Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 Edsel project..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Last month I posted pictures of my "new" Edsel project.
    Hamber "hot74roadrunner" (Harley) posted that he had some Edsel specific parts and only lived about 80 miles from me.
    I just had a 4 day vacation at the Tampa Fl. VA hospital where the Docs put in a stent for my heart so I didn't feel like doing much.Harley said "bring the Edsel up to my house and I'll fix it up for you". So I had it towed up to his place.

Harley is a fairly young guy (46) but seems to have a genuine love for the old cars.He is also very knowledgeable about old iron and is building a 55 Ford gasser with a 347 stroker w/a 3/4 cam and a C6 w/a 3500 stall converter.He has the gasser for sale for $5200 OBO.

I drove up to his house yesterday and about 1/2 mile from his house the alternator on my truck crapped out.Harley had a friend of his drive me to a parts store to get a new alternator and when we got back,Harley had the old alternator out and installed the new one.
    His friend wouldn't take any money for gas and Harley wouldn't take any money for changing the alternator.

Thank You Harley (hot74roadrunner)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. No Edsel lovers out there?

3. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Well you've got at least one here. Nice score, what engine does it have in there? I seem to recall those had some monster engine choices.

4. Thats a good question.The intake seam is under the heads like a 361,it has an air cleaner that looks like it used to be white like the 361,but it has a 2 barrel carburetor like a 332.:confused:

5. rld14

rld14

I like, I like.

Y block? And what are your plans for it?

6. royalbopper

royalbopper
    from Sweden

I like it , had a 59 sold it still miss it!
    4 doors no waiting!

7. fireman 55

fireman 55

I like it i like it alot

8. What a neat old car. Glad you are getting some help with it.

9. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I love the '59 Edsel. In fact, I think Edsel would have been better represented if they had skipped the '58 body style and just introduced the Edsel with the '59 styling.

Good luck with your Edsel!

It sounds like Harley and his friend are some stand up guys.

10. mlagusis

mlagusis

Looks like a good solid start. I have a 58 that I have owned for the past year or so.

Mine has 54,000 miles. Tele-touch with a 361. Getting a little work done at a time. Have come a long way but still have a few more things to do before she is road worthy.

Edsel 5.jpg
    Edsel 6.jpg

11. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Im a E lover,
    nice car, ill be watching..

12. I love Edsel more doors !!

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

They only made two models in '59 and yours is the biggest. Neat cars. Wide. Long. Don't know if it would fit in some smaller, older garages.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

15. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I love Edsels, they look good in two and four doors.

16. Colville

Colville

I like the '59 A good friend of mine just sold a beautiful one. Maybe he'll chime in :)

17. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

There'sa lot you can do with them. Good luck with your project. Here's my 59' Ranger.

396259_3308599076259_1306552372_33293753_1455249118_n.jpg

18. I found a rats nest in the air cleaner.Now I know where most of my front seat bottom went..Of course the rat chewed up some of the wiring and shorted the electrical system.
    The PO( a FNG here) burned up 3 sets of points trying to get it started.He is a great guy and sold the Edsel for less than scrap price which he now kinda regrets..:D But he is glad to see that its getting fixed and not going to Edsel heaven.
    Harley is like a pit bull on a bone and has found 2 places where the wires were shorted out. When he is finished with the car I will post everything that he had to do to it.

Attached Files:

19. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Nice Edsel! Keep it up! Best thing about the 59's is the interchangability of parts with Ford.

20. Personally I like the '58......but they are all great. 60 miles west of where I live is a fella that is the "Edsel King". :cool: He owns more Edsels than anyone.......:eek:.........in the world !!!! :eek: That's a fact. I understand that LeRoy is having some health problems but he also has a son that has been helping him for the last 40 yrs. They operate a hugh salvage yrd. If you're needing parts that would be a good place to start looking. :)

21. Well,Annie has been at Harley's house for 22 days and I'm really "jonesing" to get her back home.
    I'm healed from the stent surgery and really need my project therapy..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  22. greg

greg

Great, another Edsel Build. I am looking forward to it!!

23. Annie is back home..Now trying to remove the starter.Fun & games.Ya-Hoo.

24. fireman 55

fireman 55

Keep up the good work, Im always ready to read more about Edsels

25. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Assuming that the engine is original, if it has a two barrel car it should be a 332. Also if you are keeping the stock brakes, the front brake shoes and hardware are the same as a 1970 full size Ford with the 2.5 inch shoes. Just got done doing this on my 59 today.

26. Thanks Jeff,that's good information to have.According to the vin(B) it is a 332.
    I tried to turn the engine by hand and it wouldn't budge.After removing the starter I tried to turn it and it is free.
    I took the starter to Ropps Electrical in New Smyrna Beach for a rebuild.This guy was recommended by one of the guys at my local NAPA.
    I asked about the inability to turn the engine over by hand with the starter installed & was told that sometimes these starters will stay in the "out" position until the car starts,then centrifugal force makes it return to the proper position..So turning the engine over by hand w/said starter engaged is impossible.
    This is going to be a low budget build(like all of my projects)Its going to have crappy,old looking paint and some pitted parts here and there.It will never be a show car but it definitely will be different.
    .I am trying to come up with the needed equipment to make her into a Police cruiser.
    I have a very old 8 battery flashlight,a blackjack and my badge left over from my days on the force. I am buying an old "bubblegum machine" and a period correct radio from a member here but still need a whip antenna and some other doo-dads.

Attached Files:

27. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I like but sure as hell would'nt want to be named EDSEL.
    B.B.

28. Well the starter is still at the rebuild shop so today I'm going to drain the oil/transmission fluid/marvel mystery oil concoction that the po put in to free the engine and install new oil & filter.
    Already too darn hot to do much.

29. eastwildlife

eastwildlife

Good to hear another being saved, keep us updated.

30. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Looks like a nice solid score. Keep us updated!