Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought a Studebaker

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by TrinityRestorations, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Just bought a project and thought I better join you guys. I've already read about some builds and stole a few ideas from some very talented guys. I don't have any spare time or money right now with a new kiddo but I will be posting a build thread once the time comes... laying low until then...

2. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

3. Welcome to the H.A.M.B

4. raymay

raymay

Welcome from New York.

5. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Welcome from Oklahoma. Tell us about your Stude.

6. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Welcome & here's an old guy"s way of thinking. If you only remove, clean, or install only one bolt a day before you know it the Stude will be done. Happy wrenchin.

7. Thanks fellas, the new project is a little overwhelming and its like RDAH said just like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

The Stude is a 1949 2R5 all original, not sure if its the big 6 or little 6 and its three on the tree but im not sure if it has over drive or not. I rescued it from the previous owners backyard deep in the heart of Arlington, TX. I had to use a Harbor Freight chain hoist chained to a tree for 12 hrs to get it out. A forklift would have been better. The guy i bought it from inherited the Stude from his dad who bought it off of the Coca-Cola bottling company in '59, they finished restoring it in '69, and drove it daily until '89 when it was parked. I found his ad on craigslist and made the trip to buy it. 5 minutes after I arrived with cash in hand another interested buyer showed up, but he was a day late and a dollar short. We got the truck out and on the trailer, hauled it home, and now its resting comfortably in my shop.

... the plan is to use this as a daily driver/cruise night vehicle which will require me to retrofit a late model GM chassis and LS1/4L60E while maintaining the stock Track Width and look & feel of the original. Keep the good - Replace the bad.

8. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

you got one of the "good lookin" ones

9. 22c1814

22c1814

My son in law has his grandfathers, one owner, 49 Stude PU. We would like to build on a different frame as you plan. I have a 50 chev PU on a S-10 frame but on this one I would like a running gear closer to the correct track width. What research have you done and what would work best? I have seen ones with late 70's- early 80's Chev PU frames but the track width is a little wide but the body mounts they tell me are close. Thanks

10. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Welcome, Studebaker owner here as well...Wagonaire....love'em all

11. Not sure about the wide chevy's, I've seen a 2r5 on a dodge ram charger chassis but the wheels were sticking out of the fenders. I plan on lowering the truck and my preference is when the wheels and tires are tucked up under the fenders nice and neat. I have seen a few guys using the S10 chassis on these trucks and since I plan on using an LS1 it will really simplify a lot of things. I don't know about you, but fabbing my own body mounts, radiator supports and box mounts/floor mods seems pretty straight forward. The S10 wheelbase and track width aren't the same as these 2r5s. You can either shorten the longer s10 chassis down to fit the 112" wheelbase or what I might do is cut 4" out of the bed to match the single short s10 wheelbase. Track width is easy, error on the side of caution and go too narrow, then use back spacing on the wheels to put them where you want them. Anyway you go should be sweet.

12. Cool looking stude. And welcome to the H.A.M.B.

13. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I'm doing a 46 Studebaker M5 pu on an S10. There is a seem in the S10 frame that you can grind the weld off and shorten the wheelbase fairly simply. The track width is a bit narrow and one thing to consider. An alternative would be the dodge dakota chassis. It's spot on track width wise with the M5's and I would guess yours too. Something to consider....

14. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

welcome from so-cal, i'm running a 65 studebaker small block in my 1929 ford coupe!

15. Apenaut

Apenaut

16. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Welcome to the HAMB...here's my Stude (see avatar)..32 President Hot Rod...always glad to see more Studies being built..good luck..

17. Welcome, and one of my favorite trucks. Good luck on the build.

18. 1948stude

1948stude

19. MikWin

MikWin

Hi. I just bought a 53 2R6-12 Studebaker pickup and I also want to put it on a late model GMC (96 Sierra 1500). I found that the GMC track width is 2.8" wider in the front than the Stude, and 4" in the rear. I am not sure this can be overcome. Might need offset wheels. What is your approach in using a late model GMC subframe? Thanks, Mike

20. Let me say this: having a wife that supports your need to create/modify/improve junk cars and trucks makes this a lot easier. My ole lady bought a complete 1990 s10 from a salvage yard. Plans changed a little bit, the 4.3 v6 will be rebuilt along with the 700r4 and used in the Stude... The budget is really going to like this change, I just don't know how long I'm going to be satisfied with 200hp.

The track width issue of using an s10 is somewhat of a concern, I've seen another guy post how he would have used a Dakota chassis if he were to do it again. That comment has a lot of weight knowing he has done what I am planning to do. I don't know what wheels he is using but that is where I am going to try and compensate for the narrow track. I think finding some old school rally wheels 15x8 with a custom 3" back spacing will help.

Now, using a full size truck might be a little different. My opinion is go narrow then compensate to widen. Going wide might limit your options, but if that's all you have to work with, go for it and make it happen! Build Strong!

21. Veach

Veach

Looks and sounds awesome can't Waite to see it.Veach from Mineral Wells Tx 47 miles west of Fort Worth Tx

22. 41Stude

41Stude

Sounds like a fun project. I would love a truck to go with my coupe. Keep posting. They will come!

23. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

this is my 53 with a 74 camero front end. works ok I think if I was to do it again I would do an aftermarket front end. Frame swaps are over rated IMO.

Attached Files:

24. studebakerdave

studebakerdave