Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;yes,the early Novas do not have as much class as an early Falcon!!! One of the guys has a collection of BAD ASSED Pro-built Chevys and we could not get away from him!!!You need to start a post of some build pictures and info on your Falcon!! ROY.

2. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Roy, not much to tell, just your run of the mill street car. When the car was running & driving, it didn't handle very well, the headers were way too small, and the engine bay way too tight, and it didn't stop very well. I put in a mustang II front end from Rod & custom in SC. It's got tubular a-arms, coil overs, and Wilwood discs at all 4 corners. I had a 235/60-15 M&H Racemaster on it, that rubbed. I mini tubbed it, just moved the stock wheel house to the frame rail, and moved the leaf springs to the inside of the frame. Now, I have a 275/60-15 with room for more.

3. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Needed paint, missing trim, tired of black, (besides that, it was steves old car when it was black, now it's MY car) interior was in really bad shape (broke the back of the stock bucket seat off, while pushing in the clutch. That's what started this whole thing) wanted a cage, want to go into the 9's, and I want it safe & sturdy. Also, I had 03 cobra rims & tires on the car, and they fit quite well! 17 X 9's on all four corners, so who knows? Maybe I'll try my hand at some road racing too?

4. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Good looking coon kid. No shame in your parts car too fiveoh.

paco

5. Restored!! I have a couple paint spots to touch up with the detail brush where it lifted, but overall i am happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Looks great, can't wait to see the car on the track.

7. Setting the pinion angle, Calvert recommended 4 degrees with all his suspension items I have
    [​IMG]
    Exhaust and subframe connectors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I had those same frame connectors in my car. They really stiffen the car up well. The chassis guy told me they were too thin, (1/16th thick) and had to cut them out, and they put 1/8 inch thick 2 x 3 through the floor. Don't be discouraged by what I'm saying about my issue, I had the cage built to pass certification to 8.50. I don't know how fast you plan on running with your car mike, but I'm sure you'll have no problems with tech.

9. Brian, thanks for the input. I plan on running between 10.30- 11.30 . I only have a 7 inch tire too so I think that will prevent me from going too fast!
    I had them stitch weld it to the floor pan as well in several areas to help stiffin it up. You will be flying in ur car! Once I get mine done we will see how fast it goes, this is my first racecar so it may go 14.00 or 10.00 LOL

10. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, I won't be flying, never gonna go 8.50 with my junk, just wanna be safe. My car is way over built in that respect, not so much in the power dept. FYI, I had a 235/60-15 M&H Racemaster street tire. I launched at 6400 rpm, got the front wheels up a few inches, and went 1.70 in the 60' you'll do just fine with the caltracks.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;did Bones get your Falcon finished?I saw his Camaro at the Cruise last night but did not see him. ROY.

12. I have been working the last 4 days but stopped by to check on it on Thursday afternoon. The seat mounts were done, the exhaust was the done, rear end welded on the perches ,some aluminum work was done and they were just waiting for the driveshaft. He thought maybe Monday. Sooooo what's ur trailer doing Monday? Lol

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Give me a call,I will be home Monday,trailer is available.Tuesday I am doing an ignition install on Will's wife's Comet,have to trailer it over to my home. ROY.

14. nightowlrodandcustom

nightowlrodandcustom
    from lindsay

wow love the way this is turning out makes me want to pull my 64 ranchero out and get to work cant wait to see it done (maybe a video of it)

15. Back from the shop! Thank you Roy!
    [​IMG]

16. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Sure looks great in the sunlight.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

That old,fat guy is getting his bald head sunburnt,AGAIN!!!! Mike;your Falcon is coming along great,I'm glad I could help!!! ROY[the old,fat guy].

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Mike your car looks awesome, thats hard work paying off!!!...Al

19. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

She is coming along great I wish my car was as close to being finished as yours .

20. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Hey man, what's the latest on the falcon?

21. Here's what I have been up too... got the driveshaft installed and have been modifying the summit universal safety loop. It has four brackets and I have cut and redesign holes on all four to make it fit right! Definitely universal!!!

I got the shift linkage adjusted and tightened
    [​IMG]
    I also almost got the back end of the car done
    [​IMG]

I got the back brake line finished and now all the lines are bent and fittings tightened. I bled them with a vacuum bleeder and got some good brake pedal feel. I had a couple leaks, just an extra turn on the fitting fixed. I need to have someone come pump the brakes so I can finish bleeding them.

Next up is to finish mounting the battery tray in the trunk and running the main cable. Also wirin the msd box and new fuse panel... Soon after that it should start!

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;lookin good!!!! Give me a call if you need a brake pedal masher!!!!Do you need anything welded on the driveshaft loop? ROY.

23. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Wow that last shot looks like glass, looking forward to seeing it done.

24. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Mike the tail panel is looking good...amazing how much time it takes to assemble!......Al

25. Just read through this entire thread. Great job on the falcon. and subscribed!

26. Ec and big mike thank you very much I am getting very excited the closer I get to firing it

27. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

How the hell do you get the moulding into the rear window gasket???

28. I haven't done my falcon one yet, but I did one on my 64 fairlane about a year ago. I out the rubber moulding on the window, then put the moulding in the channel of the rubber gasket around the window. I next put the cord around the rubber gasket sprayed some wd40 around the window opening, careful not to get the headliner. Myself and a friend lifted into place. I went inside and pulled the cord pulling the window into place as he pushed the window down and made sure the moulding stayed in.. It was time consuming but not hard.

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;you hit it head on! You HAVE to install the trim into the rubber after it is on the glass,if you look at the trim it is shaped like an "L" where it goes into the rubber.If you wait until the glass and rubber are installed into the car there is not enough clearance for the tang to lock in place.Not sure when that was started but the trim installation on my 1952 Mercury is the same as my 1965 Comet!!If the rubber is new you should be able to remove it along with the glass and install your stainless trim then reinstall the whole thing! ROY.

30. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Now that I got the window in, how do I get it back out? The only way I've ever taken them out was cutting the gasket. I'd really like to not have to do that, I would like to save the gasket & re use it.