Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Advice with chopping, channeling, and z'ed frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Finster5292, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Finster5292

Finster5292
    from California

I recently bought a 31' Model A, and i want to be able to have the body sit on the floor. I understand that im going to have to channel it and i want to use a triangulated 4-link with air ride in the back (planning on using the welder series inc unless you guys know of something better). Part of my question is will i need to double z the frame or will this help get it on the ground a little easier? Im using the front part of a Model a frame and then 2x4 tubing to the back. What are your opinions on that. If i do this i would have to channel at least four inches so the body is level with the bottom of the frame, right? Is there anyone out there with this kind of set up.

Im going to be using a 396 engine that i have laying around am i going to have to take any special considerations for this. Im using this cause im kind of balling on a budget here. Probably do something different later.

If you guys can help me figure things out it would be greatly appreciated, maybe post some pictures of things you guys have done and some pointers or your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

2. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why don't you build a hot rod out of it?

4. The search tool is your friend.

5. deto

deto

sell the car to somebody else for the car's sake...

6. Finster5292

Finster5292
    from California

Well i think im going to go the rat rod route i just lik it better i dont like having to worry about chipping paint and wantng to pull my hair out. I understand the search is my friend but ive looked forever and couldnt find what i was looking for. i didnt specify but i only bought the body.

7. You won't find rat rod shit here. What you will find here is traditional hot rods.

8. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

FYI: This is NOT a rat rod site. . .Just saying

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What they both^^^ said....

10. Try ruffrodders.com or killbillet.com , you will get more sympathy over there.

11. Finster5292

Finster5292
    from California

Man no love geez so im in the wrong place im guessing. What do you mean sell it to someone else? This cars luck i saved it from getting destroyed. I dont understand why everyone hates on these damn things, shit im just trying to get some simple questions asked. You started somewhere didnt you deto?

12. Finster5292

Finster5292
    from California

thank you rockabillybassman much appreciated

13. F&J

F&J

Not everyone does, they are popular with those who like the style. The problem is, that the owner of this site prefers old style rods and customs. It's his house, so his rules.

14. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Finster...there are so many folks on here that has forgotten more knowledge than half of NASA has ever retained to start with. You will get a whole lot more help if you can reword your initial post. Seriously, trust me on this one. I have gotten my tail handed to me numerous times when I first started asking for help because I thought "hey man, you had to start somewhere didn't you" and I'll be danged if I'm going to let somebody tell me what is cool and what isn't. Well, I learned that if I would just shut up and read the posts that the "old timers" were posting, I learned pretty much everything that i needed to know in order to realized that I could build a custom ride and let the "R" word float around it if I drove it around town and that I knew it was a custom build. Now, granted I don't have anything right now that i am working on...but I can bet you a dollar to donuts that no matter what I get, I'll be right here with those that "don't show no love to those kind of cars" and get all the help and knowledge that I can. just my empty .02 c worth

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Read the rules of this site. This place is ABSOLUTELY NOT THE PLACE TO TALK RAT RODS. We're all about TRADITIONAL rods. Most of us don't "hate" them, but rat rods simply do not fall into this category.

16. an unfinished rod is not a rat rod just a work in progress but if it's badly built or a car built to look like a garbage scow doesn't do it for me and a lot of other people.

17. Finster5292

Finster5292
    from California

Well i hear what you guys are saying im not necesarily building a rat rod i might have gotten some of the wording wrong, my bad. Im just looking for some answers here and to find out if the things stated above and learn somethings along the way. THe way i look at it we're all building cars here but i promise i wont use the "R" word again. I also had some questions regarding how do measurement for a chop if ya'll will help me.

18. Finster5292

Finster5292
    from California

I agree a 100% with you guys on the fact that some people just throw a bunch of garbage together with no real originality or thought, But thats not what im going for. I want a nice hotrod but i want it low is all. If we could move passed this mommy just hit daddy at the dinner table discussion and get back to my original post that would be appreciated.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

We'll if you're looking to get the rod really low, yes you'll need to either double-Z the frame, or go with a suicide setup up front.

Review threads here for ideas. There are plenty of pictures showing different methods of gettin it in da weeds.

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Why the Hell do People think it COOL to have the Body sit on the Ground ?

Low is Cool, Traditional Low is Cool, Nose Up Drag style is Cool....

Body sitting on the ground ???? NOT COOL !

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. F&J

F&J

I think I like this guy :D :cool:

Welcome to the hamb:p

23. tinmann

tinmann

You're going to be okay, young grasshopper. Perhaps start with one topic to simplify things A chassis is a very good foundation upon which to build a hotrod. Let's start there. You won't hear a whole lot of airbag talk here but that's okay. You will, however see some over the top fabrication going on. Might I suggest you start by pulling up some of El Polako's threads and see how to go about glueing a low chassis together? Come back with questions anytime..... after you've done a smidge of searching.

24. You need to go over to killbillet.com, friend. You're stepping on the wrong end of the rake asking these questions on the HAMB.

25. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

yes...do it like this:

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      552.7 KB
      Views:
  26. Here's what you do..
    Get this stuff :
    The body you want to use
    Front axle & tires you will use.
    Rear axle & tires you will use.
    Engine & trans you will use.
    Flat place to build it.

Decide or establish a wheel base.

You can do this on the floor set everything on the floor
    Set axles with wheels at wheel base,
    Set motor and trans in location.

Go with your steel :
    From top of rear axle tube to floor that's your rear z.
    From that point forward to fire wall,thats your main rail.
    Choose a front Z or sweep for your A frame sections to be on.
    Run those up to right on top of the axle.
    Figure out motor mounts.

Now add in 4" of suspension travel via springs or bags. That gives you 4 " of ground clearance too.
    There's a bag set up for the front too.

There's 10,000 steps in-between but that should get you started

27. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

the way I see it, if you didn't design, build and DRIVE your "car", then it's not really 'your's'....don't let people dictate whats right or wrong, be creative, but make sure it's SAFE and more importently, DRIVE IT

28. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

Why is traditional low cool but body on the ground not cool? Who defines cool? Oh yeah, I define what I think is cool. I think both are cool personally but if you dont like it doesn't mean everyone else can't. Everyones got opinions and that's fine but when you force them on others or critisize them for it, you're crossing a line. And the "old timers" they are speaking of are guys that do nothing but sit on this site all the time and post their ideas on what you should do with your project so I'd ignore the bullshit and try and find the nice ones that don't care what you do as long as you wanna learn and do things right. Now, on the the original post, I agree that you should look at other threads using the search function and check other sites out too. You seem to have a grasp on it you just need re-assured is my guess. But I will say don't use the "rat rod" phrase too much or at all here. It's like saying jesus was a bastard jew to some people. Rust isn't traditional, but if you leave out details like that, they can't attack you for it. Lets see what kinda criticism I get for this one! Good luck and ask all the questions you need, I'll be happy to help with what I can!

29. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Amen!!!!!

30. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

took me a year of design before cutting up my first model A frame....just sayin'