Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ah yes, kit cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Mar 12, 2010.

1. boldventure

boldventure

The sports roadster in these photos was built sometime around 1953. The photos heave Kodacolor Print and the date June 1, 1953 stamped on the back.

From what I've been able to find it is a Glasspar body. According to the builders daughter it was built by Robert Tanous in the Monterey, Ca. area.
    Mr. Tanous ran a shop called Del Monte Garage 966 Sloat Ave. Monterey Ca. I've included a couple of photos of Mr. Tanous as well.

The b/w photo of the fendered roadster was with the photos so I added it too. This roadster looks like an early Chevrolet judging from the emblem on the radiator.

Attached Files:

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man....I'd LOVE to get the chance to shred a gearbox or two in that!
    There's hokey kits for sure...but I think the biggest issue with kit cars is that they are advertised for, and purchased by, people with more ambition than skill.
    Kit cars have the potential to be awesome in many cases.

It's like selling someone basic groceries and guaranteeing that with "just a few simple steps" the meal will be mouthwateringly delicious.

That may in fact be the case...but I believe the skill of the COOK has something to do with it as well!

3. 69fury

69fury

My highschool chemistry teacher has choptop merc and a vette that had been rebodied with a Victress body at some point- very lovely shape to it, but maybe a 54 vette wasn't the best chassis to pick...:( He likes it, obviously, but told me "if you ever find a vette with tailfins, grab it..."

rick

4. Algon

Algon

70's pimp either way...:D

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't care for kit cars. I recognize the market and applaud their new owner's ability, but just not for me. That whole primetime era of Auburn speedsters and Cobras was off the hook in the late 70s. Then came the pimpmobiles like the Zimmer and Clenet, I'd be ashamed to be seen in either. All of that aside, I always liked the fiberglass sportscar concept. Just this past Thursday I was revisiting a Packard V8 powered Devin. Completely different worlds. Also different is the latest crop of "faithful" Ford racers. I forget the name but there was a really faithful GT40 that mixed metal and 'glass to get one as close as can be to the real thing for way less that their high 6 figure values. To the OP, that one does look really nice.

6. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

My unfinished Kellison project was abandoned in Jacksonville, FL in the mid 60's - maybe it's still around somewhere...

7. terryr

terryr
    from earth

The Ferris Bueller car was a kit copying a 1961 Ferrari 250GT California, using a tube chassis and MGB doors, trunk, windshield and bits.

[​IMG]

8. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Have always wanted a KIT CAR.
    Hotrodder;s seem to have much disdain for kit cars, but 98 percent of all hot rods were assembled from a kit of parts.
    I perused a couple of build threads and both builders used parts not originally from their cars, but many from other cars.
    A Kit Car, if you will.
    For example, on of the most traditional cars I know is assembled from parts accumulated over quite a few years dating back to 1958.
    (btw not fbrgls.)

Attached Files:

9. uglydog56

uglydog56

This is on my bucket list also.

10. i have build many kitcars in holland.
    But now i'm back to the hot rod cars.
    With a kitcar you always have to explain to people. And it's so hard to get them on the road here in holland.

i have build these cars.

mostly with a ls engine or a ford 302

Attached Files:

11. I think Kit cars are great.. mostly the oddball bodies that ARENT a cobra... like say a manta mirage... Mclearin kits are the best in my book...

12. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Fiberfab Aztec GT II

Attached Files:

13. zzford

zzford

I like the Cobras, but around here their about as rare as 55 Chevys.

14. The Manta Mirage is one I've always wanted.
    [​IMG]