Register now to get rid of these ads!

hidden dash LED warning lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mfp-66, Jul 24, 2012.

1. mfp-66

mfp-66

have been trying to work where to put the warning lamps on the dash without them looking like spots on a face. so while on holiday nothing to do but think i had a bright idea.
    above my gauges i have mounted the original dash lamp
    [​IMG]

i removed the cover and took out the bulb holder and wiring. i got a piece of alloy and using my lathe. machined it so that one end fit tight into the main case. the other end was turned down so that the cover would push on/ pull off. i hollowed it out and drilled four 5mm holes in the end.

i fitted 4 LED bulbs in the holes. 1 x red for ignition light, 1 x blue for high beam and 2 x green for left and right indicators
    [​IMG]

the bottom of the cover was cut off where it had a recessed ring so that it was parallel all the way down to allow it to slide on & off
    [​IMG]

i put a 12v supply to the LEDs to see if they were easy to see and they are definitely bright enough
    [​IMG]

and when not in use the cover pushes on to hide them

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Now that's a bright idea!
    KK

3. I think it's a good idea, but I would get tired of pulling the cover off all the time

4. great idea! i wonder if you cut 3 more slots in the side, if the light would be bright enough to cast glow onto the dash?

5. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Like it! Here's a thought... What if you milled out the center of the original cover and refit it with a curved piece of mirrored 1-way plastic (such as the lens from a cheap pair of Dollar Store sunglasses), and that way you could leave the cover in place. A piece of mirrored sunglass lens in place of the domed top on the cover would look like solid chrome if you fit it tight enough, which shouldn't be too difficult with a lathe. It would not only keep you from having to take the cover off to be able to see the LEDs, but it would cut down on the intensity of the LEDs, too.

6. mfp-66

mfp-66

I will probably only put the cover on at cruises and shows.

Thanks, I might try the mirrored sunglasses idea later

7. With that much light you could have mounted it behind the dash and seen it during the daytime. :D HRP

8. mfp-66

mfp-66

It's actually not as bright as it is in the last photo. The camera just makes it look that way