Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do I really need a 7* taper in my split bone mounts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jul 27, 2012.

1. evintho

evintho

What the title says. Speedway bone splitting kit w/tierod ends and 3/8" plate for mounts. I drilled a 5/8" hole which the largest part of the tapered rod end fits into. Just a little bit of slop where the narrowest part sits. Sorry for all the dumb questions. I'm learnin' as I go! :eek:

2. metal man

metal man

Yes. You need more surface area.

3. F&J

F&J

what he said^

It needs to be able to get slammed sideways and not wallow the hole. It sure does take hard hits when they are used on wishbones....or tie rods

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The split wishbones kits used to come with a spacer button drilled to fit the early Ford tie rod end taper. After mounting the side plates to the frame you mounted the button to the back side of the plate tightened up the tie rod end and spot welded the button in place. Then take it apart and weld the button all around.
    WHY isn't anything sold complete and ready to install anymore??

5. F&J

F&J

I've made those bungs from round stock; drill a hole, then heat it red, and use a junk tie rod end to shape the taper.

Piss on speedyway, bring back blacksmithing;)

6. TERPU

TERPU

Man, I am not the safety police so please don't take this in such a manner. The reason for the taper is twofold.

One- they add more surface area for a tighter intersection.
    Two- is allows the tightening to provide a snug fit that won't come loose or wallowed to let the tie rod spin until you back the nut off.

Without the taper the hole just continues to wear and pretty soon the connection becomes loose.

Please do it right add the taper, it may save your life or better yet somebody else's. $76.00 is cheap to ensure it stays. Not only that but don't be a hack and have some pride in knowing the work was done right. Carry this through the whole build and the car will be something you can be proud of. "Everything you do in life is representation of you. Represent yourself the best you can at all times". - My Grandpa's words not mine but Good Lord man is it true

If it's for the car in the Avatar it's worth taking your time on, that's one cool ride.

Tim

7. evintho

evintho

Yep, I kinda thought so.......just wanted to hear it from the pros. Does Speedway or anyone else sell that taper button that pasadenahotrod spoke of?

8. When I built my model A, I bought a tapered reamer from MAC tool that matches the tie rod taper. I built my own frame tabs, and am ready for the next project.

9. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Speedway sells the 7 degree taper eyelets. They are under shock mounts part#916-36502 $2.99 each for the round eye or 916-36503 $3.99 each for the tab style. I don't know how to link you to them as I'm a computer dummy. Hope this helps

10. You can also make the taper with an old Unibit and a tapered burr on the die grinder. Easy, just sneak up on it. Last ones I did took 20 minutes tops. Unibit gets you close and the burr cleans it up.

11. evintho

evintho

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I can't see why the round one wouldn't work. We used to cut the ends off of spindles, grind them into a round piece, insert it into a hole in the frame or bracket, and weld all the way around it. Presumably, that is what you would be doing too.

Don

13. Take note that the Speedway round giz is too thick to just weld on the inside of your mounting bracket, the nut won't go on far enough for the cotter pin.

Easy to weld in a cut off Ford steering arm eye as mentioned above.

Even used to make the tapered holes with a rat-tail file back in the 60's, before I got better tools.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, it is 3/4 inch thick,but if he punches a hole in the bracket as big as the outside diameter of the new bung, and fully welds inside and out, it would end up about the right thickness.

Don

15. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Surface contact area is your friend.

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Just cut off the tapered tie rod ends off some old spindels.....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  17. oj

oj

It sounds to me like you are welding this into your frame rail? Unless you have raised your front axle (as opposed to having the axle dropped) then you'll need to attach the bones below your frame rail not in the frame rail. The bracket below the split bones kit in speedway would work, Kennys' Hot Rods has a nice one too.

18. LeonsA

LeonsA
    from Kansas

Speedway told me the shock bungs would not work as they were too thick for the cotter pin. I did as F&J did. Heated them up and used an old tie rod end taper and a big hammer. Made the taper deeper into the bung and worked well.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A few seconds with a belt sander would reduce the thickness to where a cotter pin would go in, not a big job.

Don

20. You could also lap an old taper into the hole with a big drill and some abrasives

21. evintho

evintho

My thoughts exactly! Ordered them last night....they're on the way. I thought about cutting up an old spindle too. Lotsa good suggestions here. It just seemed easier to order the tapered bungs. The price was right, that's for sure! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and feedback. Rest assured, I'll have more dumb questions! :D

22. It was a good question that netted several great ways to attack the problem!

23. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

If you don't want to do the taper,
    than use big heim joints with a 5/8 bolt.
    The doane spencer car used them so it can be considered traditional.
    I'm contemplating doing that to my car when it comes time to rebuild.
    TP

24. butterboy

butterboy

I make bungs in the old lathe in the corner of my shop. Drill out the stock to fit the thread of the tierod. Set your compound to 3-1/2 deg and plunge your boring bar in using the cross feed, but that's just how I do it. I like the blacksmith idea