Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Guy, New Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niowa, Jul 24, 2012.

1. niowa

niowa

Hello everyone. I introduced myself awhile back and thought I would post here to get some ideas and resources. I brought home, what I think is a 39 d11 four door. Would like to see others similar cars and what modifications I should make. Where else I might find good info on these cars.

Thanks
    Nate

Attached Files:

2. welcome from plum island mass

3. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Hola! from garner nc

4. first thing I can think of is if you still have it on cement blocks, get it put on something safe before even thinking of climbing under it. Those things can come apart at the worst of times. Good luck on the project and welcome!!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

first, go back and put more info in your Public Profile here. hope that this is not your first project and have $$ ready to buy stuff.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Would make a cool lowrider bomb, decked out with accessories, teardrop skirts, Fulton visor, artillery wheels, real low. I have a '40 Chrysler, similar car.

7. niowa

niowa

Its up on blocks, because it came with no wheels. I am working on getting things loose and finding wheels to make it a roller. First car project, built a Harley pretty much ground up.

8. power wagon

power wagon

welcome from the back woods of maine

9. What he's saying is that you have it on CEMENT blocks. I will state it again. They're not safe. They've been known to crumble and collapse under the weight. It happens all the time. Just put the car on something else before you climb under it, for your own safety.

Cool looking car. Lots of potential. Good luck with it.

10. niowa

niowa

Could someone help me with wheel measurements? I found that i need 5x4.5 pattern. What about center bore and wheel width? Hopeing to go to local yard to get some temporary wheels.

Thanks

11. sbin

sbin

Buy good jack stands

if that is your first project good luck!

12. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Other than the small bolt pattern A body wheels, FWD, and the 80's up truck wheels, any Mopar wheel should fit.

Get rid of those cement blocks!

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

and ford cars.well most ive run into anyway.

14. Good luck on your build. Has great potential.

15. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Yep, the Mopars won't fit the Fords though if I remember right, the center hole is smaller I think. AMC's should work too.

16. niowa

niowa

Ok, I'll look for some ford wheels then. Thanks for the help.

17. I was going to say the same thing.

Don't try and make it what it is not, drop it and cruse it. Make sure you get a good copy of La Bomba to play when you are cruising.

Gawd I love that song, wonder what that says about me. Hmmmmmmn

Oh don't forget to paint it. Maybe candy red with some gold flipflop. or midnight in the cyprus swamp black. Deeep Deeep paint, like Linda lovelace deep paint.

18. Squablow

Squablow

The Ford wheels have too small of a center bore hole, they aren't going to fit.

Your original drums also have a locating pin on them which will have to be ground off if you put more modern wheels on it.

Ideally, if you want to run 15" steel rims on it, you want 49-56 Mopar wheels, they'll bolt on and have the locating pin holes.

If your local junkyard doesn't have stuff that old, look for a 70's full size Chrysler, they had a nice looking 15x6 wheel with the right bolt pattern and center bore hole for your car.

If you're only looking for rollers, temporary "space saver" spares from front wheel driver bigger GM cars of the late 80's and 90's also have the right pattern (like Bonneville, Grand Prix, Cutlass, ect) and they're real skinny and easy to roll, which is a plus.

19. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I think you're right, it's been so long since I tried swapping wheels I forget which way it works.

20. niowa

niowa

Thanks for the help Squablow.