out of the bank now requires the U.S. Government to be advised of the withdrawal. A lot of buyers become skittish over this requirement as the Government now knows how much you paid for the car.
    Wire transfers are also a hassle as most banks want the buyer to be present in their bank as the transaction takes place because they don't really know whose on the other end of the phone making the transfer request. A wire transfer then results in the seller having both the cash and the car. This also makes buyers nervous.
    These are just a few of the BS reasons I had trouble selling the car to an out of state buyer.
    Good luck to anyone selling a car. It can be a real PITA.

13. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Ray,
    People that actually want to sell their stuff don't have this mentality. Anybody that actually needs to make a buck does what it takes to make a sale. Acting tough doesn't pay the bills.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

my point exactly.....just can't resist sarcasm.....:)

Ray

15. Same here....if I hadn't gotten a deposit on the last one I sold, I'd STILL be hearing excuses from the so called buyer. As it was, I took his non-refundable deposit, extended his "come and get it" date 3 times before I kept his deposit [non-refundable] and dragged the car home and parted it out.....for a LOT more than I originally priced it at!
    As has been said here...money talks, bullshit walks.

16. If I thought I couldn't trust anyone, THAT would make me feel disappointed.

My word is good and I expect someone else's word to be good as well. But, like my wife says "Praise allah, and tether your camel". In my experience, it's best to clearly state the terms of any agreement. If you're going to hold it, let them know in clear terms how long you will hold it or whether you will sell it if someone shows up with the cash. Cover your ass, but be up front with all parties about it. Life will be less complicated.

A man's word is a matter of honor. If I make an agreement, I stick to it. If there is an extreme change in my situation (and it would have to be really extreme) where I could not honor my agreement, I would find a way to compensate or make it up to the other party even if that were not built into the agreement.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I couldn't imagine asking someone to hold a car for me while I fart around doing whatever it is I need to do without a deposit. where do these people come from?

these are the same type of people who feel a car was "sold out from under them" when they had no money involved in the transaction. idiots.

18. kscarguy

kscarguy

I sold a 31 Sedan to a guy on just his word. He asked me to swap the 4 speed for an automatic, with no money down, just his word that he would buy it. I agreed.

Today I WOULD NOT do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two days later he showed up after driving 300 miles, took the sedan for a drive around the block and came back with a BIG smile on his face and drove it right into his covered trailer. He paid me and I was happy.

Found a picture of it on the HAMB a few days ago, now flamed up. These are the Now and Then pictures (mine on right).

Attached Files:

19. Jerrys Kars

Jerrys Kars
    from Virginia

Sometimes win sometimes lose. Win-Closing a deal on a Boss 429, of course had to get the money not with me. Would be coming back a few days later with the money. Offered to give a down payment, he said no just a handshake. He could have sold the car to other buyers for more money, but he waited for me. His word was good as gold. Lose-Buyer looked at my 57 Fairlane. Liked it and said he needed to get the money from an account. Said he would be back. Never saw him again. Learned a few yrs later he used the money to remodel kitchen for his wife and bought another 57. So you meet all kinds in the buying-selling game.

20. eberhama

eberhama

I've sold enough cars that I've started seeing patterns. If they ask stupid questions, or ask about inconsequential things = not a serious buyer. Whine about how impossibly far away from you they are, and their truck gets 1 mpg, blah blah blah = not a serious buyer. Start nitpicking the car before they ever see/drive it based on small pictures and a brief description = Not a serious buyer. 1st thing out of their mouth is a low ball, or what's the absolute bottom price = not a serious buyer. I use these rules to decide who I wait for, and who I blow off.

21. indianhead74

indianhead74

I just can't do it anymore, Has anyone taken a deposit on a car and then had a guy walk up with the full asking price? That's a test of character. I just want it clean and simple. How much now? Cash American, Thanks

22. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

In my 33 years I've found that word over phone is different than a hand shake and if something's for sale then the first person with cash, cashiers check or money order gets it. You need to keep in mind that this is a business transaction and businesses will not just hold something for someone without a deposit or payment in full.

23. As an old boss used to tell me: The 'greenback' is better than the 'be back'.

24. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Depends on the "vibe" I get from the prospect, some people I'll hold the item for a a day or so but most I won't. And price negotiations are for that moment only, if you talk me down and I accept you better have cash in hand. Once you leave the price negotiations are null and void.

Ain't that the truth!

25. cryobug

cryobug

I will never hold a car on a strangers word ever again. Nearly the same thing that happened to Kelly happened to me. I will never hold anything without a non refundable deposit.

26. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Got my ass burned on a remote deal with a guy from Wisconsin. Learned my lesson though.

27. Moparts

Moparts

well said.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So if someone called and it was still available and they said they were on the way it sounds like you would sell it to the next caller if they got there before the first caller,you think there are problems with the buyers then look in the mirror as there would be a problem with you the seller.

29. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Just bought a car off of the hamb a couple of weeks ago. 890 miles away, I asked the seller how much deposit he wanted and he said none but I was prepared to give one on a long distance deal like that. He was very straight forward about the car and even tried to talk me out of it and sent me more pictures after we agreed on a price. I showed up in his front yard with the cash on the exact day we agreed on and the deal went great. I have had lots of deals that went both ways though and even got tire kicked by someone who responded to this post earlier bitching about how he would never sell without a deposit!!!!

30. jimbousman

jimbousman

I have to admit I've bought some good stuff on a promise but then I'm not a tire kicker. If I say I'll buy it, it's a done deal. Can't say the same for others. I'll hold something with conditions. We set a time to meet and agree to the money up front. They don't show up, don't call, hosta la vista.