Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Wine Country Region A.C.B.S Wooden Boat Show in Hammondsport NY.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawzall, Jul 24, 2012.

1. sawzall

sawzall

This was the second year my wife and I have attended the A.C.B.S show in Hammondsport NY (which once again unfortunately conflicted with the Syracuse Nationals.)

Hammondsport is small village situated at the bottom of Keuka lake, in an area of the New York Finger Lakes that is well known for its wine...

convincing my wife to attend was EASY..
    the drive to Hammondsport on friday (in the rain) was HARD as I had to employ some 200MPH tape to keep rain out of my cowl vent..

after lunch at our first winery.. we set off for my wife's favorite. along this road..

[​IMG]

somehow the promise of wine made the trip somewhat less stressful... [​IMG]

luckily saturday morning we woke to bright sunny sky's.. and a very dirty wagon..

[​IMG]

after a quick wash I took a few pics at the Glen Curtiss Museum

[​IMG]

and then headed into town for the Boat show.

[​IMG]

The backdrop of the Hammondsport show is the old train depot.. which most found fitting..

While 7 woodies may not seem like a big deal.. here on the east coast this is pretty rare..

my pal "rusty truck" might know this 39 Chevy woodie.. which has "just the right amount of "accessory's"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of the 1948 chevy woodies in attendance has a special story.. in 1948 it was utilized by a professor from Western Reserve University in Cleveland Ohio on a 10,000 mile scientific expedition of Africa..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neat model a woodie.
    [​IMG]

after spending some time with the woodie folks.. I had to hit up the ice cream vendor.. who was making ice cream on the spot with this nifty hit and miss engine.

[​IMG]

hard to NOT like the vintage "Chris Crafts"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

check the instrument panel..

[​IMG]

but I found the Shepard's had the BEST sound..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

again with the instrument cluster!
    [​IMG]

ironically.. something like this little penn yan, perhaps with just a slightly bigger motor, might work well on the river here near my home...

[​IMG]

a few classic fiberglass boats were on display as well.. I wish the owner of this classic pair would have let the girl at home though.

[​IMG]

saturday closed with a group of friends meeting up at a local watering hole..
    sunday morning we set for home, after spending a few more hours at the Curtiss museum and enjoying some more wine..

more pics here:http://public.fotki.com/sawzallshop/some_photos_from/2013/wine-country-region/

2. I can honestly say I am jealous. I grew up in western NY near Conesus Lake, and went to college in Canandaigua. I miss the trips to Wine Country. Have you visited the farmers market near Taylor winery with the bee hive in the wall?

3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Looks like a fun time.
    How was the wine? :D

4. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

It's always a pleasure to read such a finely narrated collage of photos by someone who took the time to present it in such a fashion.

Thank you.

5. Great post. I love it up there, always miss that boat show too, but thankfully there are enough of them around that you ghetto see them from time to time. I totally agree about the instrument panels, they seem to be everywhere when you see those things. I also like the cast aluminum foot plates that are on the sides.

Love the woodies, and I would love to know more about the one that went through Africa.

Looks like you had a good time! Thanks for posting.

6. sawzall

sawzall

Al

I'd love to have a 39 ford woodie there next year, too bad no one local has one!!

Ps I'm working on getting a Pontiac there for next year, hopefully!

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Jeff, the woodie out in the rain. it will get water logged... and that dirt. that is not allowed...

thanks for sharing..

8. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

Jeff, Nice coverage of the event. Hopefully next year Karen and I will make it with our 1957 Century Arabian. Are you going to the clayton show?

Ted-

9. sawzall

sawzall

ted

I cant make clayton.. but hope to visit with you sometime soon..

jeff

10. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Jeff, I'd love to have a '39 Ford Woodie there next year too. :D

11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great shots, sound like a pretty good road trip. That is a beautiful area of NY state. Your woodie is cool.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Nice pics Jeff, I wouldn't worry about missing syracuse too much, looks like you had a better time than you would have up there! You guys should come up to Buffalo for the vintage boat show sometime, it's great.