Register now to get rid of these ads!

s10 rear question.. < forgetful new guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deluxe38, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ok guys just moved the chev to a new garage and decided today would be a good day to tear into the 9'' that was already in it.. came apart easy only to find this :eek:
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/afardone/?action=view&current=rear.jpg
    [​IMG]

that being what it is, i want to just go to the junk yard and pull something of a decent width, just cruiser so i dont need a posi or monster gear..

any help would be appreciated, search doesnt work to well.. kept just find cars for sale..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Year, make and model car?

3. sorry.. 1938 chevy sedan

4. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

S 10 rear ends are approx. 55/56" wide (with drum brakes) from drum bolt surface to drum bolt surface. They come with a 4 3/4 (Chevy bolt pattern). They hold up pretty well with a small block, if you don't get too tough on them. Most S 10's run O.D.trans so the gears quit often run 3.42 or 3.72 gears. I believe there is a spec. code that your wrecking yard can use to tell you what ratio it is. Another non 9" Ford possibility is the 10/12 bolt chevies, in last generation rear wheel drive Monte Carlo, Olds Cutlass, Pontiac Grand Prix, etc. They are narrow enough for your 38. From the looks of your axle shaft, I'm afraid some one really drove the car hard and put it away wet-----Way to many times. Hate to think of what your 9" carrier looks like. BILL RINALDI

5. Vergil

Vergil

I am running an S10 rear end in my '37 Chevy. Forget the year but have to use very little back spacing on the rims due to the tire will rub but I like the deep outside look anyway.

Vergil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The S10 4x4 drum rear is 58", a full 2" wider than the 2wd. version, and is still 5-on-4-3/4". We are about to put one in a '37 Chevy, next week.

That axle looks like a 28-spline axle was put in a 31 spline side gear, or the rear was badly warped by welding. Your 9" in likely rebuild-able, if it was just the spline/side gear issue. Pull the other shaft and count the splines. Post what you find.

7. thanks fgor the input guys, ohh and by the way that rear was poorly narrowed by p.o for mock up so i found out, he just hacked the axel, and ground down the end to fit back in the center.

8. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

s-10 blazer in my 53, stock 3.73 gears with open diff

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I would call one of the 9 inch Ford axle guys ( Currie ... Moser ... ect ) and BUY the correct length axle.
    Or look up in the Hollander and find a stock axle shaft that will work.

Screw S10 rear ends :eek:

10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

looks like you should start over. The center section is probably full of metal shavings and chunks. If you want to replace it with another 9", look for a first generation mustang or Cougar. I think they are close to the same width as the S10?

11. R Pope

R Pope

Well, if the PO ground the axle like that, there's no reason to think a right-length axle won't get you on the road. What does the other axle look like? I wouldn't even consider an S10 axle to replace a 9"!

12. went to the yard and got a rear out of a 95 blazer 2wd with drums, came with wheels too. i figured that 9 inch was junk/for mock up/ roll around.. im still going to pull apart the 9 and see whats up thanks guys.:cool:

13. About 1000 times easier to find a S10 of any stripe than a first-gen Mustang or Cougar in a junkyard these days. One thing about Chevys is they did a lot of things the same for a long time; the 4x4 rear should be a good fit.

14. yeah, i pulled up to my buddy's yard had him check if he already had any s10 rears out and he had the kid put one right in the back of my volvo wagon... 100 bucks and 10 minutes... ill take that.. and as far as replacing a 9 with the s10 unit, im just looking to cruise it not drag race, thats what my vw is for