Register now to get rid of these ads!

ZIRGO "Elec Fan" (anyone happy with it?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I've use a Derale fan to cool my flathead for several years with great results....I'll never buy a Zirgo after hearing these horror stories about them...The next one will be Spal.

2. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

My 351W always overheated with a Zirgo... put it in the trash and bought a Spal and have been happy since

3. Mine was along those lines. New build, drove to DMV to title it (shhhh, dont tell the inspector) and half way home it gave up the ghost.

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

5. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Have you ever noticed that you see most suppliers having hot rods....Vintage Air guys have hot rods, Coker Tire = hot rods, Dynamat = Hot rods....what does Hoffman Group have? Chinese finger puzzles?

6. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

I had a zirgo 3000cfm it lasted 6000 miles and hoffman group did'nt want to help,JUNK stay away from hoffman

7. Weasel

Weasel

Has anyone used the Cooling Components Inc fan shroud assembly? I talked to them and everything seems to check out with Amp draw, wattage and CFM. The advantage is the slim depth required - 2/5/8" and I may have to use that unless moving the radiator forward nets me more depth on the '40 Sedan Delivery. I have a Lincoln and a Taurus fan put they are too deep. Maximum I can get is 4.25" after moving the radiator....

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks man!

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I have used the Cooling Components fan and shroud set up with good results.

On the F105-D Thunder Chief or Thud as they called it, the 20 mm Gatling Gun fired 6,000 rounds per minute. We used to sight in the cannon buy firing it at sheets of plywood. All you heard was a loud roar and saw a bunch of saw dust flying everywhere. Your 600 rounds per minutes is not to shabby either.

10. Speedy Bill has more hot rods than all of them combined, and he sells more offshore garbage than everyone. Your point? :rolleyes:

11. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Si, good point. Just never see anything to show us who the Hoffman people are and if they are in the industry. But a good point regarding Speedy Bill. Never bought from him either.

12. This sucks-- My new Zirgo was just installed and wired.

Now i feel like it is only a matter of time before it takes a shit!

Why do the speed and catalog companies that we are all familiar with sell this product knowing they are screwing us????

Should we list the names of those catalog companies ??????

13. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I just put a taurus fan in my 60 F100...20 bucks from junkyard
    I used 8ga wire, a 80amp constant duty solenoid, and a 75amp toggle.

Its a monster! I removed the mechanical fan and only have E-fan on low, and idled around local big swapmeet for HOURS on 87 degree day. Never went above 190.

Im sold!

14. belair

belair

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

15. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Can the Taurus fan be reversed and run in front of the radiater?

16. cbillelder

cbillelder

My vote is for Flex-a-lite fans. They make a wide variety of both electrics and mechanicals. I have one of their "lowboys" running in my '38 coupe now with no problems and am putting one in my '36 woody too. They are a U.S. company that's been around for at least 50 years so you don't have to worry about them disappearing should you need another for some reason. That says something about them.

17. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm a HVAC guy so I have tested several fans w/ my air flow testing tools.
    Pullers work better than pushers.
    Shroud improves air flow.
    Only 2 I found that flowed close to their specs of 2370 CFM were Derale & Spal. All the rest are liars.

The Zirgo- 3,000 cfm from a 16" fan & a 40 amp relay? Bullshit.

There's some Ford factory fans that have 70 amp relays that move alot of air!!!!

Amp draw is a true test of who the liars are.
    There's some EBAY fans out there that boast 2500 cfm (no load) & claim their low amp draw doesn't even need a relay. Run.

18. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Informative thread. I have a flex a lite on my toyota. Works great. Never gets hot and never had any issues in the years it has been installed. Going to look into that ford one for the studebaker.

19. Had one in the 52 ply and never had any issues at all. used it as a puller

20. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Don't waste your time or money on aftermarket fans (Vintage Air being the possible exception). Go to the junkyard and find an OEM electric that has a shroud that fits your radiator. They are cheap, easy to mount, super reliable and move way more air than any of the aftermarket stuff. One of the best is the Lincoln Mark VII, it has a 19" x 22.5" shroud, is 18" in diameter and moves 4500 cfm. I have a 93-97 Camaro dual set that fits perfectly on a 19" x 31" aluminum race radiator. The Taurus fan mentioned above is also really good and moves ~4000 cfm. Ford Windstar vans have a really good dual fan set as well. I have never paid more than $30 for any OEM fans at the pick-a-part yards and half that on their sale days.

As mentioned above, use the biggest capacity relay you can buy (75 amp at least) and 8 gauge wire because the Mark VIII fan I mentioned draws over 100 amps on start up and 45 amps running. You also have to make sure your ammeter capacity is up to the task when you add in all the other stuff you have running in the car. The higher the amp draw the more cfm you will get and you aren't going to find any of the aftermarket fans that draw anywhere near that amount.

If you want to stop worrying about cooling get a good radiator and an OEM fan.

21. Are they a pusher or puller?
    Terry

22. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Taurus fans are only pullers.
    Do a google search on Taurus 3.8 fans.
    Theres countless sites, from 4x4 to muscle car sites, using these fans.

Im telling ya, its a monster. Its so much stronger than any aftermarket fan Ive encountered.

Theres a youtube video showing the taurus fan hitting 100amp draw on initial start, then settling to 40 or 50 running on high.

I dont like those little relays, so I use a 80amp constant duty solenoid. Napa part ST85 or Orieleys or Advance part BWD S603
    Napa is more $$, so I usually use the Orieleys one. Its 39.

But my 292 Yblock ran for 5-6 hours at idle, just idling around a swapmeet, with fan on low and couldnt get above 190 on a high 80s degree day.

Im buying every taurus fan I come across to save for future use.

23. mj40's

mj40's

Mine failed in less than 300 miles. Company would not do a thing. Junk!

24. Lots of feedback - Sad news about the Zirgo i bought

Follow up Question; I have very limited space between Radiator and Water Pump, AS YOU CAN SEE IN PICTURE

(Excuse the top hose -just a temp rig up we did)

What should use to replace my Zirgo Thin Elec fan?
    *Should i go with 2 small fans? What part of radiator is most critical to cover if you suggest i use 2 small fans
    * What size/cfm is needed for my 289 ford in my 50 ford large radiator. I hope to install Air cond in future

Attached Files:

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Check out these articles:http://www.fordmuscle.com/TechDepartment/cooling.php The dual fan is also a good option if you have clearance issues as you can center the water pump pulley between the two fans as the pictures will show.The "Junkyard Fan" is the Taurus fan mentioned in several posts.

26. ive just cast my eye over some Hoffman steering arms and front end components and they look like they were cast in a kids sand pit, the worst ive ever seen, so I wouldn't expect much more from their electrical equipment.

27. What other "dual fans" have you guys used in TIGHT Spaces

28. Clik

Clik

I've got plenty of room, so, I was planning to run a puller and pusher as a backup. Thanks for the heads up on the Zirgos.

29. kwhizz

kwhizz

Do not buy "Anything" that is made by the Hoffman Group...........It's all the cheapest Chinese Junk they can buy.......It looks like the real stuff ..... Absolute Garbage.....

30. Irishman

Irishman

But their magazine adverts are so glossy and slick.

They even have photos of guys grinning with their thumbs up.

Really, all they need is a Hellraiser puzzlebox and I would fear I could not resist their "pleasures".