Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage On my way to the Jalopy Invitational is saw this (Attn: Hudson fans)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetside66, Jul 29, 2012.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

Near a place called New Smithville, PA, not too far off of the major hiway (but unseen from there) there are a couple of buildings that were probably an old car dealership & corresponding garages. Somebody in the past ten years has done an incredible restoration on them. Maybe someone here can shed some light on that.

On our way down to the Jalopy Showdown Invitational on Friday, there was some sort of gala affair going on & everything was opened up & on display. It appeared to be a Hudson/Essex/Terraplance club function. Even though we had an appointment elsewhere, we had about ten minutes to spare to get some quick pics. The pictures are only of one building. I think the other is a garage converted to a residence and maybe more car storage (which I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking pictures of anyway).

Practically everyone there looked older than me (and I'm 65). What going to happen to these cars in another ten years?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An old Hudson crate motor..I wonder what that thing is worth? Note the twin carbs.

[​IMG]

Some sort of large Hudson motor...maybe military..didn't have time to read the sign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thanks for the pics. Always amazes me when I see stuff like that engine still in the original crate.

3. flamed34

flamed34

Nice pics.
    I have to wonder where that crate motor came from. At the auction here in NC where I bought my old '21 Studebaker, there was a twin carb Hudson crate motor that looked exactly like that. Definitely not a common item making me wonder if its the same one.

4. Incredible stuff there.

5. Very kool, too have that much time and money!

6. HET Club was having their National Meet in Gettysburg last week. Tons of Hudsons, Essex and Terraplanes in central PA.

7. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

"Some sort of large Hudson motor...maybe military..didn't have time to read the sign." - OP

That ginormous Hudson powerplant in yellow was used to power Naval vessels. Purdy neat!

9. theylive

theylive

Dig the pics.. thanx for sharing!

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I saw a couple Hudsons today. a Hornet with "Twin H Power" and a Wasp.. both in new condition.

11. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I have stopped there a few times going to the Showdown. Great place. Easy to find off I-78.
    Slim

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

...forgot these two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I beleive the Hudson Marine Invader application was either for Higgens boats ( infantry landing craft of WWII) Neat place.

from wiki

The Hudson "Invader" engine powered many of the landing craft used on the D-Day invasion of Normandy, June 6, 1944.

14. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Wow! Thanks for posting this, Greg. I'll have to stop there next time and check it out.
    I did see a light green Hornet driving north on Rt 15 as I was going to the Showdown. Always cool to see on the road.
    The Museum at the Latimore has a Twin H engine on display, right next to it's racing nemesis, the Rocket 88.
    There will be loads of Hudsons at Macungie this weekend. Maybe I'll seeya there.

Attached Files:

15. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I knew there had to be something going on....on out way home to Ohio on Sunday a buddy and I was laughing saying and saying it's odd to see this many hudsons on the road in one day. Great pics thanks for sharing!

16. 2935ford

2935ford

The young folks today have no interest in them so.......some will stay in museums and some.......the crusher man will finally get them!