Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!! Is this a good enough contract to let my car be in a movie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

After reading that I would have no further contact with those jokers. What a bunch of clowns.

2. So I just called them to tell them I didn't want my car in the movie. They kept telling me all these other things and how they are going to re-do the contract. Here is how it will be now...

-No one can drive the car but me

-$3,000 if anything falls on the car or if it's damages

What do you guys think? I tried telling them $3,000 is NOTHING if something serious happens.

He asked me on the phone even "Well, what would it cost to re-paint a car if there were scratches? $2,000?" I said :NO! Way more than that to re-paint a car.

I don't know I'm still really weary about it.

3. I think you'd have a lot less stress in your life if you just bagged it. Way too many what if's. I wouldn't go there at all !!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There can only be two motivators in you wanting to do this:

1) The $200 fee, or

2) The ego boost of seeing your car in a movie.

Which is it ?

The odds are that you will let them use your car as a backdrop and nothing will come of it, but are you willing to take that chance ?

Don

I'm betting you do it anyway, regardless of the advice to the contrary. What makes me think that is that you are still on the fence after so many people saying run away.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  5. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The one thing that nobody has picked up about this contract is that if anyone is injured by your car, even if it is an unseen condition, YOU ARE LIBEL FOR DAMAGES.

Run away as fast as you can from this fiasco!

6. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Looks like it was written by a Nigerian living in the U.K.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeez-O-Pete, man, I don't think you need to ask again, do you? I didn't calculate the percentage of "NO" responses you got, but a quick guess says it's damn near 100%.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

When they used my 1946 Harley while filming I was promised that no one but Steve McQueens son, Chad, would ride it. I drove up one day as some asshole I had never seen before rode up on it. It really pissed me off since I have a B&H footshifter on it that could rip the guts out of the transmission if you dont get at least a minute of instruction on how to shift. They will NEVER again use my old vehicles!

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

There was a thread on here about how much it REALLY costs to repaint a classic car. I'd shoot them a link to that thread. Their offer of $3000 worth of damage coverage wouldn't even cover the body work if anything were to happen to the car. For $200? Not a chance. Then there's a bigger picture. The liability issue.

What if they were asking YOU to be in the movie? Your pay is $200. It's a knock-em-down, shoot-em-up scene, and they want you to be part of the cast. You are responsible for carrying your own insurance if you so choose. If you are hurt you are responsible, and if you should happen to hurt someone else as your character, you are also responsible. It is March 31st, 1993. Your character aims a gun loaded with blanks at Brandon Lee...

Point is, accidents happen. Whether to you (read; your car), or at your hand (read; involving your car). It sounds like they know this, and they know that anything can happen, and they don't care who has to pick up the pieces as long as it isn't them. Run away. Put me down for a resounding NO.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are unwilling or unable to accept 100% liability for any, and ALL damage that occurs while the vehicle is within the perimeter of the set, or being used, in ANY capacity for the production, up to, and including replacing the entire vehicle, as well as any and all property damage, and personal injury, then the answer is, emphatically: NO.

Unless you have a commercial use clause in YOUR automobile insurance policy (in fact many policies forbid it), you'd be on the hook for all of the cost of even the slightest damage to your car, and done BY your car.

Not worth the risk. CYA, always. PM me if you need some examples of what happened to me when I failed at this.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You want 15 minutes of fame? Post some pics on here. Would you loan your wife or kids out for $200?

12. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Thats a good idea, why don't you loan me out your wife. I will only use her for the purpose that she was intended for and return her with only normal wear and tear.

I will even show you the pictures!

13. flatford39

flatford39

You need a lawyer...not a forum. I can't believe sme of thse posts sometimes.

14. cheveey57

cheveey57

The disclaimer says it all, stay away. If the damage it your insurance will have to pay. And based on your coverage they probably won't. And even if they did your rates would go up too. Tell them thanks but no thanks

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, like he is going to pay an Attorney on a $ 200 deal ! :rolleyes:

That contract is one of the easiest to interpret, simply read it line by line. I took just enough law courses to be dangerous, but the language in this one is very clear. It gives NO protection to the car owner, requires him to provide proof of insurance, and holds them harmless for whatever might occur, even the weather.

Stevie Wonder could read and understand this one.

Don

16. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

I remember seeing a television show about houses from famous movies. Most of them were privately owned and were being used with permission from the homeowners. They showed all the damage and modifications the film crews did to the houses. They basically used the house for shooting, destroyed it and left the homeowners to fix it themselves. These were big time production companies too.

If I were you, I wouldn't let them use the car.

17. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Damn dude do you need somebody to hit you with a freaking brick up side your head to make you see the light.... RUN FORREST.......RUN!!!!!!

18. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I agree with you Don.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

20. Okay so I am 95% not wanting to do this now. Thanks guys. Just in case any of you wanted to see the NEW contract here it is...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not that I want any fame, my car has been in calenders, magazines, web sites, etc. over the years, just thought it could be a cool experience, fun day and a chance to help someone out. I'm not looking for fortune and fame.

21. Please make it 100%

22. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Maybe this will work......Run Moose Run!!!

23. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

A friend of mine learned the hard way with a low budget movie. His car came back dented, with holes drilled in the dash and the roof for camera mounts. The major film studios cover the whole car with their insurance and pay up if they damage it per the contract.

24. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Too much risk, and you're left holding the broken pieces if anything goes awry.

25. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

WHAT?!? I would have been so far beyond PISSED that the LIGHT from pissed wouldn't hit their asses for another million years!

26. Knowing a gentleman that leased two nice original cars a 39 Buick and a pristine black 47 Ford sedan to a production company in South Carolina about 12 years ago with a contract for $50.00 each per day for 60 days thought he would end up making some money but the responsibility for all insurances fell squarely on his shoulders.

They abused the cars and mounted cameras on the fenders with no provisions to prevent scratches.

The grill in the Buick was busted and the left front fender was smashed and the bumper was bent.

The Ford didn't receive as much damage although the perfect paint really took the bulk of abuse.

Long story short Eddie told me he felt stupid for letting the company load up his cars and take them to the lower part of the state but he was helpless after signing the contract.

He told me after they returned the cars and he was payed he broke even after the repairs,,Eddie says,,never again! HRP

27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run Forrest, Run!

28. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Wasn't this one of the reason the LA Roadsters were formed? To help club members in renting their cars out to movie studios and make a little money doing so, while protecting the car owners thru sound contracts? Maybe one of their members could help explain the ins and outs of such a deal. Had some friends whose cars & trucks were in "Mischief". I recall every one of them bitching about NOT getting paid the amount they were supposed to, some didn't get paid at all.

30. For $200....? You're time is worth more than that for starters.....you'll spend hours sitting around doing nothing but wasting time. Not even to mention the risk to your car. $200....no way.