Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a 37 Lincoln Zephyr.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wensum Valley Rods, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

After years of dreaming I have finally bought a Lincoln Zephyr. I have always wanted a 3 window coupe (haven't we all) but the price has always been out of my reach when they turned up. I have missed out on two rough bodyshells in the Hamb classifieds, mainly because I had no idea about shipping costs etc (I am in the uk).
    Well this time things all planned out my way. I have been watching this Zephyr for about a year as it was advertised all over the forums and on ebay. It to was out of my price range, even considering how rough it is. The price however slowly came down to a level that I could almost afford. I had just finished rebuilding a mates 38 chevy pickup when the price was dropped again. So with money from the truck rebuild I contacted the seller sorted transport to the docks and the shipping and struck a deal.
    A lot of you guys will probably think I am mad for buying this but its a dream I have, its all I could afford at the time and they don't turn up all that often, and I'm not getting any younger.
    Here's a link to the ad in the classifieds
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670501&highlight=lincoln+zephyr

The deal was struck with the seller keeping the stock V12 and radiator. It was only good for parts anyway. I have a french flathead here that should bolt straight up to the stock box. I intend this to become a daily driver when it is done.
    Plan is to fabricate all new floors, rockers, door skins and frames, go through the steering and brakes (will probably go hydraulic eventually) and get it on the road and registered as quickly as possible.
    Then I will work on it at my own leisure. The laws are changing so much over here I think its best to get it registered asap.

I no doubt I will be asking a few questions in the future.

I should be collecting it from the docks on Friday. Then I will be able to see just what I have bought.

Paul.

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Congrats! One of my all time favorites!Keep us posted.

3. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

always been my favorite car. good luck on the project!

4. If it makes you feel less apprehensive, I've dealt with contraptionist before---been to his place in MI, and bought a 'glass body from him--he and his brother are nice guys to deal with and have some pretty neat stuff. I was happy with what I bought :cool:

5. swissmike

swissmike

Good choice. I saw this in the classifieds and thought it was a decent deal, considering it is fairly complete with gauges, skirts, etc. A lot of the rust seems to be superficial. Good luck with the car! Keep us updated.

6. rld14

rld14

I saw this car in the classifieds and a 37 Zephyr coupe is on my bucket list... This car was just a lot above my skill set.

It's probably the cheapest 37 Zephyr coupe that's buildable tho...

7. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

congrats on the car!

8. VonKool13

VonKool13

I say hell yeah to you, great score. Even if there is alot of rust, with hard work and lots of patience, you will have one of the baddest mothertruckers on the road.

9. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hey Earl, I'm not really apprehensive, Tom seems a great guy and was happy to help taking photo's of whatever part I needed pics of. He even sorted out a good tyre (or should that be tire :) ) that holds air so that I could get it transported. Really easy guy to deal with on my opinion.
    I have no doubt that it will be as he said when I collect it.

Roll on Friday !!!!

10. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

Congrats on your zephyr.

11. Congrats, the 37 Zephyr is one of my favorites as well. That one does seem to be very buildable condition. People have started with much worse on 32's, so you are ahead of them!

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice project...always a classic, those Lincolns !
    Good for you,
    Cheers...

13. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Collected the Lincoln from the docks Friday, its better than I thought it would be , pretty rusty inside with no floors, but I already knew that. The body only has surface rust and is a lot better than I was expecting.
    I would like to say a big thankyou to Tom (Contraptionist) for being dead honest and a stand up guy. For anybody thinking of buying from him he gets the thumbs up from me.
    Here's some pics of it back home. Its now in my workshop. Will do a build thread as soon as I start it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul.

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Looks good! Good luck with the project, I have always liked late 30's Lincoln coupes.

15. Good for you friend and good luck on your build ...

16. bonesy

bonesy

The Lincoln, tow truck and garage look cool!

17. flatford39

flatford39

How far did you tow that thing with those little wheels on the trailer??

18. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Congrats on a great find and a successful deal. Always good to hear about someone who represents their stuff honestly. Have a blast with it!

19. Good for you man! '37's are the best in my opinion. I can't tell you how many times I looked at that classified ad hoping it would sell and stop haunting me!

20. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Thanks for the comments guys.
    To answer a few questions, The small trailer tyres/wheels are commercial/industrial wheels with 10 ply commercial tyres on. They are made by a company over here called ifor williams. one of the best trailers over here. Its a very heavy plant trailer and tows well. It was a 300 mile round trip to the docks and back.
    The car in the avator is a 1959 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer, its been chopped around 6" been 2 doored, amongst many other things and runs a 429 bb with c6 box. Iv'e owned it since 1991 and was at one time my daily driver. Now waiting a freshen up and an engine rebuild.
    The truck is my daily driver Ford and its an F3 long bed. Its running a 351m and fmx (soon to be changed for a 351c and aod.
    The garage is an original Nissen hut from ww2. Its one of three of them that we have. This one was here when we bought the house (was probably my main reason for buying the house) the others we bought elsewhere and are waiting to be erected.
    Lastly, Cactus may your haunting stop now, as its definitely not coming up for sale again while I'm alive,

Paul.

21. Great car and nice to see it in Europe.
    I've seen it for sale too, but too many other projects and lack of money stopped me from buying it.
    Good luck with the build

Hennie

22. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I use to own the coupe top and doors that made that car. Contraptionist turned his 4 door sedan into a coupe with those parts. It was a little rough but with some time and love it will be a really cool car once again. Good luck!

23. RadicalRides

RadicalRides
    from Stockholm

This Will be great!!
    Good luck

24. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

25. fordpatina

fordpatina

nice any pictures of the dash .do you have the taillight assys? looks great

26. Love it, what a great score. Is that a three window top on a four door btw?

27. sophia.nickson11

sophia.nickson11

Congrats and Good luck with your project. :)

28. Even as it is, that is a beautiful car! looking forward to seeing it come along.

29. Roger53

Roger53

Ya must of turned some heads with a combo going down the motorway. Now geter done! Post many pic's. Roger

30. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

This is a 3window coupe roof on a sedan body, but with cut and shut coupe doors.

No pics of the dash yet, its all there and the gauges are in great condition. I haven't any rear lights at all or the front headlights.

I have started on it, I will start a build thread soon.

Paul.