Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Olds, Any Ideas? Photoshop Please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I'm dealing on a 52 Olds 98, 4dr. (unfortunately). Anyone have some ideas for it? I'm thinking I want it low, maybe aluminum full-moons. It does come with skirts. On a limited budget so maybe 3" blocks in the rear, cut coils up front or are there stock coils that will lower it? Would anyone care to do a Photoshop?
    Thanks, Tom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Lower it and touch nothing else

3. R Pope

R Pope

Fill the tank and drive it!

4. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Another picture. Had to resize it.
    Tom

Attached Files:

5. I think it would look great just dropped down a few inches like you said with some full skirts on the back. If the four door thing bothers you, just remove the door handles and it will look almost the same as a two door;). And above all else drive it, drive it and then drive it some more.
    I remember a century ago:eek: I had a 2 door coupe '51 Ford and another local bought a '51 four door. I thought man I don't like the way that looks, a few weeks later it was lowered with olds spinners, spotlights and a nice red paint jod...damn it sure outlooked my coupe:(.
    Oh yeh, some real old large spotlights and a little old skool pinstriping don't look bad either, my .02 worth:D.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

please don't change out the wheel covers, especially for Moon discs.

lower it a bit if you must, but mostly just clean and polish.

those are wonderful cars to drive. the older guys will admire it because it is a car of status. They wish their father could have owned an Olds 98

7. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I'm afraid that there's not much polishing to it. The patia and some rust has taken over. I really don't like the stock caps that much. Kinda thinking moons would look good on there. Photoshop would show how it would look.
    Tom

8. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Rot 'N Kustom was good enough to Photoshop it for me. I'm diggin' it a lot.
    Tom

Attached Files:

9. Dats it....except for the front hubcaps, just say NO to plain discs:mad:.
    Somebody please photoshop this, I love the looks of this Olds.

10. Roger53

Roger53

I'd say fix the rust and go have some road time if the budget is a little skinny now. Damn them cars have some big time class. Roger

11. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

4 door unfortunately?! Why do alot of people look down on 4 doors here. Anyways I would rock that car the way it is...that thing is BEAUTIFUL!

12. jimstro16

jimstro16

I agree... leave it alone and drive it

Dont fix the rust

Leave the handles on, 4 doors dont bother me

No to the moons

Its cool just as it sits

13. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Tom:
    Honestly, I wouldn't go with the moon discs, either. You have a classy car, go for a classy look. I had a little more time play with it and this is what I came up with.

Since you are on a budget, I just did a few simple changes. Left most of the patina, just cleaned it up a bit.
    What do you think of this?

[​IMG]
    OldsMoon07 by DaveTartaglia, on Flickr

14. Maybe knock that big assed dent out of the hood.

15. Woody94

Woody94
    from Holly, MI

I agree with nothing being wrong with 4 doors (granted I now own one, so I am biased)

Drop that thing a tad, and drive the crap out of it!

16. I don't think the Moon racing discs would look that good on this car.
    Like was said...something more classy.....like even some repop Olds
    spinner caps , or the Dodge Lancer covers. Just my .02

17. Colville

Colville

Id throw 4" blocks in the back... Thats what mine has and I love the stance. Good looking olds, id fix the major cosmetic things, lower it find some caps you like and drive it.

18. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmmm.

Some of the things I think I'd change.

1. Change the oil and filter
    2. Change the gas filter and put in a new one.
    3. Probably change the tires around...It's probably been a while since they were rotated.
    4. Check the trunk area for a spare tire, and it's aired up
    5. Probably leave the skirts off. Since you have wide whites wall tires...show them. (The photo of mine shows there I have the skirts on, but I've since taken them off to show my white wall tires all around)

You go cutting those front coil springs with those knee action shocks, you're going to find it rides like old people (*(*&*&&^

Make it a tail dragger maybe if you must.

Really, back in the day, we did buy those big ole boats...After the newness wore off, then they were affordable for us to buy. Holy cow, a V8 that ran like snot off a door knob.. With that 303 engine with a 4 bbl, and that 4 speed hydro, they're a sleeper.

Maybe we'd shave and deck them, but that's about all. Just put in gas, check the oil and water, and go.

It works for me.

. Side view 52.JPG

I started out with one of these, and here I am 50 plus years later, right back with with I started with.

HellRaiser

And don't go screwing around trying to change out the 6 volt to 12. It'll run just fine on 6 volts.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Skirts,lowered a little and fiestas on the front.

20. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Well, looks like I'm getting it this Sunday. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. So far I can see that it will need a rear bumper as it's completely rusted through, rocker panels, that little chrome spear on the right rear quarter, the lower stainless part on the left rear quarter. If anyone has a source for these parts, please let me know. I will have to fix the rust, that's just me. I do like the last Photoshop rendition, thanks. It has since had dummy spots put on it, but they are pretty rusty. It will need seat covers. I got to drive it today and it runs fairly good. What a tank! That's what I wanted, though.
    Please keep the suggestions coming. They are appreciated.
    Tom

21. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

It has now been pounded out, but not filled.
    Tom

22. ShortBus

ShortBus

Here's a '51 to ponder.
    [​IMG]
    Built by Don Dillard (DRD57) of Highway 99 Hot Rods.

23. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if you insist on Moon Discs, I have some that are like new. They are free is you want to come and get them.

but I hope you don't

25. Boy, one of those turned up in one of my you-pick yards last year, I could have got a ton of that stuff. But all I nabbed was the cluster (sold), clock steering wheel (sold), factory compass, valve covers (sold), taillights (hanging on to) and some small bits.

Rockers may be tough, I don't think there's any repro for the big GM body these used - it's 51-53 Buick and Olds only so far as I know.

26. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Thank you sir! I am considering some kind of spinner, too.:)
    Tom

27. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200797142508?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
    They say these will fit,
    Tom

28. I don't know what quality those are, but he has the body shell right, I believe it's all 51-53 Buick and all 51-53 Olds except the '51 76 and 88 models.

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Body parts for the 98 will be similar to the caddy and roadmaster,the 88 and similar buicks are different.

30. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I must admit, I like that better.
    Thanks, Tom