Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floor shifter in 47 tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Spent most of the morning surfing search.
    Here's the deal. working on a bone stock 47 Ford tudor, and want to have a floor shift.
    All the old timers(hell, I'm 64!) tell me to just install a 39 trans and be done with it. I really don't see the logic in that. Any other time I would say that one of the universal 3 sp. floor shifters would work, but what about the fact that this is a closed driveline? Can I still modify some of the many brackets in one of those kits to work?
    Seems like there isn't enough tailshaft to install the shifter body.
    I'm not too worried about where the lever will come out, won't be my first time to bend things to fit. This is just my first time to work around a closed driveline.
    Is T&F still in business? I know that's a lot of money just to have a floor shift, but from what I hear it's a quality, no problems later part, so that may be an option. What say you? Thanks, Mike

2. Mike, HURST made a kit for that application but doubt that you will be able to find one..If my mind allows,I believe the part number was FO-4048. syncro/loc not Mystery shifter.But in reality,the 39 box is the easiest and looks better from inside the car.

3. Finding an aftermarket shifter will be harder than putting in a '39 transmission....Having a torque tube is not an issue when installing a floor shifter kit.

4. Thanks, Bob.
    I have an empty case, tower, and shift arms from a top loader, I would have to install the guts from my side shifter in it.
    So the advice I'm getting is right then. One old timer told me I could swap transmissions faster than I could install a shifter!
    One nice thing about the top loader transmission is that the shifter would be in the correct position.
    I've heard that a top loader will interfere with my heater, but I haven't measured to know that. If I ask ten people their opinions, I'll get eleven opinions! I guess it's a great excuse to do a rebuild on my transmission. Thanks, again

5. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto the '39 case,...Just swap all the side shift "guts" into the top shift case and away ya go !!

4TTRUK

7. 5.0strd

5.0strd
    from Utah

My 47 coupe has a hurst floor shift conversion, wouldnt recomend it, don't like the position of the shifter (too close to the throttle pedal and right against my leg) thinking about putting it back on the column, i vibrates and is noisey.

8. Joe,
    I saw this earlier, while I was surfing.
    The only problem with this is the backwards pattern. I thought I might contact these folks to see if I could turn the shift arms upside down to make the shift pattern conventional.
    You see folks, this all boils down to back in 1962, when in summer school there was a sweet 41 tudor in the parking lot every day. That was the first time I had ever seen a Hurst shifter, and I was smitten! The 39 top loader may be more better, but that aftermarket shifter has been etched in my brain ever since! :cool:
    Looks like tho.. I'm better off with the 39 trans....

9. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Go with the 39 case and be done.