Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 5 window coupe questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roughneck Josh, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Roughneck Josh

Roughneck Josh

Hey guys,

Another project car i just picked up and have a few questions if anyone can help... i was wondering what some people were using for front clips....and also something that will fit for a steering column? Also ui heard that a late 60-'s rear end out of a camaro will work or a early nova? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Roughneck Josh

2. Fenders

Fenders

Another Model A "five window coupe" !!

3. kscarguy

kscarguy

Granda rear end fit perfect in my 31, with 7" wheels and a 3-1/2" back spacing. Did not have to change inner fenders and tires cleared the fender lips. Front end I used a 4" drop front axle, reversed spring eyes, 14x 6 wheels.

4. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

my favorite 'front clip' under a model A is a 1932 straight axle. give me a call at the shop and we can talk about what's right for a car like that.

5. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

If you're going to use fenders it takes much more planning and measuring than fenderless car does. Wheel width and backspace, tire widths, brakes, axle length all have effect to total tire outside to tire outside distance.
    I have done many A's all different and all with fenders. I like my front wheel center to be at the highest point of the fender and rear tire sidewall to be at or little out of the fender.
    48" front axle works if the wheel is narrow or has more backspace and brake is narrow or the 46" axle is good with wheels with small backspace or wider brake.
    About 56" wide rear axle is good for up to 8" wheels with stock inner wheelwells.
    I have used late fifties 9" and 8" axles from Mavericks and Granadas. Early Nova 10-bolts are close to that width too.
    This car <- has Heidt's Superide IFS with 15x6, 195/65-15 and 16x8, 265/65-16 on Maverick 8".
    If you're after old style search Hitchhiker's coupe build. IMO it can't be better.

Attached Files:

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's a lost cause.:(

7. Let's hope he has a chevy , then we can have something to hang onto

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

No "front clip". Use what's there. Drop the axle, split the wishbones, use an f100 steering column and box. Any independant front suspension will make it stupid.

9. Give him a brake! He's a ''f--kin newfie guy''sorry couldn't resist.All model a coupes are ''5 windows'' [no factory 3 windows till '32]Some people with nothing better to do like to point this out to new guys rather than give usefull info.Do a searce on here,every thing you want to know is on here if you can find it!

10. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

don't give up so soon! there may be hope yet.

11. Who said he had a Ford yet alone model A ?
    :rolleyes:

12. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Geeeeeeeeeeeeee....some of you guys....

13. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

No wonder some guys have 4,5, or 10,000 posts with just smart ass info to people who need help. Get a life.

14. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Hold up.....

Here is what you should do. Put the car someplace safe...Do NOT touch it. Hang around the HAMB here for at LEAST a year and read every thread relating to your car. Study these cars closely and ask lots of questions....Than plan your build.

15. Not all 10,000 posts were smart ass comments,
    some are just like yours. :rolleyes:

16. Roughneck Josh

Roughneck Josh

ya it is a chev guys sorry not mentioning that before

17. whooo-hooo there is hope for the FNGs

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  18. No front clip ....
    Best thing is a transverse spring cross member and a Ford style front axle.
    Get an original and have it dropped or a forged aftermarket. Avoid the cast axles like your life depends on it, well because it does. There's more options available for the ford front end.

19. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

clips are for ashtrays

20. My mistake,asumed it was a Ford,[so did every body else]Dead elvis is right,study the HAMB,plan ahead, avoid the rat rod crap and you will be fine. p s lets see some pics!

21. aojo

aojo

"31Vicky" is correct in that you can replace the front cross member and adapt a Ford transverse spring set up with lots of options.. but check out www.butchescoolstuff.com first as they have lots of early Chevy replacement parts for modernizing the front end and there is nothing wrong with running a parallel spring system.. doing this keeps the stock radiator mount and thus hood fitting isnt an issue.

22. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Ok, Chevy.
    In the 90's I put on my 28 Chevy roadster early Nova 10-bolt with 6x15 wheels and 205/75-15 tires and front I kept the original axle with 70's Camaro discs selfmade caliper adapters and 4,5x15 wheels and 165-15 tires. Original leaf springs with some leaves removed front and rear.
    Another guy in Finland put German Opel Commodore IFS in his 30 Chevy sedan.

Attached Files: