Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '39 Ford deluxe coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bob, Jul 17, 2011.

1. b-bob

b-bob

Well i finally got far enough along to go for a drive. Found out that the rebuilt tranny is ill, and it has to come back out. The re-builder, a friend, will fix it but i have to re and re it.
    On the positive side of things, it did pass Air Care and i now have plates on it.

Now that i have 'calmed down' i am heading outside here in a couple of minutes to start pulling the trans out.
    Sorry about the small pics, that is another problem i am having,

[​IMG]

2. Bart78

Bart78

Sorry about the trans. The car looks great you did a awesome job.

3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Sorry your trans didn't work out. Looking at your pictures it looks like you can remove the trans from under the car without pulling the engine. Hope thats the case.

4. b-bob

b-bob

Just got started, taking a break. It will come out from the bottom, one exhaust may be a problem will see soon.
    After getting my plates yesterday i thought i could take it easy and relax today.....oh well that's hot rodin'.

5. desotot

desotot

zoom zoom, I am envious Brian, I only get to drive mine from the house to the shop and vise versa.

6. b-bob

b-bob

Took the trans in this morning, my friend said he will fix it and bring it back out to me and help me install it again. With my back problems, i definitley need the help.
    So this afternoon i will clean up the mess from yesterday.

7. b-bob

b-bob

The trans is back in and no problems. The trouble was the shift linkage wasn't in sinc with the detents in the column, causing the linkage not to go all the way into 'gear'.
    I am back on dealing with some small things that need some attention.

8. b-bob

b-bob

Just been working on finishing up some details. The weather has been wet since the trans went back in, so haven't driven it.
    Was feeling burned out for a couple of days there, but back at. I want to take it to lunch with the car guys here on Wednesday and for breaky on Saturday with a group of car guys from our local car computer site. Like this one only a heck of a lot smaller of course.
    I realy enjoy the HAMB, it keeps the brain working in the right direction.

9. b-bob

b-bob

39 guy, what will you be driving to Puyallup? I will look for whatever that is.

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have a white 39 Ford convertible with with graphics painted low on the doors and quarter panel. I usually park it in a large open stock shed not to far from the main pedestrian entrance gate. I walk around a lot so just leave a note in the front seat of my car and we can try to get together. If all goes according to plan I should arrive Friday around 10 AM. I usually head out to the drag races Friday evening and return again to the show early Saturday and stay until about 9PM.

11. b-bob

b-bob

I'll be watching for you. We also park under a large roof, and it's close to a spectater entrance. I am sure i have seen that car before.

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Brian I looked for your Friday and Saturday at Puyallup. Hope you are OK. There were some nice coupes at the show but I did not see one like yours with BC plates.

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Brian, your coupe turned out great! Congrats on the build!

14. b-bob

b-bob

We put our house up for sale last week, so had to stay home "just in case".
    The car is basically done, a few small things left to do. I have been taking a break from it,feeling kind of burned out after working on it almost every day, even for just a couple hours a day, for the last year.

Hope we can catch up next year, i am looking for a clock if you know of one available.

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have a clock but have not decided if I will use it or not on the convertible sedan project. I 'll be watching for one for you. The Puyallup show was real good this year. We had great weather. I stayed in the camping area for the first time and found out the activities go on late into the wee hours.I enjoyed the experience but didn't get much sleep. I think I will return to the Motel accommodations next year.

The 39 Guy

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

17. grander

grander

Just read this build from the start. Great work.

18. FlatTracker

FlatTracker
    from Ohio

Very nice looking car. I have a soft spot for 39 and 40 Fords of all makes

19. b-bob

b-bob

20. b-bob

b-bob

It has been a great summer here and work on the car just came to a halt as i am just driving it instead.
    Doing a small amount of work on a friend's 36 3 window to help him out and that should be done in a couple of weeks.
    There is a list of things to do this winter to improve a few shortcuts that were done to meet my deadline of July 3rd. This is when my vehicle inspection would run out and i didn't to go through that stress again.
    Plans include getting the van tilt out of the car and replacing it with a Lime works column and either my 40 wheel or a stock banjo wheel if i can get one.
    The car has a 37 seat in it to replace the 39 because the 37 is much more practical as it is out of a tudor and has the split back that makes access to the rear area much easier as the 39 seat had the backrest that lifted up from the bottom to access the rear area.BUT,i want to section the metal brackets to get the seat to sit an inch or so lower, i am not very tall,but i look out the top of the windshield and the visors.
    Going to replace the glove box door with another i have that holds the clock. I can't find a stock clock for a reasonable cost so i an going to install a different one behind the stock lens and chrome ring and 'wings'. Maybe one day i can replace it with a stock one.
    There are other little details to do as well that all new cars need.
    Looking forward to getting to it in a month or so when the winter rainy season arrives.

21. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the post b-bob. Just read it from top to bottom. Red 39 looks familiar. Need to go out in the shed and work on mine again. Great job. Now enjoy it. :)

22. afaulk

afaulk

Love your coupe (thought you weren't gonna paint it red) whatever color it is, it's beautiful work! I've enjoyed several vacations in southern and coastal BC. (several years ago) Best regards from north Alabama!

23. b-bob

b-bob

You're right, it was going to be Desert Tan. But after spraying the Tan on the firewall ,door jambs etc, i pushed it ouside to go to the paint shop and i didn't like the color in the sunlight. Looked too yellow. So...back to the paint store and went with a dark red that i thought would look "classy".
    The color is actualy darker in person than in the pics.
    Everyone was glad i changed it because no one else liked the Tan either but didn't say anything.
    I never told anyone of the color change, and just let them see it when they came by.
    Glad i changed my mind, or i would have never been happy with the car. OOh! and i have two gallons of Tan on the shelf....cheap!

24. b-bob

b-bob

Have been busy this last six months trying to sell my house and down sizing.

Finally sold the hose in this slow economy and now living in a small rancher with only a two car garage to work in.

Now that things are more settled i want to get a few small changes done for spring.
    Biggest change will be the removal of the van tilt and forty wheel and replacing this with a old style column and a 39 banjo wheel that still needs a little TLC and paint.

Of course, this means the column shift will have to be replaced by a Lokar shifter now that the Gennie shifters aren't available anymore.

Have a few more small improvements as well, but i'll get into that as time goes by.
    Hope to get going again in a couple of weeks, i need a couple more pieces before i start.

So, a Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year to everyone on this Hockey-ass message board!

25. good luck buddy ...... Nice car by the way .....

26. Rok 51

Rok 51

A great read on Christmas Day, Bob. I hope your back is coming good and you have many years of enjoyment out of a really nice ride.

27. b-bob

b-bob

Back has been a little better since i had three nerves "burned" last May. It's done with needles and radio frequincy waves. Doc heats up the nerve to 80 degrees celsius, just under the temperature of boiling water, and holds it there for two minutes. That stops the pain from traveling to the brain and telling the brain there is a problem.
    This was the second time i have had it done, hurts like hell, but it's worth the relief.
    I've had two eye strokes in eleven months now, had an MRI last Wednesday, Dr. thinks i may have a tumor behind the eye. Get the results in a couple of weeks. No fun getting old!
    My car helps keep my mind off my problems.

28. I think I have changed my out look on life.................Thank you Bob

29. wizzard23

wizzard23

Really enjoyed this thread. Car is awesome! Hang in there Bob and Merry Christmas.

30. Definetly one of my bucket list rides. You're a lucky guy.

I'm gonna follow along. Looking great so far.