Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Its all '35.... welting for hood is '35... '36 has rubber bumpers..... '36 taillights go downward from the front top corner.... '35's go straight back

Zach

2. J.B. you fuckin rule!!!!! My brother from another mother.

3. Jeff you are getting a little testy lately.:D Just know there are some of us that do care and appreciate the effort guys like yourself and J.B. make to keeping the traditional custom flame alive. Who cares about those that don't get it. No amount of convinving will ever sway them so it is wasted energy even trying.

4. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

This roadster was built in SoCal about 1980. It originally had skirts. Can't decide if it needs skirts again or leave it as is. I did add the Packard headlights, otherwise 1980 stuff.

Attached Files:

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looks like you need the earlier thread...nice though.

6. Testy ? I dont think so....honest is more like it.Well after going to Barnes and Noble the other night and leaving empty handed.... I felt disapointed.Door gaps and stainless should be done correctly to get in magazines.Well I guess thats why classic boats are becoming so much more interesting.

7. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

Royalshifter, Please explain your statement about earlier thread. Thanks.

8. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

1948-1952 vehicles?

9. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

No, that's not what JB asked for. He wanted recent customs done in the style that was popular in California in 1948-52. In fact, his thread started with a photo of a 1936 Ford 3 window.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If that is so My bad I apologise. I do know there is another thread for earlier. Just trying to help that is all. Also not my thread to police so I will stay off. Thanks.

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Ralph, it almost fits this thread. If it were to have skirts and the same size wheels and tires all around it would fit in great. Its still a very nice car.

12. roddinron

roddinron

I'd drop the rear and add skirts, but it's a beautiful car either way. Oh, and dump those amber lights up front.

13. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

roddinron,
    That's why I asked the question about skirts. Guess my '40 in my avatar is better qualified for this thread. I agree about the amber lights.

Attached Files:

14. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Nice '40 Ralphy!

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Yes. How about some more pics of it?

16. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

cleatus,
    I'm sorry but I don't have any other photos of the '40. Right now it's on a lift in a shop getting new carrier bearings. However, if you type my name into Google, and click on '40 ford coupe (Rod & Custom feature article), you can see some photos and a narrative.
    Ralph Turnberg

17. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I recently sold just about every piece of rare speed equipment, every collectible, a car, and the kitchen sink to buy this '39 convert from a fellow HAMBer. probably going to be more of a pre-war early post war style custom but I think it still belongs on this thread. the car was never really customized but rather modernized back in the day. It's a '39 with a '40 hood, headlight rings, and side trim. judging by the paint and upholstery it looks to have been built sometime in the 50's. And it has a hopped up 59A flatty!

Here's how she looked when I got her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And how she looks with a little work and some jewelery! still needs to be lowered a little bit and will eventually be getting a chopped windshield and carson top! I will try to preserve the old paint and color match it for the skirts and chopped windshield.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. weez

weez

That's great, congrats! I like the shorter top convertibles like this for Carson tops- Man, that's gonna rule-

(Every car I have ever bought has had that steering wheel wrapping, haha!)

19. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Keith! yeah that old man steering wheel wrapping is already gone!

20. 53chevy

53chevy

Wow! That is too much, you still have the '39 Mercury Carson Custom? I truly like the '37 Desoto bumpers and can't wait to install mine. I like the shorter top style of the '39 Ford compared to the '40, but the '40 Valley Custom Ford is one that is perfect.

Even the deers like Customs, hahahaha

Kenny

21. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Ha Ha i have seen that fenderskirt before

Very nice Cabriolet with the rumble..... the top is great, much better than the "forty"

Perfect for a Carson

Talk to you soon

22. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hey Kenny, yeah still got the merc, and yes deers do like customs. In fact they love them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

one from our club

Attached Files:

24. Wow, thats going to be awesome!

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Kevan, I'm so glad you got that '39. It couldn't have fallen into better hands.
    I'm extremely excited to see your progress on it.
    WOW

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks man! I got the exhaust done today then took it for a little spin around the block. First time on the road in like 15 years! It did ok but the brakes are a little sketchy so I'll be working on those this weekend.

27. Nice 39 Kev! I dig the wrapped wheel! ha! Is that your heavily chopped 3W in the background? Geez - it seems every group of photos you post has a little nugget of awesomeness in the background...

28. Fu#*ing Flawless .

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

^^^^Truth^^^^ These are the most perfect cars when they are done just like that. Funny since they start out as probably the ugliest car in stock form! That might be an exaggeration but they definitely look better as customs.

30. Great to see these 2 hardtopped 51 mercs side by side at a show.I love looking at the roofs since they are parked next to eachother here.(bottom)