Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Merc build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InkSlingnRatFink, Jul 24, 2012.

1. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Whats up everyone....I finally figured out how to get a thread started on this build....I was given my grandfathers 1950 merc after he passed, and with a good friend Mike (rustflavored) we are going to do a frame off build of this car. The car is being built at his shop, and he is giving me a great learning opportunity to build a car the RIGHT way. Ill be posting pics as I go, and look forward to responses/opinions from everyone. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. Congrats..........

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

What are your plans with the build? Stu

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Nice project...

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Looks good how it is...

6. sololobo

sololobo

Ditto on lookin good as is, but pix can lie. Congrats at any rate, Grandpa was a cool dude! ~sololobo~

7. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

These are the pics I took right after we put her on the lift. The back half of the frame is shot. I guess after 62 years, its what to expect....

Attached Files:

8. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Not sure how you guys get the big pictures to upload...this is all I could do...

9. ebfabman

ebfabman

I thinks there is a complete stock frame for sale here. May be a good idea to just put it together on a stock frame....

10. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I have a complete stock chassis that is available. PM me if you are interested.

Good luck with your build.

11. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

I wouldn't touch it. it looks great

12. Car

Car
    from the desert

Very nice, congrats!

13. Sorry to about grandpa....however great car!! Have fun with it

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Your Grandpa would be happy knowing you're going to "rebuild it right." Are my eyes fooling me with that photo showing the "X" member almost cut off for the exhaust? If you can put a new frame under that car you will be in great shape. i see it already has disc brakes. BE SURE AND TAKE PLENTY OF "BEFORE" AND "AFTER" PHOTOS to document the history of the car. Stay focused and remember your Grandad is watching.

15. Roger53

Roger53

Make yours ,make it safe and remember your grandpa when you drive it. Roger

16. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Thanks for all the replies...and yes...sad to say..the xmember was cut out/off...both sides...I will definitely post up more pics as I go. Our plans are to replace/channel the floor, new firewall, build tube chassis from firewall back, basic 4 link/air suspension, and chop top. Im sure I will think of things to add here and there, but that's our basics. Im sure my grandfather would be proud to see it done...probably not so much the chop top though lol

17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Sucks to hear about the chop. I liked the originality of the stock roof.

18. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

This is your car,you can do whatever you want BUT what I read above sounds horrible,sorry.Get another chassis and you're done.Keep this car as stock as possible.Anyone can cut a car up,it takes a real man to restore one.

[​IMG]

19. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

My opinion and thats just what it is, an opinion, is just do the car back like your grandpa had the car, he would have wanted it that way and in the long run you will be proud of yourself for doing it that way. If you want a chopped, bagged merc, buy another merc and do that to the other car, there is only one that was your grandpas and there will never be another.....Jim

20. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Lol I was wondering how the whole 'chop top' idea was going to go with people...I def get mixed opinions about it....I had thought about it, and Im just a sucker for a chopped top. I snapped some pictures of the front fenders I thought you guys would like to see....warning..not for the faint hearted....I know I felt a little nausea when I saw it lol

21. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

This is the right fender..

Attached Files:

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Those fender photos gives rise to the thought that the inner rockers and lower body panels may have rust/bondo "issues".

23. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

They are....I'm going to get some pics of the rocker panel sections...they are in very bad shape....We are going to strip everything and fix it the way it should be....on one of the fenders...a patch was made and riveted in.....cant say I'm surprised...62 years holds a lot of secrets I'm sure lol

24. Rodders

Rodders

25. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted anything. My computer messed up so I'm using my phone until I get it fixed. Will post pics ASAP...we built a body cart and pulled the body off the frame...def needs a new frame. We also started shaving the firewall clean.

26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Cant wait for new pics!

27. Chop for the win!

28. desotot

desotot

do it how you like ,,,and if you mess up we;ll give you flak.:]

29. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Lol would only be deserved....going to see about getting the computer fixed today so i can get those pics posted...especially of the frame...would def gag a maggot that's for sure....