Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. It is the only picture showing my 64 that I have on my photo bucket account.:eek: Besides, my stuff is junk compared to yours, Ken's and a alot of others on here.

2. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Well, I'm jealous. I would love to have "junk" like that!!! :)

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Larry;it is NOT junk!!! How is the new engine going? ROY.

4. I gave up on the Boss 351 after cracking the number one cylinder. I am now going with the 427. I am dropping off the block on Monday to get it checked out before I order a stroker kit. IF everything looks good going with a 482. Probably won't have everything together till next spring.

5. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Whie researching 64CometCyclones Hawaiian Comet I came across the trans code 6 on his Data Plate.For awhile it through me for a loop.But with his help I have determined that trans code 6 is a MOM or Merc-O-Matic.Now what the heck is a Merc-O-Matic???:confused:Also after digging through publications and going to the Comet East website,I discovered that the 64 Cyclone model was announced on January 17,1964.But reference to it in the Mercury data sheets isn't until April 1964.I hope that this clears up any confusion.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  6. 65COMET

65COMET

I believe it is/was the Mercury version of the Ford-O-Matic,two speed automatic. ROY.

7. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Steve;
    A Merc-O-Matic is the same automatic Trans that they in a Ford, but they called it Cruise-O-Matic. They were made up until 1965 then in 1966 the C-6 Trans came out, the problem with the early C-6 it didn't come with the R servo until 1968 with the CJ you can't use the older Trans Case w/a R servo Of course Me I am talking about a FE Trans Case. The Guy that knows these Auto Trans is Dennis K. He worked at Ford Trans Engineering.~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Larry,Super cool "junk" you have there I'd say!
    Myron_

9. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

10. Is this one yours? Nice looking Comet, not a great photo though. Any of you Michigan guys going to Woodward or another event coming up, let me know. I need to meet some of you.:D

[​IMG]

11. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

Anyone with info on the original 15 B/FX 1965 Comets... I am trying to track down info on my Brothers Old B/fx Comet. Anyone know how many were raced in and around Michigan?My Brother and a partner had one in the late 60's to early 70's. Rangoon Red,Glass front and doors, lexan windshield and side glass. Door disclaimer tag etc. I was told the guy he sold it to painted it White. Anyone know any names of Racers who had one of the '65s(Names). I was told the Doug Nash Car ended up in Cleveland stripped of its parts. Any others raced around Michigan? Thanks for any info... If I cannot find the name of the original owner of that Comet my Brother Raced, I would like to Reproduce the Nash '65 Thanks, Steve

12. Did he get Tom Coward's old car? If so it has been restored and last I heard in Wisconsin. Current owner said he bought it from a guy in Detroit.
    [​IMG]

13. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

We are between Battle Creek and Marshall. I think I may know who owns it now(Kalamazoo area),but have not confirmed yet.Also the Comet in the pic has a steel front bumper,not glass. Thanks for the reply

14. My wife has family in Kalamazoo. I also know a guy over there, Dave Stump, that has a Thunderbolt and seems to know alot of the old cars in the area. I will give him a call later to see if he knows about it.

15. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

16. 65COMET

65COMET

That 64 would be a good candidate to rebuild!!! ROY.

17. Mummert

Mummert

Some really nice pis up latley. What was the common aluminum front wheel used back in the day. It looks like a modern day rocket wheel but the offset appears to be different.
    They were used quite a bit tbolts as well.
    Haven't had much luck finding out what they were.

18. Mummert

Mummert

To be more specific post 5938 sox Martin car.

19. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

It went for $2755. I hope someone here got it.

20. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Anybody know where to get some L60X14 tires?The Goodyear Polyglas on the Cyclone need to be replaced and I want to stay with the 14" wheels that are on it now...

21. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Here's the Doug Nash Cyclone...

Attached Files:

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;the Doug Nash Comet never looked that nice!!! Nicely done!!!!Coker might be the only place to get a L60X14!! ROY.

23. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Steve; that's a nice looking Doug Nash 65 BFX Comet Cyclome Clone. Doug's BFX was Red inside out, there was never a roll cage in that car plus like it was said, Doug's BFX never Looked that good! Those cars were Race Cars back then not Show cars! I seen the car many times at Detroit Dragway and Mylian Dragway. The Fiberglas parts were saved and the Body was Scraped. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

24. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

We were not trying to build a perfect replica,but a decent representation of it and took some artistic liberties..The owners' research said that the car was originally black and then painted red..I am not sure if that is correct,but they liked it in black so it remains ..I had to add the rollbar for safety reasons..This is the same Cyclone I posted pictures of before,just got it lettered last week..

Does anyone know the story behind the cartoon character on the fender of Doug Nash' 65 Cyclone??I've been trying to figure out what the significance is..It looks like a football player with his thumb on the "Cotton Picker" Hemi wagon,driven by David Pearson..Tried to find Doug himself to ask but have been unable to locate him..I'm assuming he has not passed away?

FYI,We went to the finals in N/SS at Englishtown on Sunday!

Attached Files:

25. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Congrats on making the finals at Englishtown, a great accomplishment. Your car looks good and must work good too!! Thanks for the posting and update....Al

HOOSIER Quick Time Drag DOT 8.5 tread width and just over 26 tall which is close to a L 60 14 they use 275/55/14 for size...

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Fordgasser1;I watched a video of your Comet running against a Pontiac,car looked and sounded great!!! Congratulations on making the finals!!!!! ROY.

27. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks!..The car does work well..Although I was very skeptical if the B/FX traction bars would be effective..The car hooks hard and goes straight..

28. Mummert

Mummert

After some digging those wheels were made by " Rader." The company eventually was partially owned by mickey Thompson.

29. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Steve; Running at the dragstrip is great to see Comers out there again. What was your ET's and MPH, are you running a 289ci or bigger? I haven't ran in the BFX in years the last time it ran a 11.25 with 4 webers. Now about that little man on the front fender that has his thum on Dodge Station Wagon that said Hemi Wagon. That Car BFX with a destroked 426 Hemi to 383ci I think, that was years ago. That Wagon ran the Detroit area in BFX that compleat year. That Hemi sounded Mean. About Nash Black/Red Comet I have to do some picture diging! ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

30. Muttley

Muttley