Register now to get rid of these ads!

parts washer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zapato, Jul 26, 2012.

1. was given a homebuilt parts washer. really nice set-up dual sink on wheel,lid etc..... wondering what cleaner are you guys using ? would prefer something non-flammable if possible if there's such a thing, and not strong smelling to keep everyone happy.

2. Window Licker

Window Licker

i doubt you'll find much thats non flammable that is any good.

we use mineral spirits in ours, works well. you can buy it at most hardware stores

3. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

I use Varsol, which is much like diesel/naptha

4. Odorless mineral spirits would probably be your best bet.The flammability is quite low as I recall.I don't think you'll find any petroleum based solvent that isn't somewhat flammable.Price around here for odorless is about $14 a gallon whereas regular spirits are about $8.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

mineral spirits. Mineral spirits doesn't stink as bad as some of the parts cleaning solvents and cheaper.

6. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Agreed, dead minerals work

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'd also go with mineral spirits, but if you're concerned with odor/flammability/disposal you might do OK with a strong Purple Power/Dawn mixture. Every once in a while the local auto parts store runs a "buy one get one" on the large containers (I think it's a gallon?) of Purple Power concentrate. Awesome stuff, especially undiluted.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I use regular solvent, last time I bought it paid $8.90 a gallon...8 gallons added right up!
    I want to try something less 'aggressive', I wear large neoprene gloves, but some gets on the skin...an hour later, it is tingly and irritated.

This stuff is said to be 'accumulative'... when I was an apprentice in '56, we washed parts bare-hands in gasoline, rinsed with water...I'm still alive...wouldn't use gas any more. LOL

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Although evaporation rate and oily residue left behind will vary between products and grades of these products; mineral spirits, Stoddard solvent, Solvasol, Varsol, Naptha, and traditional oil paint thinner are all from the same basic family.

Prolonged exposure to mineral spirits is hard on the skin, but so long as you don't breath a LOT of heavily concentrated vapor it's not a health hazard.

Although there may be some overlap depending on grade, the order of quality is : Naptha, Mineral spirits/Stoddard solvent/Solvasol, Varsol, paint thinner. I use a good grade of mineral spirits. Depending on what you are doing a lower grade of mineral spirits, or something a little lower on the ladder might save you a little money.