Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T rebuilding a welding oxygen regulator ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark
    from CT

Got my Oxy/Act setup together , the regulators i have are older Marquette , they looked good, but the oxygen seesm to have a problem. When i turn off the oxygen the high pressure side seems to bleed in to the low pressure and it spikes up to 50 psi in a couple minutes. Can i rebuild this ? anyone done it ? send it somewhere? I know marquettes are pretty decent quality, My model is Marquette 25-110

2. Your local welding supply house usually offers this service to you.
    The cost is minimal

3. being reetired and cbeep i just go to HF and buy cheepies, seem to work well for me

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Parts have to be available for one. I purchased parts for an old 2-stage Victor a number of years ago and tried to repair it myself. The repair worked for a while then crapped out. I would have been better off buying some new ones. The next ones I bought were Smiths and so far so good. The 2-stage types are about the only ones even worth rebuilding but they are high priced units for sure. I'm not a TIG welder and I do a lot of gas welding so I can justify it. If all you do is use the cutting torch, go for the single stage units.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sent many of them in to our welding supplier (Air Gas) at my old job. They didn't repair them themselves in house and, in turn, shipped them out to somewhere else (SLC- IIRC) and it usually took several/many weeks to get them back.

6. jack orchard

jack orchard

find a regulator rebuilder near you that will do them in-house. since it's what they do, they are very good at it and can answer questions about price and parts availablity. Barrs Regulator Service in Orlando does great work. In and out in 2 days.

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!----Sounds like when you shut off the tank, you are not backing off the hose pressure side, then when you crank the tank back on later, all that tank pressure hits the diaphram & ruptures it----Don't fool with it---Take it to your local welding supply store.
    Been welding since 1951----Victor is tops for equipt.----Don

8. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I worked at a welding supply for 9 years. We had a shop that did repair on those. I can't remember who it was though. Damn CRS has struck again.

9. Mark

Mark
    from CT

Thanks for the responses fellas. I'll see if there is anyone local who can fix it. Its a single stage deal.

Attached Files:

10. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Ashamed to say it,HF, $99.00 gets you a whole set up. OSHA has got their hands into the rebuilding end. May or may not be available. I have a original set of AIRCO's bought in 1965, still going strong.

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

5 -10 years ago I had a problem with one of my old [45+ yrs] Craftsmen and took it to the local gas supply house to be sent out and checked, told the counterman I would have bought a new set up but liked the looks of the old brass gauges. He told me good thing I mentioned that, he would tag as such otherwise they might come back with some new cheesy looking ones. Everything came back fine after a couple week turnaround for about 70 something bucks, still working like new today.