Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I find traditional style 6 inch air cleaners?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louder50, Jul 25, 2012.

1. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

A big thanks to the guys at Edelbrock for their ingenious 6 7/16" carb spacing on their dual quads.....thanks Edelbrock. Does anyone have any idea where you can find good looking 6" air cleaners that aren't either Mr. Chrome or Billet street rod stuff?? There are lots of cool 6 1/2" air cleraners but they won't fit and I don't want the big oval milled street rod one like Edelbrock tries to make you buy for $200. Any leads much appreciated.

2. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

Subscribed.

I was just looking at the dual quad intakes for vortec heads and noticed there's not much out there for air cleaner choices.

3. Lockjaw

Lockjaw

these are by wolk design (not shure of spelling) had the sme problem with spacing

Attached Files:

4. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

Lockjaw those are really cool and exactly what I am looking for. However..they are 6 1/2" in diameter. The center to center spacing on the Edelbrock c-26's are 6 7/16 so a 6 1/2" wont fit. Edelbrock did this intentionally so people would just give in and buy their dual quad air cleaner. I need something in the 6" to 6 1/4" neighborhood. I wish ANYBODY else had a dual quad, dual plane, low rise manifold on the market. I wouldn't even be thinking about an Edelbrock but it appears they currently have that market cornered unfortunately.

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

It would be cool to solve the problem like this, lol!

Attached Files:

6. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

7. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

quick question, what carbs are you running on your intake? Did you stick with the edelbrock/carter carbs or maybe mount some Holley carbs sideways (is this even possible on their intake)?

8. OCIE

OCIE
    from TRINITY,TX

9. lawman

lawman

Ran into the same problem. I made my own and with louvers.

Attached Files:

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

how big are '57 vette??? Or the cal custom funnel ones??

11. I've done this several times. Mostly on O/T cars I couldn't get the right set up for. I even built tops and bottoms for a TR6 project once, polished them up, and they were killer. Not that hard to do, if you have any kind of metal skills at all. Cereal boxes make nice patterns. I used .050 T6 aluminum, and made a tube that went on the center bolt so I wouldn't cave in the air cleaner every time I tightened it down. Easy.

12. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

This is the closest I have found so far. I am not sure how traditional they are but I think they look like they belong on a traditional hot rod.

I saw an ad for a outfit in the last issue of hot rod deluxe or hot rod magazine I cant remember which that had some cast air cleaners that would fit 6 7/16th carbs, but it might have been the guys I already linked to?

I would really like to find some spark arrestors like the ones they make for the Rochester’s or Stromberg’s but with 5 inch bases.

http://www.socalsac.com/parts-accessories/twin-4-barrel-air-cleaner

13. TimberwolfFXDL

TimberwolfFXDL

$130 EACH? I think I'll make my own :)

14. spooler41

spooler41

Check out the Speedway catalog, I'm sure you will find some in there.

................... Jack

15. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

One call to our own Dennis at O'Brien Truckers will solve your problem. He is a super guy to deal with. And an added bonus is that he is also an Alliance Vendor, which means a nice discount.

16. I started making my own air cleaners years ago. Why not make someting along the lines of the twin carb hats shown on post #5 only taller so the sir has a chance to straighten out before it goes into the air horn and a round element out to the side like the old Studebaker air cleaners. You couls run one out each side of the engine for clearance then use a larger 10" or so for more air flow.

Just a thought.

17. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

These are vintage Ed Cholakian air cleaners from the 60's. They were made to fit the 6-7/16's Edelbrock dual quads.

Search for "EC North Hollywood" air cleaners. That's the sticker on the original ones & that's how I found mine. They take a Napa Gold air filter.

Attached Files:

• 1d.jpg
      1d.jpg
      File size:
      148.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1b.jpg
      1b.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It really is a problem finding decent air cleaners for a 2 x 4 setup. The one on the sbf in my 27 is even tighter spaced than the similar Chevy intakes and I had to settle for street rod chrome ones. They aren't horrible but not what I would have liked.

I originally wanted frog mouth Cal Custom ones but finding decent used ones at a reasonable price is nearly impossible. I have looked at all the frog mouth ones currently being made and they just are not the same for some reason as the originals. So, I will use these until I score the ones I reallly want.

Don

[​IMG]

19. Dapostman

Dapostman

I made my own, from stainless kitchen containers, about $16 dollars apiece.

20. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You can install the Offy sideways kit, but since the Edelbrock dual quad intakes are "dual plane" manifolds, I don't think it would run so good

21. gwarren007

gwarren007

22. Thanks Dick.

Here's the link to mine which, drum roll, just happen to be 6 7/16" in diameter:rolleyes:

Designed to fit, no offset bases needed, 100% made in the USA and if you're supporting the HAMB by being a HAMB Alliance Member you get your 10% off because we're an original HAMB Alliance Vendor.

http://www.obrientruckers.com/ecom/product/239/2403/

Oh, and BTW, we have two different heights of lifetime cotton gauze washable elements to choose from (made in the USA too) and also five different bases to choose from (for 2 5/16, 2 5/8, 3 1/8, 4 7/32 and 5 1/8 inch carb necks.)

Questions?

Happy Truckin',

Dennis

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My favorite dual quad hotrod air cleaners of all time. Made with flat sides strictly for dual quad setups.