Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to Germany, have hot rod questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Sled-, Jul 7, 2012.

1. -Sled-

-Sled-

Thanks man, you rock.

Dang Ravensburg is still 4 hours south of me. Know of anyone around Ramstein-Miesenbach area?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Ditto that!!!!!!

3. I was up in the northern part of Germany, away from what's called "Little America", back in the early '90s. Drove all over Hell over there, and had a great time doing it! Put close to 30K miles on our two main drivers.

These days, you'll get issued German plates, but with a subtle indicator on them indicating you are US Forces. Not like the old days, where the USAEUR plates looked much more like US-style plates. The new tags come in either the US-size like you are used to, or the more rectangular Euro-style plate, depending on what fits your vehicle. You are not subject to the German TUV inspection as an American servicemember, but the on-base inspection is pretty strict. MUCH more so than nearly any in the US.

When you insure your car, they want to know the horsepower, which is what your rates are based on. DO NOT USE SAE horsepower ratings!!! That "400-horse small-block Chevy" will bankrupt you, if you use the SAE ratings! You want to use the much lower "taxable horsepower" ratings, where that same engine will show something like 40 horsepower or so. Also, some US insurers do insure in Germany. USAA is one. A US company will save you a LOT over a German company!

X5 on the left-lane Autobahn hogs. You'll find yourself driving in the right lane, along with the campers and the big rigs, most of the time. Unless you are passing, you have to stay right. The Polizei are VERY strict on enforcing this! If you are doing a steady 100 mph (160 km/h), you are NOT the fastest thing on the road, as stated above.

Driving over there is a lot of fun. There is a huge American-car scene in Germany, and in fact, most of Europe. If the Belgium Street Cruisers Assn (BSCA) is still around, they certainly were the largest hot-rod club on the Continent. They have (had?) chapters all over, including a US-member group. Great events and a very cool newsletter in three languages, too.

Enjoy your tour, best of luck, and thanks for your service!

4. -Sled-

-Sled-

Thanks!

Great info! Thanks a lot.

I know you said that the on-base inspections are not as strict as German inspections but stricter then US inspections. Question is: Is there a clause or exception for antique vehicles?

5. I don't know what the exact policies are these days, so I can not say with certainty. They do get bent out of shape about running different-sized front and rear tires, exposed side exhaust, anything that is considered "overly loud" (their definition of "loud" isn't very loud), and things like that. You need a horn, two or four headlights, two taillights, amber turn signals are preferred, wipers, horn, first aid kit, reflective triangles, possibly speed-rated tires, and such. Proper glass is a must! You'll need fenders.

There were a few people that ran older cars and trucks at GK. A couple of '66 Mustangs and a '68 Mustang, my old '67 Plymouth wagon, a '70 F150 SWB, a '74 Chevy C10 SNB, and a '56 Chevy 210, just as examples. As long as they pass the inspection, you will be good to go. There were several hot rods in the Mainz Kastell area that were brought over by their active-duty owners, such as a '47 Ford sedan, a Deuce coupe, a couple of '30s Ford pickups, and a '49 Cadillac, to remember a few. They had no problems getting through the USAEUR inspection process.

Running a front AND rear plate is mandatory. There is zero tolerance on this. And, you can NOT run a normal US registration in-country there. Since the pick-up point for your vehicle is so close to the base, you will probably have to get the vehicle with a temp registration that will allow you to get the car from that point to the base. I don't know how that process works these days, however.

Make sure you ship spare parts in your household goods. DO NOT ship anything whatsoever with the car that is not bolted to it! They will not allow it, and it's a bad idea. American parts for cars that age are tough to find over there these days, much more so than in the '90s, where V8 American iron could still be found in yards in the Benelux and Germany.

Purely a suggestion, but I'd source a hood and side covers, as well as a top, for that car BEFORE you take it to the port or have it picked up! They get shipped on open carriers to the port, and are NOT containerized!!! They are shipped RORO (roll-on, roll-off), and packed like sardines inside the ship's hold. If you want to ship it on your dime, you might seriously consider having a professional overseas shipper take care of that for you. It'll cost you some money, but you will not be at the mercy of DoD-sourced shippers that really don't care about your car. Plus, you can have it shipped inside a container, where it stays from port-to-port. You can pick it up in Bremerhaven or Amsterdam, then drive it South to your new post, where you would get it inspected and such as you would with a DoD shipped vehicle. This way, you can ship a driver through DoD and have two cars there for you.

Looking at Ed's Rod Shop page, he looks like the go-to guy, once you get the '30 over there!!!

Just a thought.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. -Sled-

-Sled-

This part really bums me out. I really wasnt planing on putting a top or a hood on this car... do they have to drive or can i wrap it in saran wrap and let em push it?

7. Weasel

Weasel

Yeah I lived in Germany for many years - Munich. Used to get Da Wolfman and Charlie Tuna on AFN (American Forces Network). My buddy ran the P/X and of course the Americans had all the coolest vacation spots locked up tight including the Eagle's nest. The TÜV - Technische Überwachungs Verein was pretty tight on any mods even back then, but I can't be of any specific help about hot rods as I doubt if there were any in the country back when I was there. The only hot rod I ever saw was a brown and Brass T bucket with NY registration in Genoa Italy....

8. It must be drivable and have as little gas as possible in it.

9. GEISTERFAHRER

GEISTERFAHRER

Hey man I am stationed at Ramstein right now and I can tell you that its not hard but there are alot of rules. As far as the base registration goes there is no oldtimer claus as you will be required to have a hood, fenders, turn signals and high low beams you know the usual stuff. Off base they have an oldtimer type registration but they will require a heavy inspection and you will have to prove that the car is all original motor trans rear end everything the german inspection is rather tuff. I am only speaking from the small thing I have learn from being over here since 2003. But at Bottrop and bitburg you can race it down the runways there and not have to worry about that stuff driving around the show area but on the street is a different story. My wife is german and they say there is a tiny police man in every German. But when you drive over here it is great everyone follows the rules no one drives in the passing lane and the beer is amazing. Good luck with your move Mark Sorry for the book

10. Licensing the car with a civilian German registration is VERY expensive, though the oldtimer (what they cal the vintage cars/reg) rules are different from the normal modern car TUV inspection. The rules are very strict! You definitely do NOT see the crappy rodent-rods there that you see here!

11. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

That's true but his Model-A would get historic registration here providing it's safe, well built and period correct. These rules are why period correct rods are more common here than street rods. Annual road tax is 191 Euro per year. Insurance for a 1930s car less than 100 Euro, so not expensive.
    The rods I build are built to comply with the rules here and the even stricter rules in Switzerland.
    The American soldiers have regular registration on their rides. Had a '68 Caddy with 18" gold wires on it in the shop today with regular tags. Could see straight away it was American owned. Road tax would be over 2000 Euros a year on that without the historic fixed price tags. No German would pay 2000 Euros road tax to run ugly rims like that. With stock or period correct rims the road tax would be 191 Euros.

12. That's good to know. The only drawback I can see to a German civilian registration is the fact that the OP will not be able to legally get fuel for it at the considerably cheaper on-base/AAFES/ration coupon rate. Looks like the savings in insurance and registration would make up for that little issue, though.

Very cool. Learned something new again today.

13. -Sled-

-Sled-

Ed, where are you located at?

14. -Sled-

-Sled-

Now i am really stressing bringing her over there. I hope i can find some German hot rod guys close to Ramstein that can help me get her through inspections.

15. GEISTERFAHRER

GEISTERFAHRER

16. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Between Bamberg and Schweinfurt, just 7 miles outside Bamberg. Both cities have US bases which are closing down in 2014:-(

17. I always thought Holland was bad for old cars, but we have no roadtax for cars older than 25 years old, no more inspections on cars older than 1960 and insurance starts
    at about 40 euro per year, at least that's what i pay for my stock 31 Model A coupe.
    Same problem is to get it registrated, the more original the easier it is to get your paperwork in order.
    Once registrated and before 1960 you don't have to worry a lot since there are no more inspections.

Hennie

18. -Sled-

-Sled-

This is good info... thanks!

19. Hi Sled,

I will send you a PM with the email address from a gud buddy of me.
    He is also US citizen, has been living in Germany for over 20 years.

He is still working for the US Army and also drives an awesome Rod (Model A with BMW V12 engine) and some other US cars here in Germany.

The cars are still registered on US plates (although those license plates look like German ones...)
    You need to go through technical inspections, but those are done in an US army facility.
    They will check brakes etc... and probably you need some fenders on your roadster.

But in general, should be no problem for you!

Again, a PM with Roger's email address will follow.

We are located in the Frankfurt area and have also some US rodders here.

Rock n Roll
    Timo

20. -Sled-

-Sled-

I have seen pictures of the car you mention. I think it was looking at Bottrop pictures or something. Thanks for his info!

Matt

21. mean318

mean318

As I am a new member here I just saw this post and before I say anything I am wondering if you were able to ship your car? I am in Schweinfurt Germany and as Ed has stated we are closing down. If you haven't gotten your car inspected I recommend going to Baumholder for your inspection.