Register now to get rid of these ads!

Met Dave stuckey today(kinda long read)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorvisions, Jul 24, 2012.

1. motorvisions

motorvisions

What a great/cool guy. I was working in Wichita last year and drove past this little shop every day that has a couple old projects out front, but no one was ever around to talk to. So today I came back to Wichita from Florida and decided to drop by again, once again no one was there but as we were getting in the truck he pulled up (I had no idea who he was until we left)
    He seemed really hesitant to talk to us or that he just didn't want us there, but he answered all our usual "is anything for sale" questions with one word answers. We wished him a great day and thanked him for his time and walked back to the truck. Then he motioned for us to come in. So grateful he did!
    We ended up spending over 2hrs with him showing us all his current projects and past funny car and custom builds up on the walls.
    He's working on a 32 Vicky Prostreet that will be monogram's lil coffin 2 and a chopped/channeled 32 5 window flathead that I was in love with.
    Not to mention his collection of motors. Today was a great day, so glad he opened his door to us. The amount of time and attention to detail he has in his work is something to be envious of. Never would have expected what was behind those inconspicuous garage doors when I pulled up.

2. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

I met Dave several years ago he did some louvers for me, it was a very small job but he was just as nice to me as if I had just brought in a big custom job. I also had the priviledge of being good friends of Eldon Titus. Eldon told me once that he felt that Dave Stucky was the best body man he had ever met. I am glad you got to met him also.

3. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

I first met Dave in the 60s. Stopped by his shop to ask a few questions. I had a 57 Ford 2-D wagon I was thinking about chopping the top. I wanted to know how far I could lay the windshield back before I ran out of glass in the corners. After walking around the car for 5 minites he said I wouldnt chop it. OK what would you do? Cut it here, move this there ect. Took me 3 days to figure what he was talking about. It would have been chopped, channeled, & sectioned & still have the stock windshield. Never did it, but still think about it now & then.

4. aircap

aircap

Dave has been working on that '32 for over 10 years.
    I hope it gets done.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

They don't come better than Dave.

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

motorvisions...you lucky sod. Very very jealous over here...grumble grumble...did he let you take any photos per chance?

7. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

8. motorvisions

motorvisions

He did let me snag some pics, only had my phone since I didnt know exactly what I was walking into. Got a pic of his 4 carb yellow candy and polished flathead i wanted to bring home to my 52. Just took some snapshots of the two 32s.
    He said his 2 strokes have slowed him down alot, but his ex wife comes over and runs his tig pedal while he's up on a ladder welding the cage lol

9. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

Dave Stuckey on a ladder? That I have to see. Never seen a guy more scared of height.