Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Gavin's 1941 Special Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gavin_Ivey, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Update? For us '41 folks!

2. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

What he said...

3. farmer12

farmer12

updates?

4. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Update!! Probably not quite what you were expecting, but I'm giving a bunch of excuses as to why I haven't made any progress. First, I got burnt out. Then, it got too damn hot outside. That lead to me being lazy. Now, I have a motorcycle that has just been robbing all of my time. I just don't want to get off of this thing!! My first motorcycle ever, now I wonder why I never bought one in the past. I plan to get back on the '41 this winter when it's too cold to ride. That is, if I don't make more excuses haha. In the meantime, here are a few pics of my 2003 Road King;

(Missing pictures....)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  5. Voh

Voh

We must be wired half the same. The first road bike I owned was a 2000 Road King. I run the hell out of it, criss-cross this country. Traded it for a 2008 street guide and missed it after the first week!

Now hit that '41 again, I need more picture directions for mine.

VOH

6. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Haha, sounds like it! I piddled with the 41 a couple of nights ago. Having to fab up some pieces to go in the front lower corner of the door jamb and it's kicking my ass. Being lazy combined with OCD doesn't help one bit either. I'll get some pics up when I make some progress.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Great looking bike btw. Good to hear you've started on the 41 again though, that's going to be one awesome car.

8. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks farmer! I am well overdue to get back to work on this thing haha.

9. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

The bike looks great, but we need to see more of the car.

10. Do yourself a favor if you're serious about your project and do something on it every day. Even if you spend 2 minutes polishing the headlight. Otherwise, it's easy to let a stalled project turn into a failed project.

BTW....I have a whole stack of those t-shirts and another one in the making. In fact, as soon as I stop preaching here, I'm going out and do a headlight polish on mine.

Thanks for the motivation...

Oh yea, nice bike!

11. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks! Got some pics coming up now. Finally got back on it.

12. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Great advice! I was doing that same thing when I first got started. Now I have so much big stuff to do that two minute projects just aren't feasible, and all the little stuff is in boxes in a storage building until I get to it. But you're right, it is easy to lose momentum if you don't touch it at least everyday!

13. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Tried to upload pics from work but it says "security token is missing". I'll upload from the house when I get a chance.

14. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Well, it's time to get back on the 41. It's been a few years but it hasn't been eating any meals. I do have to say one thing, OSPHO is amazing at preventing the bare metal from flashing over. It's been that way for as long as this thread has been started and still looks great.

I did buy a 1961 Econoline pickup back in January and got way deeper into that than I had anticipated at this point. I won't get into details on it, but if you are interested in it, click here: http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t41231-1961-e-pup-work-in-progress-aka-snuffleupagus

I did buy a house with a bigger garage, and proceeded to fill it up as well haha. Here's the family:
    [​IMG]

I finally ordered the driver side patch panels. Installing them is the next step.
    20141102_200330.jpg

I also ordered a parallel 4 link and watts link from throbros.com aka suicidedoors.com, mustang II front suspension from fulltiltstreetrods.com, an LS1 (5.3) from a good friend, and several other goodies. Bought a HF english wheel (I know some purists are gonna hate that), and some other tools necessary for chopping the top. Needless to say, I got my hands full. I'll try to keep updating as I make progress.

15. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

I'm also gonna work on fixing the missing pictures on my previous posts. Some of the pics are missing from the gallery though.

16. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Oh yeah, I have new inspiration; Tomi Kangas' 41. Screenshot_2014-10-27-08-45-14.png

17. Voh

Voh

Glad to see you getting back on it. I finally got the drivers side buttoned up, and have the patch panels for the passenger side. Get on it!!
    VOH

18. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks man!! Glad to see you've made some progress too! I'll check out your thread now.

19. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

The future power plant. For now, it'll sit and collect some dust while the patch panels are installed.

Attached Files:

20. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

Nice inspiration!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Started working on the step pad and outer rocker.

unnamed (10).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (6).jpg unnamed (7).jpg

Don't worry, I'll get the bottom gap right when I fit in the other patches.

Attached Files:

22. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Finally got the Maxjax lift home and installed! I did it alone and have about 6 hours in it from unpacking to raising a vehicle. It's perfect for my low ceilings and I can unbolt it and move it out of my way when I don't need it. I'm going to install more anchors on the other side of the shop so I can just turn one post around, move the other post and have use on both sides of the shop.

I would not have been able to use the hoist to remove this big ol thing from the Econoline, so I spent the 20 bucks for the truck and had it off in 5 minutes.
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg

Please ignore the messy shop haha.
    unnamed (3).jpg

23. Voh

Voh

Lookin good! that lift is awesome...I need to look into one. I messed around on mine lastnight, and quickly realized how rough my fenders are. haven't looked at them in a while and had the drivers side out trying to line up the back tail pan.

Is that lift sold right from MaxJax or someone else?

24. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Good luck with that! I helped a friend put a tail pan in his 49 fleetline. Looks like it turned out pretty good considering he was in such a rush. Take a little time and you'll get it done!

The lift is sold by Dannmar and there are several places that sell them. I bought mine on homedepot.com because the price was in line with everyone else, free shipping to the store and no sales tax. Everyone else would charge a $135 lift gate fee or some delivery fee. It's heavy (820 lbs).

25. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Most of the front suspension came in today from Full Tilt Street Rods.

1416010492057.jpg

26. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Even though I'm not quite ready for wheels and tires, I've been on the hunt. I really love the spokes that are on Tomi's 41, but I don't like the $1,500 price tag. So, I decided to go with steelies and hubcaps. I could have waited until a much later date to buy the caps (since I don't even have wheels and tires yet) but I saw these on ebay for a '57 Lincoln and had an immediate infatuation. They are super clean and I just couldn't resist the urge to hit buy it now! Now if I can score some cheap 5 lug steelies.....

$_57.JPG $_57 (9).JPG

27. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Got the lower rear quarter panel fitted and tacked. Where metal makes a 90 degree bend toward the underside of the car, the lower front cowl and the lower rear quarter have more rounded bends than the rocker panel. Apparently hotrodssheetmetal.com is using a new supplier for the rocker panels or EMS is stamping with a new tool and making sharper corners and not applying an aluminized coating. When I did the passenger side a few years ago, all the bends were pretty much identical. Nothing detrimental but it will leave me with more bodywork to make everything match.

IMG_20141117_182508.jpg

28. gatz

gatz

I have owned (2) 56 Lincolns which use the same caps as the 57.
    I can tell you from experience that certain wheels do not hold the caps very well.

On the way to a car show, the front passenger side cap came off once when going down a busy four lane street.

I had to quickly turn off to a side street, parked the Lincoln and ran back to get it........just in time to see a large service truck smack it flat. I think the guy saw it, too.
    Was able to find a replacement on ebay. After numerous go-arounds with a soft hammer and screwdriver, the hubcap still did not seat firmly; the rim just kept popping back out. Tried duct tape, and that ended up being a mess.
    In a fit of desperation, I change the wheel/tire for the spare. No problems after. ...so I don't know what made that one wheel different, but it sure was.

Might keep that in mind when purchasing your wheels.

BTW, great metal skills......car is gonna have "the look" when you're done.

29. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thank you for the advice and the compiment! The main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on wheels yet is because of not being sure what to buy. I didn't see much positive feedback about wheel vintiques on here but I did see Pete Paulsen's name referred to a good bit, so I'm going to call him Monday.

30. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Got the front lower cowl fitted it last night. I forgot how much I had to modify the passenger side patch panel to make it fit. I guess I'll find out just how good or bad of a job I did once I start block sanding the car haha.

1416677317850.jpg