Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this teardrop worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Dodger, Jul 29, 2012.

1. I know it's hard to judge a book by it's cover, but I would like to know what the approximate value of this teardrop trailer may be worth. Has some rot, but very restorable. Here is the owner's description...

This trailer belonged to my brother and I don't know all the details but it appears to be a well-built vintage Trailer For Two style that needs easy-but-time-consuming restoration; it is paint over masonite, has the original galley kitchen, which includes ice box; more photos available on request.

Attached Files:

2. You may want to post your question here
    http://www.tnttt.com/
    These guys know everything about teardrops and tiny trailers

3. Most of these trailers were home made. If it was made by a manufacturing company it might be worth more, but judgeing by the pics its gonna need a total rebuild. You would be lucky to get a couple hundred for.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does look like it was owner built but it was well built when they did it. As Jimmywicked said above expect to do a complete rebuild on it and replacing about 2/3 of it due to water damage.

Figure out if the cost of buying it and rebuilding it is more than building one yourself and using some of the details in yours.

5. pastlane

pastlane

Looks like a lot of de-laminating plywood & rot from here.

6. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I think he should pay you to haul it off...

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Masonite weighs a lot. NOT exactly what you want to use on a teardrop trailer, and pretty much defeats their intended purpose. That's a homebuilt, and maybe worth a hundred bucks at the most. Looks as though it needs EVERYTHING to even make it towable, and campground-ready.

8. I think you could get more out of the torque thrust D wheels laying around there.

9. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Usually the only thing the old wood is used for when restoring old trailers is for patterns. I don't see much value in a home brew for patterns.

10. Just like restoring a vintage canned ham,,you are going to have to totally dissemble everything and use the old wood for patterns.

Get it as cheap as possible because it's gonna cost more than you think to rebuild it. HRP

11. Thanks for the input, guys.

12. rockguy92

rockguy92

How badly do you want it? It is worth what you are willing to pay for it, provided you want to keep it. If you just want to flip it, that's a whole different story.

The Rock

13. Beau

Beau

I'd expect it to be for sale for about $500 in that shape.

I'd pay about $300.

14. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

It looks rough, Masonite should all be replaced, does he have a title? Lots of work to restore it. Buy it as a building project, cheap if possible.Good luck.

15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Are you trying to sell it or buy it? It might be a good start if you were going to build one of these from scratch. You would have all of the patterns and probably a title.

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

I would say its only good for patterns & the rear kitchen looks salvageable

paterns are all over on line and with a harbor freight trailer frame kit your on your way

check out this site for alot more info and ideas
    http://www.tnttt.com/

17. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

From time to time, I sell them for sale in that condition. Sellers are always asking $500 to $1750 for teardrops that are worth $200 to $500. I would not be interested in that one (too rough) but would not pay more that $200-$250, if I bought it at all.

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

This is the second thing I've seen you ask about potential value on. Did you stumble onto an estate by chance? If so, pm me on whatever else you got.... ;)

I would value that teardrop at about $200, if I were looking for a major project.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Great trailer for a rebuild and reskinning with modern material or aluminum. Worth a couple or three hundred to anyone who cares.