Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best advice or guidance.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by misordia, Jul 23, 2012.

1. misordia

misordia

Good day fellow HAMBer's. To all the fabricators out there, what started you off on customizing and what's the best advice for someone trying to learn. I have a 52 Chevy but I wanna be able to work on it myself. I'm taking welding classes to be able to chop and bag my vehicle. What's the best source of info on learning I can turn to? Thanks for any input and have a blessed week.

2. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

When I was a kid , I used to work at a body shop just sweeping up, putting stuff back where it belonged, cutting grass, etc.
    The longer I was there the more they let me try or do. I learned a lot from most of the other guys, some were dicks but some were really helpful.
    When I got old enough to buy my first car, the boss would let me work on it in the corner of the shop on my own time & supplies at cost, if I got stuck on something they would set me straight.

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

This answer may not be the best.....
    There are a TON of clubs out there in the L/A/ area. Go to runs, shows and so on. Pick out the guy(s) you find most willing to offer a friendly hand. Most of true rodders are more than willing to pass on what they have learned over the years.

4. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Could do what I did; buy a crappy vehicle and dive in. You can't beat experience. But take my advice lightly, I still suck.

5. kscarguy

kscarguy

Read magazines, Check out books at the library, Ask questions, Go to car shows and Talk to guys who have done it...then measure twice, cut once.

Now, the least popular, (but pehaps best car advice ever)... stay in school, get a good job, make lots of money and buy a new car...cause most girls really don't like old cars or guys with grease under their fingernails. HA!!!

Hotrods, you gotta build them because you love em...!

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The HAMB is about the best learning tool I can think of READ, READ, READ, all kinds of build threads from some of the best out there.

7. deto

deto

8. Maybe so, but that doesn't make you a bad person !!:D

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Move and become Gambino's Apprentise!!! :)

10. kscarguy

kscarguy

Another thought...see if you can borrow any DVD's that are more hands on and how-to. I did just that and learned how to sew up interiors.

11. deto

deto

Thats how I gained a lot of knowledge... start sweeping floors for a good shop and you will eventually start working on cars...

12. make friends with people who know what they're doing.

get your hands dirty.

don't try to run before you learn to walk.

ask lots of questions.

never assume anything.

learn from other peoples mistakes.

13. misordia

misordia

Thank you for the replies and kind words. I'm 23 working 70hr weeks for an aerospace company and still managing to take some welding classes at my local college. My best bet is to read and read some more. As much as I would like to, working at a shop is unlikely. Any references are kindly welcome. Again thanks guys

14. misordia

misordia

As far as DVDs go, any you can think of at the top of your head? Thanks in advance

15. kscarguy

kscarguy

The interior DVD I watched was from Sid Chavers. He demostrated several different door panels, seats and seat bases. It was very good. They cost about $40 each. Looks like he has three DVD's out now. Sewing interiors requires a heavy duty walking foot sewing machine, like a Juki Brand. http://www.sidchaverscompany.com/DVD/dvd.html