Register now to get rid of these ads!

My friends dont like hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Jul 11, 2012.

1. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Most of my friends are motor heads,except for a few scouting friends I have. Some of them are from the 50s altho they are getting fewer, some still are own rods others just like to talk about cars. I was never into bikes but I like cars, there my second live after my wife, yes I got a good one.

2. terry48435

terry48435

Get some new friends.

3. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

i golf and drive old cars. who says you cant do more than one thing . if they dont get it ,fine, as long as you enjoy cars who says they have to also.friends are friend . you decide who your friends are.

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

im 20, alot of my friends are into cars but none are into traditional customs or hot rods. there all great people, but have different interests. my dad is the only one whos into the same shit as me. so i have someone to talk to on a daily basis about the work im doing on my truck. its all good though. theres tons of shows with alot of people around to talk to and have a blast with. alot of kids my age cant comprehend having a custom to cruise mainstreet in at 20mph, or a gasser with a straight axle and bias plys. sometimes i just go to the shop and spend hours by myself to kinda re focus myself on the shit i like to do

5. The friends I surround myself with dig just about everything I do .............

[​IMG]

6. wow toby you have some nice friends :)

7. Shamedevil

Shamedevil

Find new friends!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  9. This is still a thing?

10. robber

robber

My friends do like hot rods. My relatives accept them as being my passion.
    When friends and family are not around, I do well alone.;)

11. rld14

rld14

My best friend isn't into old cars, and thinks I'm completely out of my mind with the hot rod. Was discussing possible engines with him the other night... The idea that I'd spend thousands building an engine that probably won't make 200hp and only have a 3 speed tranny is completely alien to him. He's ridden in the Lincoln, once. He won't ride in the Ford bc it doesn't have seat belts. Yet he rides a bicycle. Go figure. He drives a new A6, he loves it. He's into cars to a degree, just not HAMB stuff. He likes my OT stuff though.

Most of my other friends like my cars but aren't car guys, I'm cool with that. I've generally known these guys my whole life.

12. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I can honestly say that I don't have a friend who isn't a car guy. My interests and those of my friends range from hot rods to stock cars, to drag racing and land speed racing. My next door neighbor ( and friend ) is more into the British cars , but he says he loves the sound of my SBC. At work ( paper mill engineering office) most of the engineers and maintenance people are car guys too.

On the other hand , I'm the Lone Wolf in my family when it comes to cars and related stuff.

13. 343w

343w

So let me understand this question, your friends spend their time: drinking, chasing women, and watching the Packers. And you are concerned because they are not into Hot Rods, what is your point my friend? Maybe you should pray for them to get a life! In the mean time enjoy yours.....

14. I have always said if you can count your friends on more than one hand,it's time to re evaluate yer friends...

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a few buds who think I should scrap all of my old shit and get new, think I should build horsepower instead of keep the old running. I've known some who'd actually say sissy things like, "Eew, that's loud! Who would want that?" Who cares? Not me, and not many that I've come to know better just since I've been a member here. Truth is that we all want others to be "like us" in one way or another. Want them to think our stuff is kool and have the same lust for life and nostalgia. Forget that. What you like or choose to take up defines who you are. Maybe not 100% as I'm certainly more than my hotrods and old stuff. Most of you are. If you do this stuff for social reasons then that too defines a portion of who and what you are. The world has more to offer than crusty old speed parts, antique wheels, vintage tools or old hot rods. Perhaps we have friends from those other choices in life that never will get it. I don't think I'd want them too. I'm not sure I'd want my classic car folks as wound up about an old kustom as I get, even though the interests are so similar. Maybe this jabber makes sense, maybe not. I know that an old grille moves me as much as a trio of 2bbls, an old kustom paint finish is as exciting as a new one, and that almost anything can inspire from back in the day. It doesn't always have to be a Deuce hiboy or a rigid Panhead.

Enuff fer now...

16. Dave50

Dave50

Get new friends

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a lot of GOOD friends who are not car guys at all, but man, saying something like that would probably be enough to get someone taken off my Christmas card list...:p

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

i dont have many friends.never wanted alot of them . im a biker first but im also a hotrodder so i have a group of people i hang with but only a very few friends.now that i think about it i have only 2 really good friends.damn no wonder im alone alot of the time.lol

20. Colville

Colville

Being in the military makes it hard to keep good friends having to move around. Most all of my good friends are in North Carolina where im from. Most guys in the military are either really into guns, hunting, or sitting at buffalo wild wings for hours talking and watching any sport that involves a ball. Me on the other hand kind of an outsider. I grew up skateboarding and being into cars.

Not too many people I work with understand anything about hot rods or customs. They see a tubbed out '57 chevy with 20" wheels and think its awesome! Well, just not my cup of tea. So I'll just put up with them and hang out with the guys in N.C. until I can meet some people that live closer with the same interests. Mostly I hang out with my wife she loves pretty much anything I do so id say shes my best friend.

21. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

It is easy to say "get new friends".
    I like the The book Illusions by Richard Bach. A few quotes:
    "Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years." And.
    "Cosmic law...like attracts like. Just be who you are. Calm and clear and bright. As we shine who we are...that turns away those who have nothing to learn from who we are and attracts those who do and from whom we have to learn, as well."
    One more. "Every person, all the events of your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you chose to do with them is up to you."
    I think these describe most of us in this great hobby, business, lifestyle or what ever you perceive it to be.

22. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

OK. I can't resist. Just one more quote from Illusions:

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof."

I'm done. I'm done. Go buy the book on ebay for $5 if you want more!

23. duece

duece
    from australia

Hey why don,t ya try this take a piss in some of ya home brew then give em a choice have a swig or go on ya H.D. with ya at 100mph in the rain with no helmet you'll soon find out who ya want to cut lose.

24. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

Im a lone wolf. Nobody likes me. I don't like anybody else.

25. power wagon

power wagon

lol,i dont worry about it , the truck people hate me cos i own 2 hearses ,the hearse people hate me cos i like trucks . i like em all

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife is my best friend, she isn't into it like I am but she never misses pointing out hot rods, customs or classics to me when she sees them. She is such a good sport going to shows and whatnot.

27. power wagon

power wagon

this really pisses some people off when i park this next to them

Attached Files:

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nailed it.

29. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey power wagon, how close are you to Rangeley?