Register now to get rid of these ads!

later 292 w/ 4 speed into 48 chevy fleetmaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, May 18, 2012.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

hi all - i recently came upon a 72 c10 that i can use the rear axle in as a swap for my 63 c10 to get better gears and 5 lug wheels. i really just wanted the axle but he is willing to sell the entire frame from radiator back including a 292 I6 with a floor shift 4 speed trans. i have a 48 chevy fleetmaster that i was considering putting a T5 behind the 216 over the winter.

what i am wondering is what kind of trans this is in the 72 c10? as far as i know everything is stock. he said its a 4 speed. i would assume since it is in a pickup that its a 3 speed with a granny gear? is this correct? id also assume that if the 4 speed in the truck can move the truck down the road then theoretically i could us ethe 292/trans in my 48 (i know i need motor mounts, open driveline etc). he has the starter, all wiring etc (i would have to do something with the 48's 6v system). or is simply adding a T5 behind the 216 a better idea overall? i thought the 292 is a better engine with better oiling system so thats why i am considering this.

i guess i am just trying to sort if the whole thing is worth the asking price of $500. i will def use the rear end and figured i could sell the front end parts to someone here doing a disk swap on an older truck at a a fair price to help them get going. is the 292 a bunk engine? again this will go in a 2 door 48 fleetmaster - not looking to go 100mph lol.

thanks all
    - jason

2. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Should be an SM-465 truck 4 speed with granny low if stock. It is a great transmission. (for a truck)

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. neverwinter

neverwinter

oof just looked up the gear ratios on that trans and i think id be in worse shape lol! looks like i may just try and get the rear axle then. or see if he will negotiate and possibly sell off the trans. thanks for the help!

4. grab the whole thing !!! you can sell the trans...those 292s are rare...my friend had a 292 w/TH350 and 4:56 gears and could whoop ass around town with it...you'll regret letting this great six shooter slip away from you....your 48 will be killer with this engine!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.

5. neverwinter

neverwinter

well i just scored a t5 for 100 complete so looks like ill grab this setup too and use the 292 with the t5 in the 48 and the rear axle in the truck. anyone need a 275 pound 4 speed granny gear lol?

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. You are going to have to address the open drive conversion anyway to go T5.
    Sounds like you got a winner on the cheap!
    in for a build thread, I love the 40's Chevrolets.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. neverwinter

neverwinter

yeah i just tried topping off the knee action shocks and the car still floats insane. can literally push it down with almost no resistance and she just bounces a couple more times due to inertia. ungood lol. so now i need to determine where to go with this thing.

new front end rebuild kit = 400
    disk kit (not mandated but would be nice) - 450
    rebuilt shocks = 400 pair
    that alone is 1250 to rebuild a 70 year old system

or go M2 for 1675 bolt on inc shipping. i know it kills originality but from a cash standpoint that just makes more sense. is there anything i can do before making this purchase to see if i overlooked something? i mean the car literally floats all over. i dont have the skills to do a frame graft or front end nova swap. limited to mostly bolt on stuff with some small fab.

oh man what did i get myself into lol

8. or maybe Jag. Ive seen complete XJ's go for $700.
    Plenty of threads on that, here on the HAMB.

On the levers:
    Try replacing the oil with 20wt and a bit of Castrol GT brake fluid.
    Acts as seal swell, worked well on armstrongs that my MGB had for years.

9. neverwinter

neverwinter

well just spent an hour trying to fill the shocks. i couldnt get the roll pin or whatever that is that is between the zirk fitfings keping the shock arm attached to the spindle so i just kept filling the shock then bouncing on 50 reps at a time. repeat as needed. the driver side def lost some of the BOING BOING but not all. i went to the pass side and within 10 pushes it was much better. so the good news is i may have 1 good shock lol the bad news is id still prob want to have both sides rebuilt. argh i REALLY didnt want to drop 1600 on a M2 kit - well not so much no wanting to as not having the cash to - but seems si9lly to replace all old stuff with new old stuff to save 300 over the m2 kit. course doing it once would mean never needing to do it again. i don need the disk conversion but id love to get rid of the 6 lugs. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    plus i still havent addressed the way wacked steering either. thing pulls instantly to the right - not sure if the worm gear adj will fix that?

10. believe it or not...I already have an older SM420 granny low 4speed box...It's bolted to a ...get this...a 1967 Chevy2 Four cylinder 153 cu. in. banger....don't know what it's going into, but it's a great alternative drive train...maybe a slammed Jeep CJ w/2wd. by the way, you'll never break that SM465...not even with a big block !!.....why don't you dump the torque tube rear ???...put in an S-10 rear and be done with it...should fit right in.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. neverwinter

neverwinter

thats the plan mschiffel - but also need to budget for the front end fixes. either rebuild or go M2.

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

go find a 51-54 chevy pass. car front end. with a little work it'll bolt in and you can get a disc kit too.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

I like the 292 in my '63 ChevyII... has plenty of torque.

14. mxknpwr

mxknpwr

I would like to see pictures if you still have the 48 .I have a 48 cabriolet and want to know all changes you and issue you had installing the292 please advise

15. The SM420 is big with the rock crawlers, due to the really low 1st gear. The SM465 is nothing to sneeze at either. A lot of that transmission is lower to the ground than regular modern 4-speeds. It might work out in a '48 Chevy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Great set-up. I have a 292 in my 47 Chevy, with a T-5 and a Monte SS rear with 3.73's. Not on the road yet, but I love the look and sound of the hot rodded straight six. Real duals (Stovebolt Eng.) a Clifford 2 x 4 intake, with Holley-Weber 2 bbls, and some finned alum dress up. Natural gas pistons (raise the compression ratio), and a mild cam.

volvobrynk and belair like this.