Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM 10 Bolt ID with picture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phoenixmsb, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Phoenixmsb

Phoenixmsb

Hello all,

I can't find what GM 10 bolt rear end I have. Please see picture. I got it from Spirit Industries and they told me a 1990-1994 S10 Blazer. When it arrived, there were no backing plates on it. I bought some from a junk yard but when I bolt the wheel cylinders in them, they won't bolt up to the rear end. I can't find the casting numbers - tried that first.

Anyone out there to help me?

:cool:

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

the funky wheel cylinder mount looks like the 78-87 midsize cars like the G body. Held in with a clip instead of bolts.

3. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

What squirrel said. Backing plates can be bought at any auto parts store that sells dorman stuff.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The axle is the description says. The wheel cylinders do not bolt into the backing plates, they are held in by a spring clip. The backing plate must be on the axle housing BEFORE you try to mount the wheel cylinders.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Clip shown at left. If your wheel cylinders don't look like this, then they are the wrong ones.

The backing plates are held onto that flange by two small bolts at the bottom of the flange, and a big anchor pin (shoes) at the top. The wheel cylinder goes in the hole below the anchor pin, with the semi-circular saddle up against the anchor pin, keeping the cylinder from rotating. The spring clip goes on the backside holding the cylinder in. The clips can be frustrating to put in. Be patient, and take your time.

Backing plates:
    http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-17521-13867.aspx
    Shown upside-down for some reason. Anchor pin shown at bottom of the picture (which is the TOP of the plate). You'll have to source the other two small bolts locally. They are metric. I can't recall the size.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

5. Phoenixmsb

Phoenixmsb

Thank you all for the great answers. I'll try to find some Dorman ones tomorrow.

Best board (and people ever!)

:cool:

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

my 84 s10 rear used the same wheel cylinders, autozone had them on the shelf.

8. caseyrod

caseyrod

gm use 3 10 bolt rears g body and s-10 use 7.5 rears earlier bodys like70 s a body use 8.2 and camaros,firebirds7novas use 8.5 very few parts interchange.if you post a pic off the cover of the rear may we can help you narrow it down.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a 7.5/7.625 1978-94'ish. The housing ends give it away.