Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weber carbs & Warneford air filters.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imanut, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imanut

imanut

I'm looking for some advice from someone with more experience than I have....

My uncle built this Model A in the early 70's. When i was younger it was the holy grail of hot rods for me. He passed away in 2000 and it sat in his barn until recently. I was able to buy it from the estate. I have slowly going through it to clean it up. It is a steel body with glass front fenders. It has a real healthy 454 with 4 Weber carbs on an old Moon intake.

Does anyone know of a good resource in the New England area that I can trust to go through the carbs? I have no issues doing any mechanical work, I personally just havent had to setup & sync 4 Webers & vacuum lines. I know my uncle had one catch on fire years ago...just looking to prevent that in the future.

Also they are running Warneford Designs air filters. Basically a oil / foam airfilter sandwiched between to metal screens. Problem is that the foam is falling apart. I have searched the web and not had any luck finding direct replacement foam. Anyone have suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, imanut;

Try Jim Inglese. He's in that general area, or was. That man knows his way around 'bout any Weber ever concocted, & can & will, make those things seriously chirp. In the SAAC mags, his ads went something to the effect of; " Will flatten your !*($%&@* eyeballs!". :D . ( & is one seriously funny guy.). He was tied up heavily w/the Shelby American Automobile Club, maybe still is. He sold his Weber carb business to Total Performance, & since they went belly-up, either got it back, or redid it.

Try here: http://www.jiminglese.com

HTH.

Marcus...

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  4. Those Warnerford aircleaners were a variation/renaming of the original design by Lynx Engineering here in Oz, they were a low restriction aircleaner that were very popular in the 80/90's but the filter foam DOES fall apart.......there are a lot of modern variations around now and guys like Jim Inglesse would be the people to get the carbs checked out by.......sounds like a neat car.......andyd

5. imanut

imanut

Thanks for the direction guys. I'll track down Inglese to see what he can do to help out.

...and NRGWIZARD you're right. My uncle took me for a ride in this car when i was 16 or 17.... flatten your eyeballs is right... when it is up on the wheelie bars, the ability to focus and even move your head become a very difficult thing to do.

6. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

not that complicated, get the weber tech manual and a uni-syn tool from cb performance. the will also have any parts you might need.

7. Those are probably 48IDA webers. The VW guys run them. Get a HOT VW magazine and check out the advertisers to see what kind of air cleaners are available.

8. Warneford air filters were made in the 70's. Have several NOS filters, and foam is crumbling as well. I would buy some foam and cut to fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.