Register now to get rid of these ads!

What if gasoline was no longer available?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm watching a rig drill an oil well right now. Plenty of oil in the Niobrara, and the Bakkan too. Good thing, or I'd be out of a job.

2. jamesdmikesell

jamesdmikesell
    from utah

sorry ragtop im just a grunt best wishes to you and your family hope you have a great summer and you dont get thrown cause your a pain in the ass

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Weeks46... Is that another one of those amphicars in your avatar? LOL

4. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

LOL, thanks! You do know I was only playing, right? ;)

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

me and my friends have always said we'd do this if it ever happened

6. This is propaganda to keep premium prices up at the pump.
    Man has a few million sq/miles of land to explore yet before they say they have drilled everywhere and we have run out.
    Anyways.
    We should be encouraging the minions to convert to electric cars so there is more petrol left for the V8 guys to burn.:D

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It already works. I got a few batches to put in a turbo-diesel 1965 Lincoln Continental that I built a few years ago. Good stuff. Now it just needs to be scaled-up.

8. rld14

rld14

Shale Oil.

America uses roughly 7 billion barrels of oil a year. If the government wanted, we could reduce this within 10 years to nearer 5 billion barrels a year or less as roughly half of our oil consumption is in the form of Gasoline. Before anyone jumps on my case, it's not by driving stupid Priuses, it's by encouraging the use of modern diesel cars. 30mpg Grand Cherokees? They exist. 60mpg BMW 3 Series? They exist. There's no push to market them here.

We have recoverable resources of shale oil, at today's technology levels, of at least a trillion barrels.

1,000,000,000,000 divided by 7,000,000,000 is just shy of 143 years.

I am not all that worried.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  9. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have run a brigs lawn mower on kerosene, just to see if I could. It ran great.

Also ran it on paint thinner, dont do that.

10. jamesdmikesell

jamesdmikesell
    from utah

rag top im just a grunt i hope you and your family have a great summer and you dont get thrown out for being a pain in the ass

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I DON'T KNOW HOW TRUE THIS IS, I was told this by an old-timer... He said that back in the days of running shine, a lot of runners would have a dump switch inline with their fuel lines. If they would get chased by the law, they would flip the switch and the shine would flow into the fuel system, and A) give them more push-water for a getaway and B) destroy any evidence that they were running any quantity of shine. IF that's true, sounds like an engine could run on just about anything fermented in a still. Again, don't know if it was true or if that's some movie-type stuff.

12. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

There is no definitive way to calculate how much oil is in the earth!!! That is basic high school geology. All "experts" can do is estimate, based on estimations, approximately how much of something they think might be in the ground...

Regardless, as has already been mentioned, as long as there is money to be made we will have gasoline. A lot of people are unaware that the technology for synthesizing gasoline has been around for well over 50 years. Think about it... We already have synthetic oils on the market. Mobil has owned technology since at least the 70s to convert methanol into gasoline. Not a gasoline substitute, but real, honest to goodness gasoline. Same chemical make up, same properties, etc. But there is still money to be made in the oil fields, and until gas gets so expensive that people legitimately stop buying.......

13. jamesdmikesell

jamesdmikesell
    from utah

yea ragtop best wishes sorry about the 2nd post i didnt think the 1st went through best wishes to you and your loved ones

14. What boggles my mind sometimes is how much energy is expended to do things now days. EVERYTHING is petroleum based that surrounds you now or was created by means of a fossil fuel. We here on the Hamb recycle old and make new again the old cars that were created many moons ago. Think about how primitive the cars used to be and the amount of work that goes into building a new more fuel efficient vehicle nowdays vs. the old car that is already in existence..... Once an interesting comparison was told to me, o/t car but interesting VW Bugs been around since 37'- or 39' I can't remember from my Veedub days, well they used to get like 35mpg back in the 60s-70s right.... now lets see 79' was the last year a aircooled bug was sold off a dealership lot "New". Fast forward 30+ years and we still think 35 mpg is great mileage for a "NEW" small car.

I have read literature about stock model A(s) getting 28mpg, I call bullshit on 28 but have seen 21mpg from stockers on todays fuel. 21mpg is still better then alot of vehicles people seem to prefer to drive nowdays. If you had a choice of any car to drive I doubt it would get better then 17-18 mpg. I know I sure would love to have a Purple People Eater to take to Jack in The box..................... think it was supposedly less then 4mpg.

15. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Back atcha! Jimmy Buffett once said "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane..." OK, he might have said it a few times. I tend to agree with him though. Nothing personal, I was only ribbing ya. Have a great summer (what's left of it) yourself, and best of everything to you and yours as well!

16. slammed

slammed

No gasoline? There would be much bigger thing's on people's mind. FOOD. Water. And their 'pills'.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One thing that I have learned in my lifetime is to never say never. We think this gasoline we are so addicted to will last forever, but any of us who were around during the "gas shortages" of the 70's know that the pipeline can be shut off in a heartbeat.

Remember odd and even gas days ? Gas rationing, where you couldn't fill up ? Lines around the block and gas stations being out of gas altogether? We would be at work and someone would come back from lunch and tell us they found gas at some remote station and we would all jump in our cars and race to get there before they ran out. I saw more than one fist fight at the pumps because people were scared to death they wouldn't get their turn at the pump.

It is going to happen again, maybe not in 5 years, maybe not in 20 years, but all it would take is for one of the oil producing countries overseas to become embroiled in a serious war and we would all be riding horses and bicycles again. I may not be here to see it, but I really think it will happen.

I have to admit, I would love to have an electric car. I drive 8 miles a day, just to and from the shop, and it would be great to not have to buy gas often, if at all.

Don

18. gotit

gotit

I heard the best line u have hear in a long time....

I was at aparty little get together on Thursday and this guy had a car that he put a smaller mill in. He said he increased his mileage by 2-3 mpg and he was happy..

That was when he proceded to tell me that every time he sees a prius he gives them thumbs up and trust to thank them for saving fuel so that he has more to burn. I love that concept. Maybe the car manufacturers should build more electric....lol

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

I Would Hitchhike

20. Have you ever seen a real aggressive buggy race??
    I mean between a couple real aggressive and stout horses (attached to buggies)??

...pretty impressive stuff! :rolleyes:

The question IS valid....and the day may come.
    Heaven? (insert your personal denominational choice here) help us...as we will be mostly fu**ed at that point.

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, he's burning something alright, it's called money. Record profits to the oil companies last several years straight thanks to folks like him. What I love is my wife driving her Prius getting 45-50mpg around town hauling the kids safely and us saving money everyday of the week while she is at it. Was $30K new fully loaded with navigation, leather, everything out the door 5 + years ago. A lot of room, especially in the rear seats, great family car despite what some people want to fool themselves thinking. We bought it because it is actually one of the best family cars out there in that quality and price range. The fuel savings is just extra. Not 1 problem ever, that includes rattles, squeaks, etc. I love that concept.

22. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

cold fusion isnt dead yet. just takin big bizz a while to figure out how to charge us for somthing we could get for free. Several companies and gov agencies lookin at it now. ray

23. sophia.nickson11

sophia.nickson11

It's all bureaucratic crap. They will mold everything to fill government's treasury. And people will have to pay for it.

24. If and when we are no longer able to purchase gasoline for our cars I'll just go over to Doc Browns and get him to install a Mr. Fusion Flux Capacitor,,I hear they he has changed the original design and you no longer need to use the expensive small amount of plutonium,they now run on garbage. :D HRP

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  25. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I'm not worried about getting gas, my bigest problem is getting tapes for my 8 track and a ribbon for my typewriter!

26. In the post I clarify that the hypothetical gasoline I was talking about would not work in old engines... There will be fuel, it would only work in modern engines. So I didn't mean Armageddon type-stuff.

People were saying they'd build stills and run on straight ethanol... Not sure how homeowners associations and insurance companies would feel about that, but OK...

Propane... Is there a traditional carb/valve that would work with propane? Sure, we could adapt, make it work... I know I will, but...

We got people pissing an moaning about bias vs. radials, 12v vs 6v, flathead vs... anything...

So... is driving your car more important than period correctness?

Is it honest to adapt, hide and maybe disguise something as something else to keep it on the road vs. keeping them historically accurate in the worst case scenario. Where do you draw the line and say "No, this is not right, I won't change it, I'd rather just park it"

27. There is more crude oil seeping from the ocean floors every day that equals one full supertanker worth. Nature continues to produce crude. In fact, there have been reports of oil fields replenishing themselves as oil is pumped out of them! Kinda blows that argument about "we're running out!' silliness. Between crude, shale oil, natural gas, and other sources, we've got several hundred years worth of accessable resources worldwide. Much of that is right here in North America.

28. I'll tell you what.... That's what Hank Hill of Strickland Propane has been saying since the last gas crisis in 1974.

29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I think we'll be FINE. We'll have plenty of gasoline until December 21, 2012. Won't matter after that, right? :eek:

30. In 1992 I had a Citroen AX diesel. It did 85 MPG without even trying. It had a big diesel engine and weighed bugger all. It's the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.