Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome Reverse Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage tin, Nov 14, 2010.

1. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Cant argue with the looks of reversed chrome wheels.

2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

At the risk of sounding stupid, what does "chrome reverse" mean exactly? Are the hoops flipped so the inner part of the hoop is to the outside? I noticed in a lot of the pictures there are no steps in the hoop except for the bead flange. They look much different than the chrome smoothies on my truck.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, for a reversed wheel, the center is removed and flipped, what was the back side of the rim is now showing from the front. I've got some old reversed 50's Chevy wheels and the valve stem is on the inside of the wheel now.

Some of the wheels in this pic thread are just chromed OE style wheels although people refer to them as chrome reverse, just like how "mags" is sometimes used to refer to aluminum wheels.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  4. rodl

rodl

When i was a boy in the late 50's early/60's Mercury rims were the most sought after (for their profile) You needed to drill new valve stem holes and weld up the old one. Some guys would chrome the whole wheel, while others would paint the centre - usually red - add spun s/s domes under the wheel and bolt on with chrome acorn nuts. looks real cool daddyo!
    RodL

5. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

2.5" backspacing is perfect. That is what i have on my 63.

6. S.F.

S.F.

wow dude, you cant just sneek in a picture of a Deora clone and get away with it!!:D you got a build thread going about this project???

7. S.F.

S.F.

Actually that car is pretty cool and period correct IF it didnt have all that shit painted all over the side of it

8. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

heres some of mine,love chrome reverse.

Attached Files:

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah, agreed. What the fuck man! Post that shit up!:eek::D:eek: Deora rules.

10. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

my coupe

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  11. Do you have a picture?

12. the 28

Attached Files:

13. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Mine.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  14. Colville

Colville

This Olds looks sick!! Love them!! Great post!

Anyone seen it done like this? Dont know what this forum is I just googles reversed steelies.
    http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=92220

Has anyone done a "how to" For reversing steelies? I get the idea of how its done, just would be helpful. Keep the awesome photos coming!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  15. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Stole these from Rikster's Larry Watson thread, I saw this '56 Sports coupe and fell head over heals for it, chrome reverse rims and all.

DeepPurple 56Sportscoupe.jpg

DeepPurple 56Sportscoupeside.jpg

Scotty

EVL401 and benchseat4speed like this.
  16. Retroline

Retroline

They're not reversed but the big old land yacht got a new set of shoes this weekend.

[​IMG]

17. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

After reviewing this whole thread...Still can't decide if these are "REAL" Chrome Reverse. Bolted on a 55 Chevy in California in 1968. Still on car, but a bit surface rusty. Trying to decide weather to rechrome em. Experts...what say you? Reverse or "smoothie"? Thanks!

Attached Files:

benchseat4speed likes this.
  18. rodl

rodl

[​IMG]
    This is out of 2010 tech topic - its a 1950 mercury rim see how smooth it looks compared to the front of most rims today. This is why the rims were reversed - for the look. It could also be enhanced by widening the rim to take a larger tyre and also by the back spacing to give that dished looked. in the 50's when i did mine the centres were painted red and only the rims were chrome. Various ways to dress it up were chrome acorn nuts and domes which protruded from the centre of the hub with the wheel over the top. small ford hupcaps etc. The dough boys also used wide whites!
    If your modern rim looks the same on both sides not much point in reversing, just chrome the rim and paint the centre which is what I'm doing with my project. RodL
    RodL

19. jipsi01

jipsi01
    BANNED
    from Dhaka

This a very good wheel, I like this wheel, Thanks all for showing this pictures..

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I've always liked them and once upon a time it seemed like everyone had them but by the 70s, Chrome Reverse were Passe'. Nobody wanted them anymore.

21. S.F.

S.F.

ah, yes...the reversed 49-51 mercury wheel. The best looking rim on the planet. Im a hoarder of those, I have a problem. They are my crack

LSGUN likes this.
  22. bmax65

bmax65
    from usa

Very enjoyable thread....lots of neat stuff and cars. Wow. This has really got me thinking of changing my thoughts on rims for the Galaxie. Was thinking about old mags, but man, some of these chrome steels are beautiful. Maybe I should look into getting the oem steels done up.

You guys come up with some of the coolest pics I've ever seen. Makes me wish I could go way back when, and fill the trunk up with old goodies. And the historical stuff is amazing.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this. The HAMB is helping out alot.

23. Short Bull

Short Bull

My dad purchased a set in the 60's for the $11 off the shelf in a hardware store. Still have two of them. My favorite rim of a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

benchseat4speed likes this.
  24. vintage tin

vintage tin

What a great looking car!

25. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Here are mine, just got'em at the Falcon Nationals in Louisville......old skool, still uses the factory hub caps...yes, 4 lug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black_Sheep likes this.
  26. SOHC427

SOHC427

Chrome reverse, or a Torq Thrust D, 2 best ever, in my opinion!

27. Deuces

Deuces

28. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Was that you at the etown Summernationals? If so, cars look REALLY GOOD.