Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford Coupe!! Quite the Mess

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flop, Mar 4, 2012.

1. brady1929

brady1929

you are amazing

2. bfinch56

bfinch56

mind is blown

3. Tommy R

Tommy R

Wow, that looks great! Looking forward to more...

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, dude. There's a lot more detail here than Facebook lead me to believe. This car is going to be killer. It's all simple stuff compared to the Pontiac, huh?

5. Flop

Flop

thanks everyone i really appreciate it!!

def a lot more detail brent!! ahhh for some reason now that i think of it the pontiac didnt have the same feeling this car does to me . maybe the s10 frame and new motor who knows . but i learned alot on that one

finished the firewall today

[​IMG]

and the back

[​IMG]

passenger side lower cowl . got the major welding done now just have to do the 2 detail pieces that dont come on the patch panel .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. Flop

Flop

i got a pm about how i made the weird break /bead on the fire wall . so hopefully this will help some of you guys out down the road if you ever have to make this piece.

this took me a while to figure out but its relatively easy once you know how to do it .

fold a piece of steel in half . i started it by hand then finished the job with a body hammer

[​IMG]

unfold then find a way to make the bead deeper . i myself used a small opening in my vice with the chisel end of the body hammer made it more pronounced

[​IMG]

then i had to work it more to match the bead once it was on the car

[​IMG]

and thats what it looks like all finished up

[​IMG]

also had to make this piece but its just a simple break

[​IMG]

still have to fill a few pits but im about 99% done with the cowl now!!

[​IMG]

7. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Nice work Flop!!!

8. David Chandler

David Chandler

9. jfrolka

jfrolka

I would say quite the persistence and patience.

10. 1938ute

1938ute
    from australia

great work subscribed

11. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Hi Flop, I've been following your builds long time and you sure do amazing work.
    I would like to know how do you get the panels so straight. How do you monitor the remaining panel thickness when you sand to finish?
    I would also appreciate your advice for my doors and cowl that are somewhat wavy after welding little too straight repair panels. Should I hammer on dolly all over to stretch?
    Thanks, Jukka

12. n847

n847

Thanks for the tech!

13. Taff

Taff

it's not fair, how ocme you have all my skill gene's and i got all the clumsy-sausage finger genes?!

14. Interesting technique. I just went through that, but on that little bead under the cowl band, which I can't believe no one sells just little strips of that bead. Hell, you could press out 2" wide sheets by the mile and sell it by the inch or foot, because it seems like everyone needs at least a few inches above the lower cowl patches.

But for that one that you did, isn't that the same as the gas tank so you just use a section of a busted gas tank (seems like they are plentiful and cheap)? I ask because originally for the other bead, that was my plan, then i realized the cowl didn't have the bead under the cowl band.............doh!

Anyways, for the archives I'll add what I did, even though i'm a little embarrassed. And even though it was the other bead, it would probably work just as well for the one you did.

• used a 4 or 4.5" grinding wheel on an angle grinder to cut a groove in down the middle of a 2x4
    • tacked some 1/8" round stock down the middle of one side of some 1.5 or 2" angle iron (angle provided some rigidity for step 3)
    • put some 18ga in between them and just pressed them together in a regular old press
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn.... great work.

16. billys54

billys54

17. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Wow...great skills...

18. Like the way the tank top welded to the cowl sides, have been contemplating doing this myself to the sedan. Did you tig or mig weld it in and is there an order in which you welded from side to side? Also are you also going to weld in the piece that mounts to the top of the tank behind the windshield? Thanks in advance for any info, your well documented threads have been very helpful in building the sedan, love your work.

At what point did you weld the firewall in permenatly and what are you going to do at the joint where the tank attatches to the firewall with screws.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  19. Flop

Flop

thanks everyone i appreciate the words!! no real work .moving to a new shop this week !!

reindeer . thickness really isnt an issue for me . your going to tell if you are going to burn or grind through . just have to keep an eye on everything .

hahah good one taff!

scott

different then the tank . good idea with the wood! i had no 2x4s around the shop and was impatient so came up with the fold haha .

bjinx everything is tigged

no order in the way i did it . i have some other ideas in mind for the windshield . keep posted for that one .

no particular time on the firewall either just wantted to get the cowl solid so i can start on the subframe . probably gonna put the screws back in actually.

20. Thanks for answering all my questions Flop. I have all your threads tagged, so will be waiting for updates.

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yeah, yeah, more incredibly amazing sheet metal work from you. Ooo-wow.

No. Naaaw, me jealous? Puh-lease. :)

Looking great, Flop!

22. big creep

big creep

wow flop thats very impressive work!

23. Flop

Flop

no problem bjinx

hah thanks matt!

thanks big creep!!

well i finished the subframe on a customer roadster so i figured i would trow my coupe on the frame before another customer project fills it up .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drawing circles . not a fan of sharp edges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

holding my calendar

[​IMG]

now waiting on the cross channels to be made since my brake is only 36 inches.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  24. Flop

Flop

heyyyyyyo!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

snyders sells the cross channels for 75. i had 25 dollars worth of sheetmetal and labor into them from the local hvac shop

and a big thanks to chop top kid for some measurements!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  25. Thanks for posting the build up,the pics really help!!!! Keep up the awesome work!Continuing to watch and learn!:)

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Details like this are what make for great builds. I friend worked for Briggs Cummingham in Florida and everything that was built in that shop had round or blunt edges. Its a safety deal besides looking professional. Bob [​IMG]

27. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Subscribed! Great thread!

28. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Beautiful work, as usual, Flop. I can't wait to watch you bring the rest of that body back. Man, that thing is rugged.

Kevin

29. Flop

Flop

no problem invisible !

thanks 37 kid.. always in the details for me !!

its not horrible Kevin haha . just really bad !!

once again thanks guys

picked up some parts today for the car in trade for some work i am going to do on a 31 tudor this winter .

47 lincoln front wish bones
    36 Ford rears and some juice brake backing plates . all in pretty damn good shape and would take chrome with little work !!

[​IMG]

30. chopt top kid

chopt top kid