Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No problemo, I know speedway bikes are pretty big down under so I reckon you'll be able to scare up what you'll need. Shouldn't take much to adapt a dry clutch, probably just some splined/keyed shafting, bearings and a little machine work.

2. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Mel Kenyon at Weedsport New York USAC midget show 1975...

[​IMG]

3. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

here's a couple more from the 1975 Weedsport, New York USAC midget show....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Ronnie Evans Old Bridge NJ 1960

Attached Files:

5. baldtireman

baldtireman

First,notice the beautiful eyes on this lady. Second,is the top rail of the cage broken?:):):p

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I don't think it is broken - the front bar wraps rearward and is in the shadows.

7. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I don't think the cage is broken either, but the end of the roll cage padding is showing.

Wasn't the trophy girl Billy Englehart's wife?

8. Yes. Next to Linda Vaughn, June Cochran was easily the next most popular "Hurst Miss Golden Shifter."

June Cochran was a Playboy Centerfold, as well as Playboy Playmate of the Year in 1963.

Back in the day, Linda and June would just as easily show up as trophy girls for a USAC Indy Car race as much as a midget or sprint car race.

Sadly, June passed away in 2004 in Wisconsin.

Attached Files:

9. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

doing a little repair on this one in my shop

Attached Files:

10. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Some really cool photos!

11. racer76

racer76

If i'm not mistaken that race at the ohio state fair was the bobby marvin memorial race for a couple of years after he was killed in 63

12. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

just came across this hand out from U.M.R.A. T.Q. club in some of my dad's stuff. enjoy.....

page 1.
    [​IMG]

page 2.
    [​IMG]

page 3.
    [​IMG]

page 4.
    [​IMG]

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thank you, Lee, for posting those pages. I got most of my experience in flagging from the track with that organization in the early 1960s. A lot of old friends on those pages.

14. jimg12

jimg12

Lee,
    I drove the car Sonny Ates is in, the 51 car, the 8 car when it was new in 65, and drove the 60 car once. In the time frame above I was not driving. Built a new car in 71 and ran with UMRA untill 78. It was the best TQ club in the country for years. Ray Gross and John Potts were the flagmen and both were as good as anybody. Jim

15. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

thanks guys, I keep finding stuff here and there at dad's, I'll see what else I can come up with.

16. DocF

DocF

It always amazes me how many of the UMRA guys from the early 60s were still at it when we were trying to get a TQ group going down here in the Carolinas. Many of these guys would come down and run with us which helped us fill the filed, for sure. By that time most of the Midwestern TQs were running punched out 750 cc single stick Hondas. That was a very cost effective engine.

We tried, but the days of open wheel racing down here were pretty much over. Considering that AAA had once had 36 sprint cars registered in N.C., that is a sad commentary.

Doc

17. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Mr. Greenawalt - I noitice in one of the UMRA postings that that logos contain what I am assuming are driver names.

Can you shed any light on the one labeled Schern?

Thanks

18. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

WRA Sanctioned 'Open' Vintage Celebration - Sep 29th, 2012 Play Day, All Day Willow Springs Paved Oval

President Bob Mastroleo and the WRA Board have arranged for exclusive use of the Willow Springs Paved Oval from dawn to dusk on Saturday the 29th of Sep., 2012.

This event will be open to all vintage open wheel cars, caged and uncaged with the exception of there being no down tube cars.
    Also, cars will be grouped according to speed and configuration and each group will have seperate track times throughout the day.

All laps will be non-competitive laps, we are planning this to be a 'Celebration of Vintage Cars' and not a contest.

I'm particularly pleased with the prospect of older and slower cars such as my 1927 Miller Indycar Replica, Bill Barringer's 1938 Indycar and other slower, non roll bared racecars being able to run together in our own group. Many of these older cars have been sitting since the speed differential is so great in current vintage events.

Really look forward to another opportunity to celebrate our open wheel heritage.

See the flyer below for details.
    All questions should be directed to WRA President Bob Mastroleo 626 358 2284 [email protected]

Best Regards
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA

[​IMG]

19. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Listed on ebay 1947 Kurtis Kraft frame #154, Car has tons of documented history, programs, pictures,Results, and lap times. 1st full midget Johnny Parsons Jr.ever drove. July 4th 1964 Santa Maria Ca. Johnny qualified 4th quick in north vs south race. Because it was his first race he had to run in the semi. Johnny finished 2nd

20. P51captain

P51captain

Great stuff! My friend's Dad ran a midget in New Jersey and continued when they moved out to California in the late 50's. We grew up helping clean belly pans and riding to the tracks (El Toro, Bakersfield, San Bernardino etc) in the back of a pickup on either side of the car. He ran into the mid 70's. Wonderful time to be a kid. Thanks.:)

21. TommyA19

TommyA19

Hey fellow "old timers" - before ya know it, this will be here:

Hinchliffe Stadium Racing Expo

We are still looking for participants for this years show. We have an ample amount of space to accommodate anyone that would like to be a part in the show. If you would like to take part in the show, display a car, or exhibit please contact Ronny Dennis (718)344-0502. It is FREE to enter the show
    This years show will take place on Sunday September 2, 2012 of Labor Day weekend
    Gates open to participants at 10 am
    Show starts at 12 noon and runs all day
    Admission is FREE
    Hinchliffe Stadium is located in Paterson, N.J., on the corner of Liberty St. and Maple St. next to the Great Falls.
    Come out and show your support for the Stadium. While your there you can check out the Great Falls Festival. There is something for everyone. See you at the SHOW!

22. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Trailer and spares included

23. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Date for Hinchcliffe show has been changed to sometime in October contact Ron for date and times. Get your cars out to support this piece of racing history.

24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Ronny Dennis (718)344-0502

I think this event needs a lot more support from us. Last year's last minute CX due to Hurricane hasn't helped.

25. TommyA19

TommyA19

While at Nostalgia Night at the Orange County Fair Speedway in Middletown, NY, last night, I was told of the change for the Hinchliffe show. Looks like it might well be Sunday, October 7th - but don't hold me to that - yet!

26. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

They look to me to be photo credits for photographiers, not sure. I just thought it was a neat old handout and figured you all would get a kick out of seeing it. Sorry don't know much about it.
    Lee

27. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Without research I would say that was Steve Schern from Wanamaker In, logtime UMRA member.

28. DocF

DocF

No, not photo credits. I know that a lot of UMRA stuff had those personalized logos referring mostly to drivers. Naturally, the poster of the question is asking about one I do not know.

I do not know if Roland Harpring or Dick Dwenger are still around or if they are on the internet at all. I do know that Bobby Lowe's daughter Sandy is on the net and may have some data on this stuff.

Good luck,
    Doc

29. racer76

racer76

Does anybody have any pics of dave moore #1 crosley that raced at teaneck nj in 1962 or pete samemi #1 midget

30. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Here's a list of UMRA drivers all-time from their website.

http://umra.com/about/drivers-list-history/

Roland is still around, I visit with Mel Harpring once in a great while.

We lost Dick Dwenger and his son Larry about 2wks apart in '94.

I built their engines in '93.